RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

pepereer

Jun 10, 2008, 2:41 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3321 views)
Shortcut

Slackline life
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does leaving a slackline up for extended periods of time significantly reduce the its longevity?

NJSlacker

Jun 11, 2008, 1:25 AM
Post #2 of 7 (3289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pepereer] Slackline life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yea, especially if it's in the sun.

pepereer

Jun 11, 2008, 3:46 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NJSlacker] Slackline life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. I set up my line in the shade to cut back on the amount of exposure my line receives from the sun.

I'm kind of wondering about how keeping the carabiners under constant tension will affect them. I figured the webbing will look weathered before its actually at the point of being unusable. I'm worried about the biners not showing any signs of weakening before they're shot.

dreday3000

Jun 11, 2008, 5:42 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experience, the major drawback you'll find is that your line will lose some elasticity if left out over a long period of time. Re tightening the line periodically should fix the problem.

kennoyce

Jun 11, 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since carabiners are made of aluminum, and the gate of the biner makes it so that the biner will only deform elastically when used for slacklining, your biners won't loose any of their strength when left for prolonged periods of time.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 11, 2008, 9:43 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Slackline life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
Since carabiners are made of aluminum, and the gate of the biner makes it so that the biner will only deform elastically when used for slacklining, your biners won't loose any of their strength when left for prolonged periods of time.

Unfortunately this isn't exactly the case. It depends on the load being left on the system. The weather won't harm it, but a decent preload can lead to deformation under extended periods.

Carabiners deform elastically with single short duration shock loads such as a lead fall, but that isn't what we're exposing them to here.

Webbing wise: yeah, it gets manky a lot quicker. It loses it's elongation characteristics making it more static and rough on the feet and it starts looking like crap due to UV exposure.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Jun 11, 2008, 11:20 PM)

Just-slackin-thru

Jun 12, 2008, 3:05 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

backyard slackline - one of mine was up for 3 years, finally broke this spring for the first time, then again 2 weeks later so I replaced it. Of course I don't try backflips or big airs on it as I am not good enough - or just too old - so that surely helped its longevity.

backyard highline - has been up for 1 year, seems fine but I am going to switch out to new webbing this month to be safe, I'll plan on that once a year I guess.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook