Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

ddt

Jun 26, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #1 of 91 (18089 views)
Shortcut

Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

I've got important news to share today. Rockclimbing.com has a new owner: an internet company called NameMedia which, among other things, specializes in running online communities and "enthusiast sites". This marks an exciting new phase for the site because for this first time there is a real strong arm to support the site and propel it to the next level. NameMedia is a remarkable company and has an impressive list of success stories with community sites. Above all they have a real appreciation for the uniqueness and variety of characters that make up our community of climbers. Not to mention that they have "real" technical support staff (with pagers!) and designers and content people and all sorts of other goodies that Willem (sangiro) and I only pretended to have. Wink

So what will change? Well, not too much in the next few months. I will continue to run the site, working with the existing team of moderators and editors as before. As far as management and day-to-day operations are concerned there are really no immediate changes. Within a year however Willem and I anticipate becoming regular users of the site, as NameMedia will appoint a full-time replacement to take over the day-to-day operations.

After a while you may notice some improvements as we start to leverage NameMedia's resources. This could include fresher content with more frequent updates (e.g. articles, news), better site performance, faster responses and better resolutions to issues and bugs, some enhancements being implemented, and ads that are more targeted to our community.

Ultimately, the strategic direction of rc.com is in NameMedia's hands and you should expect to see gradual phased changes. NameMedia understands perfectly well that community sites are first and foremost about the communities. They will involve you in the change process and invite your feedback and advice. They've had more practice and this than Willem and I.

OK, so why this change... why did we sell the site? For two reasons:

(1) Because our personal priorities have changed. We both have families and children (on the way for me) and a need for more consistency and security than what is offered by running a web-site as a semi-professional-skunkworks-two-man-show with very little capital. BTW, this change also applies to our other two sites: Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com.

(2) Because we got a good offer from a buyer whom we consider a really good fit. While we've never put Rockclimbing.com up for sale, over the years we've had dozens of offers. This one stuck out.

OK, now you have the just of it. Below are some Q&A's for those interested in more detail, and to address some of the questions and concerns you may have.

What about the Moderators and Editors?

The Moderators and Editors are still in their same roles and will continue doing what they are doing now for as long as they choose. NameMedia maintains the philosophy that the forum leadership and moderators should always come from the community. Nothing will change here.

What kinds of changes is NameMedia going to make to Rockclimbing.com?

Over the short term you’re not going to see any dramatic changes. NameMedia are not migrating the site onto their own platform or changing the design and technology overnight. They will continue to host these sites with Gossamer Threads – our hosting partner for many years – and will rely on Gossamer's expertise and skills to keep moving it forward.

This is not to say there won’t be changes in the future, there will be. NameMedia, like any business will make strategic decisions about where to position the site and how to evolve it, and aim to continually improve and grow their membership and in the process earn your trust and loyalty. They assure us that any change will be evolutionary and not revolutionary. They have no intention of suddenly repainting the house and shifting all the furniture around.

They’re gonna want to make more money from Rockclimbing.com, right?

Of course. But this does not have to be a bad thing. One of the big reasons we felt NameMedia was a great fit for Rockclimbing.com is that they believe in monetizing in the right way. Preserving the integrity of the user experience might take more thought, creativity and effort but it’s always a better idea than making a quick buck and driving away members.

NameMedia has strong existing relationships with many adventure and outdoor related brands. They also have relationships and access to ad agencies and networks that specialize in serving ads targeted to specific demographics and verticals. NameMedia is in a much stronger position than we ever were to negotiate quality and relevant advertising that will enhance the site and user experience rather that diminish it.

Are they going to flood us with pop-ups?

No they’re not. You know how we feel about pop-up ads. Feel free to visit any of their other enthusiast sites and you’ll see there are no pop-ups on any of them.

Are they going to sell my email address and read my PMs ?

No they’re not. NameMedia will have a clear published Privacy Statement just like we have now. They know very well how people feel about privacy and spam and have no desire to diminish the value of their investment by alienating the community that sustains this site. Please give them the benefit of the doubt.

Are they going to make Rockclimbing.com a pay-only site?

NameMedia believes, as we do, that a website needs to be setup in such a way that people can access the information freely without having to pay or else it's not going to succeed.

What else can you tell us about NameMedia? What else do they do?

NameMedia is located in Waltham, MA (USA) and has two divisions: One part of what they do is buy and sell domain names and they've been doing this since 1999. Separate from the domain side of the business is the "enthusiast site" division which was started in 2007. This is what Rockclimbing.com will become part of.

Here are some other communities that the own and manage: http://www.namemedia.com/adventure/

I've read all of the Q&A's and I'm still worried. Is that OK?

Of course this is OK. We were wary and we understand that you may be wary. We've met with NameMedia's leadership team in person and can tell you that after many conversations with NameMedia, and with people just like us who had their community site acquired by NameMedia, we trust that they have Rockclimbing.com’s best interests in mind. They have a great philosophy about how things should be done. They are not perfect and may make some mistakes during the transition process or along the way. I ask that you give them the benefit of the doubt and send them your feedback. They want to hear it.

Finally – please keep in mind that for the next year at least, I will still be running Rockclimbing.com as before. See me as the gatekeeper. I’ll keep you posted on everything that may be coming your way.

DDT

PS: We’ve opened this forum for replies, so feel free to post your comments, questions, feedback or concerns here.

coastal_climber

Jun 26, 2008, 7:28 PM
Post #2 of 91 (18075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does that mean you get more climbing time?

>Cam

ddt

Jun 26, 2008, 7:32 PM
Post #3 of 91 (18057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
Does that mean you get more climbing time?

Indeed! I think you saw what I did here. Smile

justroberto

Jun 26, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #4 of 91 (18042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no, he's got a kid on the way, so clearly he'll have even less time to climb.

and sleep.

dingus

Jun 26, 2008, 7:42 PM
Post #5 of 91 (18026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As per course new owner discussions don't address 'user owned content.'

Always swept under the rug it is.

Do you supose the new owners will add a 'delete all' button?

As always I ask to be terminated so long as all my posts go with me.

Cheers ddt
DMT

imnotclever

Jun 26, 2008, 7:54 PM
Post #6 of 91 (18006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NameMedia PM'D MadMad

Arrogant_Bastard

Jun 26, 2008, 8:09 PM
Post #7 of 91 (17972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe you didn't run this by the B_ET first.

Please instruct the new owners brush, floss, and gargle, and have a seat over in the corner. They will be allowed to commence eating ass momentarily.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jun 26, 2008, 8:10 PM
Post #8 of 91 (17969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I had been made Supreme RuleModerator like I requested this wouldn't have happened.

wjca

Jun 26, 2008, 8:18 PM
Post #9 of 91 (17951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:

NameMedia is located in Waltham, MA (USA) and has two divisions...Separate from the domain side of the business is the "enthusiast site" division which was started in 2007. This is what Rockclimbing.com will become part of.

Here are some other communities that the own and manage: http://www.namemedia.com/adventure/

So I checked out their other communities. Here are some that we will be in the company of:

In reply to:
Craftster.org is an online community for people who have crafty urges, but who are not excited by cross-stitched bunnies and crocheted toilet paper cozies. This is a place where they can show off their current craft projects, ask advice on future projects and get inspiration for new endeavors.

In reply to:
Cats.com offers a safe, friendly online home for cat owners who are passionate about their role as cat parents. Cats.com offers users a place to ask questions to other owners and cat experts, to discover new insights into their cat's life and health, and to connect with other cat owners with similar curiosities. Cats.com has a wealth of information about cat health, cat ownership, cat care and more, and provides expert opinions on these topics.

In reply to:
Tarot.com is your ultimate source for insight. We offer everything from Tarot, Astrology, Numerology and I-Ching to Feng Shui and live Psychic advisors. Experience wisdom and personal insight through free Tarot readings, daily horoscopes, Astrology reports and more.

In reply to:
DavesGarden.com offers articles jam-packed with helpful information to help you get started gardening with confidence. You can discuss all your gardening questions and photos with other gardeners, and find any local nursery, garden center or farmers' market. You can shop for gardening books and magazines for your region, plus member reviews of every mail order plant nursery and seed catalog are just a click away.

NameMedia = party animals for sure.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jun 26, 2008, 8:20 PM
Post #10 of 91 (17946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:
ddt wrote:

NameMedia is located in Waltham, MA (USA) and has two divisions...Separate from the domain side of the business is the "enthusiast site" division which was started in 2007. This is what Rockclimbing.com will become part of.

So I checked out their other communities. Here are some that we will be in the company of:

In reply to:
Craftster.org is an online community for people who have crafty urges, but who are not excited by cross-stitched bunnies and crocheted toilet paper cozies. This is a place where they can show off their current craft projects, ask advice on future projects and get inspiration for new endeavors.

In reply to:
Cats.com offers a safe, friendly online home for cat owners who are passionate about their role as cat parents. Cats.com offers users a place to ask questions to other owners and cat experts, to discover new insights into their cat's life and health, and to connect with other cat owners with similar curiosities. Cats.com has a wealth of information about cat health, cat ownership, cat care and more, and provides expert opinions on these topics.

In reply to:
Tarot.com is your ultimate source for insight. We offer everything from Tarot, Astrology, Numerology and I-Ching to Feng Shui and live Psychic advisors. Experience wisdom and personal insight through free Tarot readings, daily horoscopes, Astrology reports and more.

In reply to:
DavesGarden.com offers articles jam-packed with helpful information to help you get started gardening with confidence. You can discuss all your gardening questions and photos with other gardeners, and find any local nursery, garden center or farmers' market. You can shop for gardening books and magazines for your region, plus member reviews of every mail order plant nursery and seed catalog are just a click away.

Heh, looks like a week of fun to me. Better go signup for some accounts.

wjca

Jun 26, 2008, 8:24 PM
Post #11 of 91 (17933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard that they are in a bidding war to get that sweet ass My Little Pony web site.

Serious question, though. Are the new owners going to allow us to post pictures of boobs tits directly into the post?

imnotclever

Jun 26, 2008, 8:26 PM
Post #12 of 91 (17927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
wjca wrote:
ddt wrote:

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Heh, looks like a week of fun to me. Better go signup for some accounts.

Are meatbomz a craft? Kind of like scrapbooking?

Do the cat people like phrases slapped on to cat pictures? Y U no shair?

Dave's garden should have great tips on farming for lowis turtle?

well shall see, we shall see.

tradrenn

Jun 26, 2008, 8:47 PM
Post #13 of 91 (17891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Again ?

sungam

Jun 26, 2008, 9:00 PM
Post #14 of 91 (17873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
If I had been made Supreme RuleModerator like I requested this wouldn't have happened.
As stated previously, we need to stop agreeing.
I also would have stopped this if I was presidentz modanator.
Only I would have done it better.

-MagnuS

the_climber

Jun 27, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #15 of 91 (17779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
Again ?

Yeah, that was my first thought. That "Didn't we just go through this...." thought process. Great now there will be another mass exidus, deletion of photos, censored content, and it will take anotehr year to get the users back online regularly.

Maybe PoserMedia will let Pete back in and the Aid forum will come to life once again.

Fuck whatever, I'm going home for a beer.

I judge how it works out if and when that happens as per usual.

jakedatc

Jun 27, 2008, 1:31 AM
Post #16 of 91 (17718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OOO i can't wait for the new craptastic logo and color scheme that makes our eyes burn instantly :)

can we have purple on orange this time?

maybe they will allow kill files so Jay can relax on his Tweek's

majid_sabet

Jun 27, 2008, 5:22 AM
Post #17 of 91 (17626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The new owners are going to clean up this place banning all the trouble makers. I can see myself becoming homeless with no place to go .

andrewbanandrew

Jun 27, 2008, 6:38 AM
Post #18 of 91 (17608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, back to CC.com

sungam

Jun 27, 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #19 of 91 (17578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
OOO i can't wait for the new craptastic logo and color scheme that makes our eyes burn instantly :)

can we have purple on orange this time?

maybe they will allow kill files so Jay can relax on his Tweek's
This reminds me, what's with teh ghey "rockclimbing.com" symbol thing? So lame. Old site was waayyyy better looking.

jakedatc

Jun 27, 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #20 of 91 (17562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Rockclimbing.com enters exciting new phase [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i was more thinkin of the monkey and yellow scheme DDT thought would be a good idea when they first came on

clausti

Jun 27, 2008, 1:18 PM
Post #21 of 91 (17555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
i was more thinkin of the monkey and yellow scheme DDT thought would be a good idea when they first came on

hehe. yeah, that monkey was some ugly shit.

wonder if we'll go back to php boards instead of whatever loophole-ridden thing the current platform is.

will the new tech guys put a stop to francizing in the code? code in sig-character limits? let us have picseses, in our sigeses, precious? oh or, i forgot code-in thread-title character limits.

ddt

Jun 27, 2008, 2:44 PM
Post #22 of 91 (17533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:

Hey you can't credit me with the monkey logo... that was before my time. To this day I've never actually seen it. Didn't someone take a screen shot?

sungam

Jun 27, 2008, 2:52 PM
Post #23 of 91 (17526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
Didn't someone take a screen shot?
Now this I have to see.

-MagnuS

thomasribiere

Jun 27, 2008, 3:21 PM
Post #24 of 91 (17514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I should say good luck to you and the all the mod staff. This is a change I won't go through in a active way. Hope there's less drama than the last time.
I just hope that the future Editors are climbers.

Partner epoch

Jun 27, 2008, 3:26 PM
Post #25 of 91 (17513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

Hey you can't credit me with the monkey logo... that was before my time. To this day I've never actually seen it. Didn't someone take a screen shot?

http://web.archive.org/web/20040831084620/http://www.rockclimbing.com/

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook