Forums: Community: Campground:
How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

grubbjasona

Jun 4, 2008, 7:47 PM
Post #1 of 104 (9527 views)
Shortcut

How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym?
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ladies... There are a couple cute girls at my local climbing gym and I'm really struggling with approaching them. (I really don't want be "that guy" that tries to hit on chicks while they're working out). I was wondering, how do most women feel about being asked out/hit on while at the climbing gym? Are you there just to workout and get ur climbing fix, or is it an acceptable singles place? Any insight would be extremely helpful... Thanks.

wonderwoman

Jun 4, 2008, 8:05 PM
Post #2 of 104 (9521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grubbjasona] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do a search... and then go to the campground!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...9;page=unread#unread

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Jun 4, 2008, 8:07 PM)

Partner macherry

Jun 4, 2008, 8:08 PM
Post #3 of 104 (9510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you are that guy.

moved to campground

macherry

(This post was edited by macherry on Jun 4, 2008, 8:09 PM)

wjca

Jun 4, 2008, 8:15 PM
Post #4 of 104 (9496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
you are that guy.

And you even have you're own cool website with lots of good info about being "that guy":

http://www.thatguy.com/

traddad

Jun 4, 2008, 8:20 PM
Post #5 of 104 (9489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wear a Speedo, grease up and take your shirt off. Chicks dig that.

And don't shave your back hair.

grubbjasona

Jun 4, 2008, 8:28 PM
Post #6 of 104 (9483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
you are that guy.

Dammit, that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just keep being a creeper and eyeball them from across the gym.

traddad

Jun 4, 2008, 8:32 PM
Post #7 of 104 (9472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grubbjasona] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

grubbjasona wrote:
macherry wrote:
you are that guy.

Dammit, that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just keep being a creeper and eyeball them from across the gym.

And little notes passed via her best freind are cool, too.

Hell....what am I saying. I met my wife (10 years, 1 kid) at the PRG. Black motorcycle jacket, pony tail and black jeans......damn...gotta go.

grubbjasona

Jun 4, 2008, 8:45 PM
Post #8 of 104 (9459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:
macherry wrote:
you are that guy.

And you even have you're own cool website with lots of good info about being "that guy":

No, this site doesn't really apply to me. I wasn't cool enough to be an alcoholic frat boy. I lacked the backwards baseball caps and barbwire bicep tats.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jun 4, 2008, 8:47 PM
Post #9 of 104 (9457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:
macherry wrote:
you are that guy.

That went from kinda not really funny to lame quick. And sunk even lower when you realize the site is devoted to anti-alcoholism.

grubbjasona

Jun 4, 2008, 8:51 PM
Post #10 of 104 (9451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, Chris Farley's brother talking about/advocating the foundation set up in Chris's name kinda saddened me a bit. He was hilarious but it's sad he had so many demons.

wjca

Jun 4, 2008, 9:03 PM
Post #11 of 104 (9443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
wjca wrote:
macherry wrote:
you are that guy.

That went from kinda not really funny to lame quick. And sunk even lower when you realize the site is devoted to anti-alcoholism.

Yeah, I realized that about 2 minutes after I posted it.

Gmburns2000

Jun 4, 2008, 9:04 PM
Post #12 of 104 (9441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
you are that guy.

moved to campground

macherry

I'm just curious. Your response seems to indicate that this was a stupid question. What, do people only meet at bars, the park, or the classroom? People aren't allowed to meet at the crag or in the gym? With all the climbing couples I see out there, I find it difficult to believe that for every couple only one was a climber when they both met.

OK, besides the whole "if you have to ask then you're already behind in the confidence game", why would a gym (or crag) be off limits for this guy? Cause I've also heard that women don't like to be approached at bars either when their with their friends (which they always are). Yet, I have friends who have met that way. I've also heard don't ask folks out at work. Yet I know people who have met that way, too. In fact, god forbid, I know people who met while, GASP, climbing!

Of course, if I'm not reading your comment correctly, my apologies in advance. I just think the whole, "don't ever hit on me while I'm climbing," is garbage. Because we all know that it's not the climbing, but the guy instead.

Myxomatosis

Jun 4, 2008, 9:16 PM
Post #13 of 104 (9433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just ball's up and do it. If shes walking and breathing its fair game, any where, any time, you gotta take every opportunity.

Its about the approach, I usually find if you talk to them about climbing they are usually just happy someone new is talking to them (80% of people are the gym go for the social side of it). Usually they don't even realise they are being hit on.

If they shoot ya down or give you a cold shoulder... move onto to the next one Laugh

Oh and offering to guide them outside always goes down well I've found.

PS: Offering beta while they are climbing is not a good idea.

lagr01

Jun 4, 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #14 of 104 (9429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on the Gym. You should go to carabinerīs gym, girls like to wear slutty outfits and have sex over there.

grubbjasona

Jun 4, 2008, 9:23 PM
Post #15 of 104 (9427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:
Just ball's up and do it. If shes walking and breathing its fair game

quote]

I like this... but does this mean i have to approach her while she's walking, cause that would make things significantly more difficult.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jun 4, 2008, 9:26 PM
Post #16 of 104 (9424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jesus man, what do they teach you in school? Kids don't even know how to use a baseball bat to take out someones kneecaps anymore? What's this world coming to.

dr_feelgood

Jun 4, 2008, 9:27 PM
Post #17 of 104 (9421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
wjca wrote:
macherry wrote:
you are that guy.

Yeah, I realized that about 2 minutes after I posted it.
I want a public apology in the soapbox. Now.

Myxomatosis

Jun 4, 2008, 9:29 PM
Post #18 of 104 (9417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grubbjasona wrote:
Myxomatosis wrote:
Just ball's up and do it. If shes walking and breathing its fair game

In reply to:

I like this... but does this mean i have to approach her while she's walking, cause that would make things significantly more difficult.

Just as long as she aint in the restroom I think you will be fine Laugh

grubbjasona

Jun 4, 2008, 9:38 PM
Post #19 of 104 (9411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
Jesus man, what do they teach you in school? Kids don't even know how to use a baseball bat to take out someones kneecaps anymore? What's this world coming to.

Granted, the Tanya Harding approach solves the walking problem. However, it severely diminishes her allure... somewhat counterproductive in the long run.

Partner macherry

Jun 4, 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #20 of 104 (9393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
macherry wrote:
you are that guy.

moved to campground

macherry

I'm just curious. Your response seems to indicate that this was a stupid question. What, do people only meet at bars, the park, or the classroom? People aren't allowed to meet at the crag or in the gym? With all the climbing couples I see out there, I find it difficult to believe that for every couple only one was a climber when they both met.

OK, besides the whole "if you have to ask then you're already behind in the confidence game", why would a gym (or crag) be off limits for this guy? Cause I've also heard that women don't like to be approached at bars either when their with their friends (which they always are). Yet, I have friends who have met that way. I've also heard don't ask folks out at work. Yet I know people who have met that way, too. In fact, god forbid, I know people who met while, GASP, climbing!

Of course, if I'm not reading your comment correctly, my apologies in advance. I just think the whole, "don't ever hit on me while I'm climbing," is garbage. Because we all know that it's not the climbing, but the guy instead.

sigh, because this question gets old and the ladies room is meant for women to have a comfortable, non intimidating, and non flame forum for discussion. It's not a place for guys looking for advice for picking up women at the gym.

yeah, that's why women go to the gym.............it's not about the climbing

uhoh

Jun 4, 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #21 of 104 (9383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grubbjasona wrote:
Ladies... There are a couple cute girls at my local climbing gym and I'm really struggling with approaching them. (I really don't want be "that guy" that tries to hit on chicks while they're working out). I was wondering, how do most women feel about being asked out/hit on while at the climbing gym? Are you there just to workout and get ur climbing fix, or is it an acceptable singles place? Any insight would be extremely helpful... Thanks.

If she's not wearing a burkha then you would be entirely justified in clubbing her over the head and dragging her back to your cave.

grubbjasona

Jun 4, 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #22 of 104 (9379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhoh] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
grubbjasona wrote:

If she's not wearing a burkha then you would be entirely justified in clubbing her over the head and dragging her back to your cave.

Where am I gonna get a club in the climbing gym?...

unabonger

Jun 4, 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #23 of 104 (9375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grubbjasona wrote:
macherry wrote:
you are that guy.

Jesus dude. Sack up, go say hi. "Do you know how to do this damn V3? I keep falling of the second move."

And if you only approach girls, you'll be that guy. So be social, talk to everyone, and later tell the girl you like she's got a sexy voice, but she's probably a brat and you'd never get along. It's called flirting. And if she does it back, tell her you know a great Thai place nearby, and you'll take her if she promises to not eat with her fingers.

petsfed

Jun 4, 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #24 of 104 (9368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work at a climbing gym. That guy who is "on the prowl" at the gym? Yeah, he's a weak sauce douche bag.

Ok, yeah, I get it, women who climb are very attractive, it's a handy bonus of the sport. But for fuck's sake man, you are just creepy. I feel sorry for you man. You're not motivated enough to focus on the climbing that you paid for, and not polite enough to realize that these women are there for the work out that they paid for. Its ok to be friendly. Hell, invite them out for drinks with your buddies afterwards. But please, PLEASE, don't embarass yourself by trying to actually ask them out.

If you are not there to pull, meet *climbing* partners (not sex partners) and pull some more, you clearly should've used the membership fees on something else.

I've got this rule that has worked out for me pretty well so far: never start climbing with a person of the preferred gender with the goal of starting a relationship. If you're compatible, you'll figure that much out pretty quick, and it'll develop naturally. If you aren't and you try to force it, you're out a climbing partner to boot. But if you don't try to force it, you've still got somebody to climb with, which is pretty cool when you think about it.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jun 4, 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #25 of 104 (9359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] How do Women feel about being approached at the climbing gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
If you are not there to pull, meet *climbing* partners (not sex partners) and pull some more, you clearly should've used the membership fees on something else.

Perhaps if you're talking the extreme example, of a person who doesn't climb but goes there to hookup. Otherwise, bullshit. To each their own. I mostly go to the gym to stay in shape for the real thing, but it can be enjoyable from a social standpoint to. That's my choice. People are free to go for whatever reason they want. Don't get your panties in a wad because some guy went over and talked to some girl that you've been sitting at your desk staring at for the last 3 months.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook