RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

kunegochu

Jun 14, 2008, 3:37 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3268 views)
Shortcut

i want to get into bouldering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

but i want to try it out before i buy all the equipment. is it pointless to try with my normal shoes and no chalk

colatownkid

Jun 14, 2008, 4:21 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kunegochu] i want to get into bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the beauty of bouldering is that it requires so little equipment. all you need are shoes, chalk, and a pad. compared to roped climbing it's really cheap.

when you say "normal shoes" i assume you mean tennis shoes, etc. if that's the case you may have a problem since bouldering is intended to be inherently difficult and you'll need the shoes just to make your feet stay on the wall.

that being said, chalk and a bag is $15-ish, shoes can be as cheap as $50 if on sale, and crash pads are $200+ regularly. so you need about $300 and some boulders and you're good to go.

alternately, you could find a local climbing gym. you can rent shoes there and try some bouldering. see if you like it first, then decide whether to invest.

sungam

Jun 14, 2008, 5:02 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] i want to get into bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bull.
You don't need anything to boulder, except a fairly grippy set of trainers (or tennis shoes or whatever you call them, sneakers or sommit) and a buddy to spot you. find some rocks that aint too high and got good landings and off you go.

-MagnuS

colatownkid

Jun 14, 2008, 5:56 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] i want to get into bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
bull.
You don't need anything to boulder, except a fairly grippy set of trainers (or tennis shoes or whatever you call them, sneakers or sommit) and a buddy to spot you. find some rocks that aint too high and got good landings and off you go.

-MagnuS

i respectfully retract my previous response.

yes, all you need is a rock and a soft landing. if you're having fun, great. if you decide you want to invest in a pad, shoes, etc., know that it's really not too expensive to get in to.

sungam

Jun 14, 2008, 7:25 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

colatownkid wrote:
sungam wrote:
bull.

-MagnuS

i respectfully retract my previous response.

yes, all you need is a rock and a soft landing. if you're having fun, great. if you decide you want to invest in a pad, shoes, etc., know that it's really not too expensive to get in to.
Bingo. You'll want to buy shoes and chalk after a few shots (obviously you will like it ^.^ ) but a pad can wait a we while (you might meet someone else who you climb with often and they have a pad or whatever)

-MagnuS

iwasasportweenie

Jun 14, 2008, 9:56 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

colatownkid wrote:
the beauty of bouldering is that it requires so little equipment. all you need are shoes, chalk, and a pad. compared to roped climbing it's really cheap.

when you say "normal shoes" i assume you mean tennis shoes, etc. if that's the case you may have a problem since bouldering is intended to be inherently difficult and you'll need the shoes just to make your feet stay on the wall.

I know you've already revised your take on this, but I can't help adding...

Not all bouldering is necessarily real foot intensive. Back when I was in college a few years ago, my older friends liked to talk about how they'd watched Matt Wilder (of Middlebury, in college years) run laps on the Illustrious Buddha (V8 or V9) at the Gunks in sneakers.

That aside, get some rock shoes. Unless you can already do a one-finger, one-arm pullup, you're gonna want em.

spikeddem

Jun 15, 2008, 3:41 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iwasasportweenie] i want to get into bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While at first I thought I might agree with the statement that you don't technically need shoes, I have decided I don't. Reason being that you wanted to figure out whether you like it or not. You are more likely to hate it without proper footwear.

I suggest trying it in a gym.

bizarrodrinker

Jun 17, 2008, 2:12 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iwasasportweenie] i want to get into bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iwasasportweenie wrote:
colatownkid wrote:

I know you've already revised your take on this, but I can't help adding...

Not all bouldering is necessarily real foot intensive. Back when I was in college a few years ago, my older friends liked to talk about how they'd watched Matt Wilder (of Middlebury, in college years) run laps on the Illustrious Buddha (V8 or V9) at the Gunks in sneakers.

That aside, get some rock shoes. Unless you can already do a one-finger, one-arm pullup, you're gonna want em.

True, but if any variation of the buddha is v8/9 then boxcar arete is like v12 (which it isn't). But thats a different rant.

To the OP...get to a gym and try climbing in sneakers and climbing shoes (rental) then you can decide what you need and don't need.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook