RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

JoshCaple

Jun 19, 2008, 1:42 PM
Post #1 of 10 (6240 views)
Shortcut

Your Dream Camer Bag?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, I've got a bunch of ideas but I'm a big believer in collaboration.
If you could design your own camera bag for on-rope photos what features would you include?

I'm also thinking modular systems (to go with a pack, that may or may not have another full sized camera block in it)

atlnq9

Jun 20, 2008, 2:13 AM
Post #2 of 10 (6203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JoshCaple] Your Dream Camer Bag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got what I like! it is just a small compact case, enough to hold my medium format rangefinder, 4 rolls of film and three filters. It is kind of a sling; I can wear it over my shoulder and straps across my body, push it behind you if you need to get close to the wall wear it to the side or swing it in front, has a belt to strap it tightly so it doesn't bounce; or take the shoulder strap off and clip it to the front shoulder straps of your expedition pack, you can still wear it with the shoulder strap and your pack if you want to, or use the tie in loop to hang it from my chest harness/rack... The camera is attached to the bag via the neck strap mounts on the camera so no worry of dropping or neck strap, film gets secured individually in the bag so low chance of dropping if you are careful... Love it, took a while to design though.

aerili

Jun 20, 2008, 5:20 AM
Post #3 of 10 (6177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I only carry a small Canon SD800, but it's hard to find a case that is right even for that. I have one that is semi-rigid with two opposing loops at the top from which to clip your carrying strap (features I desire)... but has no padding. However, all the padded cases I find have no rigid exteriors and only wrist straps or alternative attachment points that either flipped them upside down during carry mode, or there was only a single tiny attachment point for a short loop of strap.

I looked online at those crush-proof Pelican cases and really wanted to get one of those, buuuut...

1) They have no padding and the camera would bounce around inside
2) The closing mechanism looks like a flip lock or something--a method I thought would be too easily unlocked if it got scraped on a wall, caught on clothing, or what not.

Bummer. I want a crush proof, reasonably padded case that can be slung over the shoulder or the strap shortened to clip to a harness.

esqueleto

Jun 20, 2008, 5:43 AM
Post #4 of 10 (6169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Your Dream Camer Bag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i use to carry a ton of gear in pelican cases. not for climbing, but for everything else. they are amazing and if you are worried about camera bouncing around then pad it with the egg shell type foam stuff. not the orange crap that disintegrates, but the good black stuff used in high end cases. you can buy individual sheets of foam for cheap. as for the clipping, get a bungy chord or something. i've NEVER had a pelican case come open on me in transport through airport, car, train, walking, hiking. but climbing is another story, i'd try a test with em since they have pretty good warranties and returns.

as for my favorite type of bags, they always have to be accessible. i've picked unpadded satchels over padded backpacks because of the accessibility. you cant get the shot if your fumbling around trying to get your camera out of the bag. my favorite bag right now is a shoulder pack i found my college house, looks like a large shaving kit. has large spot for a DSLR w/ lens and will hold flash, 17-35mm. also has side pockets for extra batteries, CF cards and what nots. added some padding to the sides that I have left over from another pack and i am good to go for street photography and music events. plus all the duct tape and frayed ends makes it unnoticeable as a camera bag.

JoshCaple

Jun 20, 2008, 5:47 AM
Post #5 of 10 (6166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Your Dream Camer Bag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never considered Pelican cases appropriate for on the wall- they are great for travel, since you can get padded camera dividers or pluck-foam to customise it for your gear. They also work great with 'camera blocks' from backpacks. For something 'crushproof', Kata are the best I've found (I use one of their bags for my location lighting gear, they also make bulletproof body armour for photographers so they know how to protect things!)

Thanks for the replies so far.
If you reply please also state what gear you want to be carrying on a wall with you.

Cheers,
-jc.

kriso9tails

Jun 20, 2008, 6:11 AM
Post #6 of 10 (6161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd prefer a pack had cells facing outwards (opening in an arc along the side and top of the bag). It'd be nice that everything could simply slide in snugly and be tethered directly to the bag, room for a body with lens, possibly a second body (also with lens) and a couple of additional lenses. Instead of closing the bag there would just be a cover that would fit over everything that would zip off and be left at the base of the climb (or wherever) when in use.

I feel like I should just be able to just reach over my shoulder or under my arm to slide out what I need without worrying too much if it drops. I'm not one to change lenses so frequently, but there are circumstances where I'd really love options and a certain amount of speed, convenience and security while trying to swap out lenses would be cool... especially if on ascenders.

Perhaps that sounds a bit odd, and I'm really not describing it well at all but truth be told, I've found that most camera bags on the market can get your gear from point A to point B safe and sound, but have minimal advantages in an actual shooting situation, so really aren't of that much interest to me. I don't want to touch a bloody zipper or buckle once I get started.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Jun 20, 2008, 6:14 AM)

blitz933

Sep 15, 2008, 5:39 PM
Post #7 of 10 (4926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Your Dream Camer Bag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://courierbags.com/objects/20.itml/icOid/20

No zippers, but there is some velcro and buckles (you have have them customized cheaply/for free depending on the options you want).

I've been contemplating getting one of these for a while now, I'm just not sure it would be that much of an improvement over a regular shoulder bag.

I don't tend to take a *lot* of pix when climbing, so usually just my camera and one zoom is enough for the actual climb. But I have some bigger stuff planned, and having a bag capable of holding on to my camera gear for a couple of days on a big wall or long hike would be pretty handy. I just need to keep the bag small, or I'll be tempted to bring along the kitchen sink =P (I have the same problems with packs).

Paul_Y

Sep 19, 2008, 3:05 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atlnq9] Your Dream Camer Bag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atlnq9 wrote:
Love it, took a while to design though.
atling9 would you mind posting a picture(s) of your rig in action? Sounds like a great design.

Paul

atlnq9

Sep 20, 2008, 6:07 PM
Post #9 of 10 (4753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul_Y] Your Dream Camer Bag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As soon as I can borrow a digital camera.

wes_allen

Sep 29, 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atlnq9] Your Dream Camer Bag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Think Tank Glass Taxi. Big enough to carry all I need for a day of climbing, but small enough that I can wear it in front of me, and haul it easy...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook