Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
NorCal: Auburn Quarry Update (More Info Coming)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

roughster

Jun 20, 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #1 of 5 (8015 views)
Shortcut

NorCal: Auburn Quarry Update (More Info Coming)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Auburn Quarry Update (More Info Coming as well)

Since the recent Teichert activity at Auburn, we have had some additional dialog with the SRA. Here is the quick summary of what's going on:

- The SRA Gen Plan has been delayed slightly (they are also working on the Folsom SRA plan simultaneously) but the SRA has committed to releasing an updated timeline and posting it on their website shortly. The actions last weekend does not jeopardize the work we have put into getting climbing recognized as an official user group.

- The action in the upper quarry is not from the SRA dealings but rather from a previous lease between Teichert and the BoRec. I plan on calling our contact tomorrow at the Rec office to find out the extent of their activities and what hopefully the eventual impact will be.

So more info coming. I plan on going out there this Sunday to take updated pictures and will present any new information here and at the Access Meeting next Friday.

roughster

Jun 20, 2008, 4:52 PM
Post #2 of 5 (7987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roughster] NorCal: Auburn Quarry Update (More Info Coming) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

More Info:

I contacted the BoRec this morning. They confirmed that that the previous Easement Agreement between the BoR and Teichert was being acted upon, however they BoR rep was surprised to hear of impact beyond the previous boundary of the upper active quarry and the lower quarry aka where climbers are.

She agreed to set up a Site Walk with the SRA, BoR, Teichert, and Climbers to ensure we understand where the boundaries are and what the scope and impact of this activity will be. This may or may not be before the next access meeting next Friday, but I will bring any updated info I have.

She is going to send me the Easement Agreement, which I will fwd on to the Access Fund, so hopefully we will get a good understanding of where Teichert and the BoR "see" the Quarry going.

roughster

Jun 21, 2008, 3:19 PM
Post #3 of 5 (7960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The scope of the new work is more clearly defined and understood now that we have our hands on the Environmental Assessment. The below image comes directly from the EA:

It is pretty clear that the new quarry activity will eliminate the Well entirely as well as most likely impact access to Kilimanjaro during the operation.

The good news is that the Wreckage Wall and the continuation to the South that is undeveloped is clearly outside of the scope. In addition, all areas below Wreckage, Memorial, Scale, and Horseshoe are very far from the new area and should not be impacted in any way.

I hope to use this new info with discussions with the SRA to clarify the boundary of Teichert versus climbing since this has been one of their primary concerns from the start of dialog.

While it is disappointing to know that the Well is most likely a lost cause, it is a small sigh of relief to know what the extent of the new activities are that they are not planned to extend beyond the Well and we are not seeing the imminent destruction of the entire quarry.

More info as it becomes available.

scuclimber

Jun 23, 2008, 5:32 AM
Post #4 of 5 (7836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went out to the quarry today with Roughster and a legendary local. Even though I'm from the area, I'd never been back in the quarry. Holy crap. SO MUCH POTENTIAL it's ridiculous. Interested parties should attend the Access Fund meeting on Friday evening at Pipeworks.

scuclimber

Jul 1, 2008, 8:14 AM
Post #5 of 5 (7108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] NorCal: Auburn Quarry Update (More Info Coming) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FIRE... started this afternoon sometime directly across the canyon from the quarry. Likely burning up some good mountain bike trails. I doubt it'll jump b/c of the wind direction currently, but I'll update when it's done with.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook