RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Banta

Jun 21, 2008, 5:45 PM
Post #1 of 22 (1805 views)
Shortcut

Stuck in the Gym.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im Looking for advice on how to stay motivated when all I have is a Gym. I happen to work at the Gym and the nearest Outdoor climbing is about a 1.5 hours drive so my indoor climbing time far outweighs my outdoor and I find myself getting too bored to continue training indoors.

So what advice can i get from you guys on hows to keep training fun. thanks.

kmc

Jun 21, 2008, 6:10 PM
Post #2 of 22 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Banta] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1.5 hours isn't that far. I make a minimum of a 2hr drive to the closest crag just about every week (Gunks). If I want to go anywhere else, its even further. Of course, when I climb, Im usually there for 2 or 3 days, which makes it a bit easier. I do know a lot of other people who drive even further than that, sometimes just for day trips.

My advice would be to save up some coin and spend it on the gas.

Valarc

Jun 21, 2008, 6:15 PM
Post #3 of 22 (1792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed that 1.5 hours is not a big deal. My regular trips are usually in the 2.5-3 hr range. It's nothing to make a 3 hour drive to HP40, boulder 'till my tips bleed, and be home in time to feed the dogs before bed. There is climbing closer to here, but I basically never bother - the more distant destinations interest me more.

That said, I do climb in the gym quite a lot and have found lots of things to keep me motivated. One was to practice the movement exercises from The Self Coached Climber instead of doing the same taped routes week-in and week-out. Another was to learn to be a competent routesetter, so I can entertain myself both by putting up problems for others to climb, and stuff for me to climb too. It's a lot harder to be frustrated by the lack of new problems when I know I can grab a wrench and a bucket of holds and have a new problem the next time I come to the gym.

Banta

Jun 21, 2008, 7:19 PM
Post #4 of 22 (1763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me clarify why 1.5 hours IS indeed a long drive to everyone who says its not. First off, I live in Michigan and when I reach my destination after driving for 1.5 hours I see 30 ft (at highest) sandstone cliffs that you arent alloud to trad climb. so its top roping only with the difficulty not exceeding 5.12 so I have nothing to REALLY challenge myself on. and very few boulders.

sugdenj82

Jun 21, 2008, 7:29 PM
Post #5 of 22 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Time to move. Lots of places out there where you'll never have to set foot inside a gym or ever touch another piece of plastic.
And who says you're not allowed to trad climb on sandstone cliffs? That's up to you. Don't let others choose your style and ethics.

Banta

Jun 21, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #6 of 22 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sugdenj82] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sugdenj82 wrote:

And who says you're not allowed to trad climb on sandstone cliffs? That's up to you. Don't let others choose your style and ethics.

Well, it's posted on the "park rules". And I dont want to damage the rock I grew up climbing on. But I'll agree with you that it is indeed time to move.. im thinking colorado, mountain biking, skiing, and climbing... i dont think i could find time to work tho...

zeke_sf

Jun 21, 2008, 8:02 PM
Post #7 of 22 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1.5 hours for crappy climbing kinda sucks, but what is in the 2-3 hour range? What's in the 4 hour range? Like a previous poster mentioned, lots of people make the 2-4 hour treks (even longer) on a regular basis to get to quality rock. I've known people who made 8 hour treks to get to quality cragging every weekend they could go. It's part of the game. Yes, yes, gas is only getting more expensive, but that's why you carpool and try to camp out near the crag to maximize your drive time and money.

If you start getting outdoor projects, then your time in the gym will seem more focused and you'll probably have more fun.

Banta

Jun 21, 2008, 8:17 PM
Post #8 of 22 (1737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
1.5 hours for crappy climbing kinda sucks, but what is in the 2-3 hour range? What's in the 4 hour range? Like a previous poster mentioned, lots of people make the 2-4 hour treks (even longer) on a regular basis to get to quality rock. I've known people who made 8 hour treks to get to quality cragging every weekend they could go. It's part of the game. Yes, yes, gas is only getting more expensive, but that's why you carpool and try to camp out near the crag to maximize your drive time and money.

If you start getting outdoor projects, then your time in the gym will seem more focused and you'll probably have more fun.

thank you, that is sound advice.

Thanks to everyone else as well.

rkepley_1

Jun 21, 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #9 of 22 (1691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Banta wrote:

im thinking colorado,

Oh, didn't you hear that CO is closed now. Right Angry?

(This post was edited by rkepley_1 on Jun 21, 2008, 10:49 PM)

Myxomatosis

Jun 22, 2008, 9:18 PM
Post #10 of 22 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rkepley_1] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Make some goals.

Partner angry

Jun 22, 2008, 9:32 PM
Post #11 of 22 (1598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rkepley_1 wrote:
Banta wrote:

im thinking colorado,

Oh, didn't you hear that CO is closed now. Right Angry?

I swear to god, if I get associated with Colorado, I'll tear off my dick and choke myself to death with my detatched bloody member.

I just live here, I'm no rad guy.

Anyone want to go get a soy latte? I know a great place next to the yoga studio.

rkepley_1

Jun 22, 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #12 of 22 (1567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

Anyone want to go get a soy latte? I know a great place next to the yoga studio.

I'm there if you're buying!

(This post was edited by rkepley_1 on Jun 22, 2008, 10:26 PM)

Partner angry

Jun 22, 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #13 of 22 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought you had a photo shoot today?

bizarrodrinker

Jun 23, 2008, 4:40 PM
Post #14 of 22 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Banta wrote:
Let me clarify why 1.5 hours IS indeed a long drive to everyone who says its not. First off, I live in Michigan and when I reach my destination after driving for 1.5 hours I see 30 ft (at highest) sandstone cliffs that you arent alloud to trad climb. so its top roping only with the difficulty not exceeding 5.12 so I have nothing to REALLY challenge myself on. and very few boulders.

if there is nothing exceeding 30 feet (i.e probalby in the 20-25 ft range for the most part) what do you need a rope for anyway. They sound like highball boulder problems to me. get a pad and have at it.

mountainwonk

Jun 23, 2008, 6:43 PM
Post #15 of 22 (1383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sugdenj82] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, wherever you move to, DO NOT come to northern Utah. Sucks here and you would not like it. Yes, there are a couple hundred limestone sport routes less than 20 minutes from my couch, backcountry skiing pretty much everywhere, and even a small resort 30 minutes up canyon if you like riding lifts for only $250 a season. But all of this is no good because getting work done is really, really difficult with all the distraction. And, the "local dominant culture/religion" really sucks because on Sundays 70% of everyone is sitting in church, leaving all these empty crags and mountains everywhere. So, yes, please move to Colorado where the latte is at least good!

knieveltech

Jun 23, 2008, 6:53 PM
Post #16 of 22 (1368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Banta wrote:

Swab the sand out and keep pulling, princess.

getout87

Jun 23, 2008, 6:57 PM
Post #17 of 22 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
Banta wrote:

Swab the sand out and keep pulling, princess.

Thank you.

Does it hurt?

knieveltech

Jun 23, 2008, 7:42 PM
Post #18 of 22 (1329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, it hurts a bit the first couple times until you start to develop calluses.

shimanilami

Jun 23, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #19 of 22 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that having an outdoor project you can envision and train for is a great way to make your gym climbing more "meaningful" (?).

I'd also suggest that you don't look at gym climbing as "climbing", but rather as a training tool. Once you've abandoned the perceived need to climb at your limit in the gym, you'll start using it dihe gym differently. Get some books. Do some fun drills. Perhaps get a training partner who can motivate you.

Valarc

Jun 23, 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #20 of 22 (1280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
I'd also suggest that you don't look at gym climbing as "climbing", but rather as a training tool.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I look at gym climbing as something fun to do instead of sitting around watching TV. If I approached it like training, I'd hate it as much as I hate getting on the treadmill or lifting weights.

getout87

Jun 23, 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #21 of 22 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
shimanilami wrote:
I'd also suggest that you don't look at gym climbing as "climbing", but rather as a training tool.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I look at gym climbing as something fun to do instead of sitting around watching TV. If I approached it like training, I'd hate it as much as I hate getting on the treadmill or lifting weights.

I completely agree.

lrossi

Jun 23, 2008, 11:52 PM
Post #22 of 22 (1250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] Stuck in the Gym. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb with cute girls; you will stay motivated.

Seriously, a good part of climbing motivation is about your partners. Find more people who are fun to hang out with. If there isn't a big climbing community there it might be hard of course.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook