Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Omega Cam Breaking!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next page Last page  View All


michaellane


Jun 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #376 of 388 (9310 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 16, 2004
Posts: 89

Re: [baja_java] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, All ...

We just completed the final testing a couple weeks ago and are putting together an interesting summary that I’ll link to on this thread shortly.

Nutshell: we built a fixture based on the mold of the feature we took at Josh. Dropped a bunch of weight onto cams placed in that crack and recorded what happened on a high-speed digital camera we rented for the testing.

As expected, proper placement is everything. Place a cam ... any brand or model ... in the fixture poorly and it gets spit out. Place it properly and it holds strong.

Our initial assessment regarding why the cam broke was supported in this recent testing ... because the cam was bottomed against the back of the feature, it wasn't able to shift into direction of pull and, due to the extra length of the unfurled links, leverage on those hinges caused its failure.

As for BajaJava's suggestion regarding Flare Induced Force Amplification and how it may have contributed ... we spent a lot of time on this concept and think you're right, Baja, but it's near-impossible to prove it.

It's true that as a flare angle increases, the force the cam exerts increases substantially even as the holding power of the cam decreases. To accurately measure the forces involved would require a test fixture of immense complexity. Whether FIFA played a role in the incident--or to what extent--was not determined by our testing.

What was revealed was interesting, but not necessarily revolutionary: well-placed gear holds better than compromised placements and the difference between “good” and “bad” placements can, sometimes, be extremely subtle. The idea that you can simply stuff a cam into a crack and assume it’s good is a dangerous one. We used to call it “Nutcraft” when we studied the nuances of how passive pro interacts with rock and climber and I think “Camcraft” is just as important, even if it's not always obviously so.

One interesting thing we noted was how important "setting" the piece was. A simple tug on the gear before it's loaded made a difference in whether the gear held or popped. Even some compromised placements that were spit out when we didn't "set" the piece held fast when the gear was "set" prior to the load.

When we watch the replay on the high-speed video, it’s fascinating to watch the cam during the drop. In that split-second of action, there’s a lot of stuff going on with the cam as it works really hard to hold the crack … very interesting to watch.

We’ll try to post some of it on our website and link to it from here so you can see it.

As always, if you have any questions, I welcome you to contact me. Call me at 1.800.360.3990 or email at info@omegapac.com to my attention. I’ll get the message.

Climb safe …

--ML


getout87


Jun 10, 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #377 of 388 (9295 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 597

Re: [michaellane] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Michael,
That is so awesome. I'm very glad to see companies actively pursuing issues like this and following through until the end. I can tell you with all certainty that Link cams will be on my rack in the (hopefully) near future.


spikeddem


Jun 10, 2008, 1:24 PM
Post #378 of 388 (9170 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [getout87] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm really interested in seeing those videos!!!!!!!


healyje


Jun 10, 2008, 2:13 PM
Post #379 of 388 (9116 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 22, 2004
Posts: 4199

Re: [michaellane] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

michaellane wrote:
Our initial assessment regarding why the cam broke was supported in this recent testing ... because the cam was bottomed against the back of the feature, it wasn't able to shift into direction of pull and, due to the extra length of the unfurled links, leverage on those hinges caused its failure.

Michael, thanks for the report. This is exactly what I was positing all along - any situation which will lead to lateral loads on the cam lobe linkages is to be avoided at all cost. And while I may not have been able to break a linkage with my bare hands and a pair of pliers in the [informal] testing Bill and I did, the fact that baja broke a second one with a tug while checking out the Josh placement for himself tells you the threshold is at a level where you do actually need to engage your brain when using them.

As you stated, anytime a cam - any cam - is slammed into place without study, you are simply gambling. And anyone who thinks there is some way cams can, or should be, designed or built to eliminate the requirement for rapid and complete brain engagement during placements is kidding themselves.

My perspect on Link Cams remains the same - it's an innovative cam design which offers unique benefits, but one which requires you to think carefully about how you are placing it, how it will be loaded, and how it needs to be slung, if necessary, to prevent it from shifting when you climb past it.


(This post was edited by healyje on Jun 10, 2008, 2:18 PM)


JohnCook


Jun 10, 2008, 2:17 PM
Post #380 of 388 (9102 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 26, 2006
Posts: 221

Re: [healyje] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your last paragraph counts for all cams, not just link cams.
Care needs to be taken whenever placing gear, active or passive, to avoid any number of problems which can occur.


notapplicable


Jun 11, 2008, 5:07 AM
Post #381 of 388 (8983 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [michaellane] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

michaellane wrote:
Hey, All ...

We just completed the final testing a couple weeks ago and are putting together an interesting summary that I’ll link to on this thread shortly.

Nutshell: we built a fixture based on the mold of the feature we took at Josh. Dropped a bunch of weight onto cams placed in that crack and recorded what happened on a high-speed digital camera we rented for the testing.

As expected, proper placement is everything. Place a cam ... any brand or model ... in the fixture poorly and it gets spit out. Place it properly and it holds strong.

Our initial assessment regarding why the cam broke was supported in this recent testing ... because the cam was bottomed against the back of the feature, it wasn't able to shift into direction of pull and, due to the extra length of the unfurled links, leverage on those hinges caused its failure.

As for BajaJava's suggestion regarding Flare Induced Force Amplification and how it may have contributed ... we spent a lot of time on this concept and think you're right, Baja, but it's near-impossible to prove it.

It's true that as a flare angle increases, the force the cam exerts increases substantially even as the holding power of the cam decreases. To accurately measure the forces involved would require a test fixture of immense complexity. Whether FIFA played a role in the incident--or to what extent--was not determined by our testing.

What was revealed was interesting, but not necessarily revolutionary: well-placed gear holds better than compromised placements and the difference between “good” and “bad” placements can, sometimes, be extremely subtle. The idea that you can simply stuff a cam into a crack and assume it’s good is a dangerous one. We used to call it “Nutcraft” when we studied the nuances of how passive pro interacts with rock and climber and I think “Camcraft” is just as important, even if it's not always obviously so.

One interesting thing we noted was how important "setting" the piece was. A simple tug on the gear before it's loaded made a difference in whether the gear held or popped. Even some compromised placements that were spit out when we didn't "set" the piece held fast when the gear was "set" prior to the load.

When we watch the replay on the high-speed video, it’s fascinating to watch the cam during the drop. In that split-second of action, there’s a lot of stuff going on with the cam as it works really hard to hold the crack … very interesting to watch.

We’ll try to post some of it on our website and link to it from here so you can see it.

As always, if you have any questions, I welcome you to contact me. Call me at 1.800.360.3990 or email at info@omegapac.com to my attention. I’ll get the message.

Climb safe …

--ML


Thank you for both the post and the time you put into investigating the functionality of your gear under even the most unique circumstances.

Your right when you say that the use of any gear, passive or active, is a nuanced art. I think its valuable for a manufacturer to go through exercises like this, so that the end user of your product can better understand how to properly use your equipment and to know its limitations.

Way to step up to the plate. Thank you.



Oh yeah, links to video and written reports would be great, please do make public what you can.


mtselman


Jun 11, 2008, 7:48 AM
Post #382 of 388 (8927 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 9, 2002
Posts: 134

Re: [michaellane] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

michaellane wrote:
Hey, All ...
....
One interesting thing we noted was how important "setting" the piece was. A simple tug on the gear before it's loaded made a difference in whether the gear held or popped. Even some compromised placements that were spit out when we didn't "set" the piece held fast when the gear was "set" prior to the load.
....
--ML
The quote above may be very relevant to this discussion: Gear Tuggers know nothing???


reg


Jun 11, 2008, 7:59 AM
Post #383 of 388 (8924 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 10, 2004
Posts: 1560

Re: [michaellane] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

can't wait to see and read all about your tests - thanks for doing it. goes to show that ya need to spend time learning from those that know. and not only proper placement in the feature but is the feature strong and well attached! lot to know and think about for us noobs.


Partner baja_java


Jun 11, 2008, 5:09 PM
Post #384 of 388 (8796 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 8, 2003
Posts: 680

Re: [michaellane] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thanks for posting that, Michael. look forward to seeing the summary, and more of the details. thanks again for the months-long effort, and for the openness throughout

Sean


notapplicable


Jun 11, 2008, 8:31 PM
Post #385 of 388 (8745 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [mtselman] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mtselman wrote:
michaellane wrote:
Hey, All ...
....
One interesting thing we noted was how important "setting" the piece was. A simple tug on the gear before it's loaded made a difference in whether the gear held or popped. Even some compromised placements that were spit out when we didn't "set" the piece held fast when the gear was "set" prior to the load.
....
--ML
The quote above may be very relevant to this discussion: Gear Tuggers know nothing???


I thought about reviving that thread just to rub their noses in it but had to go to work.

Gear tuggers know evvaaarrrrryyyyyy thingTongue


zeke_sf


Jun 11, 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #386 of 388 (8710 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 28, 2006
Posts: 18730

Re: [notapplicable] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
mtselman wrote:
michaellane wrote:
Hey, All ...
....
One interesting thing we noted was how important "setting" the piece was. A simple tug on the gear before it's loaded made a difference in whether the gear held or popped. Even some compromised placements that were spit out when we didn't "set" the piece held fast when the gear was "set" prior to the load.
....
--ML
The quote above may be very relevant to this discussion: Gear Tuggers know nothing???


I thought about reviving that thread just to rub their noses in it but had to go to work.

Gear tuggers know evvaaarrrrryyyyyy thingTongue

I regularly tug on my gear. Wait? Is this my account on solonut.com? Bah. Whatever. Post it....


knieveltech


Jun 11, 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #387 of 388 (8707 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 1, 2006
Posts: 1431

Re: [zeke_sf] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
mtselman wrote:
michaellane wrote:
Hey, All ...
....
One interesting thing we noted was how important "setting" the piece was. A simple tug on the gear before it's loaded made a difference in whether the gear held or popped. Even some compromised placements that were spit out when we didn't "set" the piece held fast when the gear was "set" prior to the load.
....
--ML
The quote above may be very relevant to this discussion: Gear Tuggers know nothing???


I thought about reviving that thread just to rub their noses in it but had to go to work.

Gear tuggers know evvaaarrrrryyyyyy thingTongue

I regularly tug on my gear. Wait? Is this my account on solonut.com? Bah. Whatever. Post it....


LaughLaugh


bill_in_tokyo


Apr 15, 2009, 2:23 AM
Post #388 of 388 (7350 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 12, 2003
Posts: 243

Re: [michaellane] Link Cam Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

With apologies for resuscitating a long-dead thread, I was wondering if the summary test data referred to in Michaellane's post above is around anyplace.

I'm interested in general; but in particular, I'm interested in the paragraph that said:

"One interesting thing we noted was how important "setting" the piece was. A simple tug on the gear before it's loaded made a difference in whether the gear held or popped. Even some compromised placements that were spit out when we didn't "set" the piece held fast when the gear was "set" prior to the load."

The topic of "setting" cams came up in a thread on another forum, and this is an attempt to follow-up on the questions raised there. If there's actual test information available on this point, I'd be quite interested, and I bet I'm not alone.

Thanks in advance for any response!


(This post was edited by bill_in_tokyo on Apr 15, 2009, 2:42 AM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook