Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Summer 2008
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cavemanNdisguise

Jun 17, 2008, 1:33 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3638 views)
Shortcut

Summer 2008  (North_America: United_States: South_Dakota)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm headed to South Dakota in August to do some sport climbing. I've never climbed in the black hills and was hoping to get some beta from someone who has. I'd like to know what area offers the best collection of sport routes as well as primitive camping locations. If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

basecamp

Jul 9, 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #2 of 7 (3562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cavemanNdisguise] Summer 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What can you climb? Are you looking for single or multi-pitch?

IF you can climb 5.10+ Spearfish Canyon is awesome, mostly if not all single pitch climbs on great limestone

If your looking for more moderate climbing on some great granite both Sylvan Lake and the Rushmore area is great.

You can get guide books for all of these places in Hill City, there is a gear store there with all the guide books. As for camping... when are you going to be there? Because if your there the first part of August, good luck finding a camp site as it is the time of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, and all of the campsites are spoken for that time frame.

Good luck!

cavemanNdisguise

Jul 9, 2008, 11:55 AM
Post #3 of 7 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basecamp] Summer 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb in the 5.10 range. I would prefer single pitch only because i've done very little mutli pitch and wouldn't feel comfortable doing it in a new area.

Can you tell me the name of the gear store in Hill City or where it is located? I understand that the first part of August is the Bike Rally, but surely I'll be able to score a primitive campsite somewhere... any suggestions on where to look? Are there no "climbers only" locations?

r0cker

Jul 18, 2008, 5:54 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He is not kidding. It will be very hard to find a camp site. You can camp in the black hills for up until 14 days in non-campsite locations, but you can not start a fire. The store he is referring to is called Granite Sports and you'll just have to google their address, but it is right in on the main highway. I do not know of any climbers only locations either.

If you have any other questions you can PM me. I live in Rapid City, SD which is an hour from all the climbing.

r0cker

Aug 13, 2008, 6:26 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How was the trip?

cavemanNdisguise

Aug 16, 2008, 9:00 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [r0cker] Summer 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The trip went well. I had no trouble finding a campsite. I camped at Wrinkled Rock about a mile past Rushmore. All of my climbing was done in Wrinkled Rock and the South Seas. Overall, I thought the ratings were rather stiff and the climbing was a little runout. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Red River Gorge here in Kentucky. However, I would make a return trip. The place was beautiful and the climbs were numerous.

r0cker

Aug 17, 2008, 4:14 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha! That sounds typical. The needles are known for being sandbagged and lots of classic run outs.

Glad you had a good time, man!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook