Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering in Raleigh area
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dvalente

Jun 16, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering in Raleigh area  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be crashing at a friends in Raleigh for a couple weeks in early july. What, if any, bouldering is nearby? I don't know how he'll feel about my taking his car on any long trips, so the closer the better. If I have to, I'll resort to a gym. Any reccomendations if that's the case?

MikeSaint

Jun 16, 2008, 8:14 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dvalente] Bouldering in Raleigh area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dvalente wrote:
I'll be crashing at a friends in Raleigh for a couple weeks in early july. What, if any, bouldering is nearby? I don't know how he'll feel about my taking his car on any long trips, so the closer the better. If I have to, I'll resort to a gym. Any reccomendations if that's the case?

Outside:

Check the route database for some beta on Umstead. Many will tell you its off limits. This is mind boggling as I often see plenty mountain bikers either riding by, or checking out some of the boulders. I wont say its closed, I wont say its open- but it is there, and there are plenty of folks stop in, bike by, camp by, drink by. In either case, be mindful of nearby property owners and LNT practices.

Inside:

There are only two gyms worth checking out for bouldering. The (new) Triangle Rock Club in Morrisville hosts a 14 foot , freestanding boulder with varying terrain. Check out http://www.trianglerockclub.com for pictures of the gym. If you're into leading there is a pretty pumpy lead cave as well. Good scene going on over there. With low traffic the drive is short, 15 minutes?

The Raleigh Rock Yard hosts some hard boulder problems on their walls, good crew over there too.

Hope that helps!

(This post was edited by MikeSaint on Jun 16, 2008, 8:25 PM)

ahrenswett

Jun 19, 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dvalente] Bouldering in Raleigh area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dvalente wrote:
hey i have a pass to asheboro if you wanna link up there. its about an hour preatty easy to find have to be a member of carolina climbers coalition. you could apply and have them get you all the info its $25 to support local climbing areas feel free to pm me

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$26.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook