Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot?
Yes 7 / 24%
No 16 / 55%
I have no idea 6 / 21%
29 total votes

sidepull

Jun 10, 2008, 3:14 PM
Post #26 of 37 (763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
There is almost no research on hydration and performance...or recovery issues like muscle soreness. But I have some preliminary research stuff that was covered on this topic at a recent sports training conference I went to, so I will look at it again and post about it later.

Aerili - i just punched "soreness" and "hydration" into google scholar and found 5 promising articles in the first 2 pages - all fairly recent.

Lena - i realize transfer across athletic disciplines is often pooh-poohed here, but I know there is quite a science (art?) to recovery in the areas of weightlifting/general training. I realize that a lot of this is just an opportunity to sell supplements like creatine and glutamine, BCAA's, etc. That said, there are studies that show that consuming liquid carbs and protein within 30 minutes after exercise help reduce soreness and/or increase recovery. Not that that has anything to do with temperature. But if you're really convinced about temps, then a possible hypothesis is that the increase in temperature means you have to grip more to generate friction which means you're just working a bit harder than normal. Small switchs in exercises force the body to adapt and adaptations create soreness. It's the difference between doing normal pullups and wide grip pullups (not that anyone should ever do pullups Laugh).

lena_chita

Jun 10, 2008, 3:36 PM
Post #27 of 37 (754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
Lena - i realize transfer across athletic disciplines is often pooh-poohed here, but I know there is quite a science (art?) to recovery in the areas of weightlifting/general training. I realize that a lot of this is just an opportunity to sell supplements like creatine and glutamine, BCAA's, etc. That said, there are studies that show that consuming liquid carbs and protein within 30 minutes after exercise help reduce soreness and/or increase recovery.

I am not sure how 30 min post-workout applies in the context of climbing, where the activity is intermittenent, with a relatively short period of very intense exertion is followed by some low-stress activity like belaying (O.K., it is not ALWAYS low-stress... but that's not part of this discussion. Wink)

sidepull wrote:
But if you're really convinced about temps, then a possible hypothesis is that the increase in temperature means you have to grip more to generate friction which means you're just working a bit harder than normal. Small switchs in exercises force the body to adapt and adaptations create soreness. It's the difference between doing normal pullups and wide grip pullups (not that anyone should ever do pullups Laugh).

Could very well be true. I did feel that my hands were sweating more than normal, and everything felt slicker. I may have been over-gripping more.

el_layclimber

Jun 10, 2008, 3:50 PM
Post #28 of 37 (753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if you need to feel particularly hot or be in direct sunlight to have the weather really take it out of you. I have gotten very sick from a day spent at the beach, couldn't have been more than 70 degrees, partly cloudy, never felt hot or thirsty, but I ended up with a terrible case of heatstroke and a really bad sunburn.
I think that people who are accustomed to pushing hard are more likely not to notice that they have gone a bit too hard, and end up feeling worse than necessary the next day.

aerili

Jun 11, 2008, 4:51 AM
Post #29 of 37 (733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
Aerili - i just punched "soreness" and "hydration" into google scholar and found 5 promising articles in the first 2 pages - all fairly recent.

That is weird, so did I, but despite various different word combinations I only find two actual studies on the topic directly and they both come from National Athletic Trainers' Assoc. journal. (I did not search through 24 pages of results, however, as I tend to believe in the law of diminishing returns, heheh).

Not saying there's no effect, but it probably is more complex than x affects y in this case.

rockie

Jun 11, 2008, 4:59 AM
Post #30 of 37 (732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Would be related to the fact you dehydrate more when the weather is hot, wouldn't you say???

Can't say I do is my personal answer, but I drink well, and I always stretch too. I naturally ache after a good workout the next day.. usually those muscles I've not recently worked; and swimming never makes me ache the next day or ever.

(This post was edited by rockie on Jun 11, 2008, 5:01 AM)

rockie

Jun 11, 2008, 5:03 AM
Post #31 of 37 (730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralBenson] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GeneralBenson wrote:
My guess would be that, even though you're consuming plenty of water, you're still coming up short on things like electrolytes, sodium and potassium. Water doesn't help much if you're body doesn't have the things it needs to use water. Try stuff like Camelbak Elixir or Nuun tablets, Gu, Cliffshots, and all of that junk. I have good luck with the Elixir tabs, and I think they taste the best.

*edited to include the first letter of my post*

Powerade or gatorade are both very good ones too! Smile
It's what the doc prescribed to me when I had a vomit attack due to a patient passing it onto me (once, not that long ago, and it worked, the patient got antibiotics; I get rehydration drinks.. Smile

rockie

Jun 11, 2008, 5:08 AM
Post #32 of 37 (729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ha ha ha.. I loved that:

If you have something to say, please raise your hand and place it over your mouth.

I need to wear it on my scrubs at work, loud and clear.Laugh

rockie

Jun 11, 2008, 5:13 AM
Post #33 of 37 (729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
FWIW, when I was racing bikes, I could function just fine at 95 degree races, hour after hour after hour. I just drank a lot more, probably more than double. I think I probably popped salt tablets too, I remember using those a lot.

Anyway, I felt that as long as I kept enough fluid going through me, the only problem was that I was hot.

I find it impossible to get enough fluid while climbing. Like I said earlier, it seems to affect my strength, not my soreness.

One thing, also bike related, not climbing. I work on the pedicab, the rickshaw. It's hours and hours of riding a heavy bike. It's easy to forget to drink doing that. When I spend 10 hours on the bike with barely a sip, I feel way tired the next day. I actually feel hung over, even though no alcohol was consumed.

In my experience, hydration is pretty much the magic formula.

Try using a camelbac Tongue

clee03m

Jun 11, 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #34 of 37 (708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting...I was actually thinking the opposite. When it's so cold that I can't stop shivering, can't feel my hands, and have to stop every 5 minutes and blow on my hands to thaw them, I am sore the next day. I think it's all the over gripping. And yes, it SNOWED this Monday on my hike out. It's a bit of a June-uary here in Washington. BTW the road to South Fork is pretty clear if anyone was wondering.

lena_chita

Jun 12, 2008, 2:12 PM
Post #35 of 37 (685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Snow!!! Too bad we couldn't split the difference-- the middle ground between 95F and snowing would have made a perfect climbing weather.

iwasasportweenie

Jun 12, 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #36 of 37 (675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To build a little bit on what Sidepull said re gripping harder:

when it's very hot out, as we all know, we sweat a lot more. So unless you're preternaturally unsweaty, climbing (even at lower grades) in hot weather tends to lead to much harder gripping. I don't know that this is "over-gripping", per se, since not gripping harder with sweaty hands is a pretty good recipe for a nasty fall. I'd suggest that this could explain all around soreness, as any other surface you use climbing (e.g. arms, back) would also be slick and thus require application of greater force. Plus, feeling insecure leads to increased production of adrenaline and attendant higher output.

Dunno about a relationship between heat/dehydration and soreness, but high temps lead to vasodilation and greater blood circulation. To the extent that muscle soreness is related to uncleared products of exertion in the muscles, this would suggest high temps would decrease odds of soreness. The not-stretching hypothesis suffers from the same problem here, as warm and blood-saturated muscles are more limber than cold and bloodless ones.

Unless you were actually sore at the beginning of your day of climbing, you can probably rule out your previous workout as a potential cause. If you haven't developed soreness within 48 hours of completing a workout, you pretty much aren't going to.

So I'm going with unperceived but significant sweat-related increase in effort as the probable culprit here.

overlord

Jun 16, 2008, 10:51 AM
Post #37 of 37 (638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iwasasportweenie] Do you get more muscle soreness from climbing when the weather is hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this is imho due to two reasons:

a) you spend less time warming up. you feel warmed up faster in warm temps, but that does not mean that you are in fact warmed up. result, more soreness.

b) dehydration. even if it doesnt cause cramps, my muscles feel much weaker when im dehydrated and i assume that it means that they also feel more stress. maybe someone who knows more about this can confirm or reject this thesis.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook