RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

livvy

Mar 31, 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #1 of 13 (4664 views)
Shortcut

Have gear, will travel - Summer/Fall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm in the good/bad situation of having about 4 months to climb from about Aug 1 to about Dec 10. This would be an unadulterated positive experience except that the reason I'm footloose and fancy free is my husband will be away for that time for work. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to it. I've never had the opportunity to focus this much time consistently on my climbing. I'm ramping up my "while I'm working" training to get prepped.

I am working out some trips with current climbing partners in CO and I am hoping to meet some people in May/June in BC (British Columbia) where I will be moving. But as you can imagine, my current climbing partners and even "ones I may meet soon" are unlikely to be able to take 4 months off to climb so I'm looking for additional trips.

Have a trip planned and wouldn't mind a tag along?

I wasn't sure whether to try this - I mean this is a somewhat strange post because it might be weird to invite an unknown woman into your own climbing life...but hey, that seems to be what rc.com is all about ;)

Why post in the ladies room? I thought it might be somewhat safer to travel to meet a group of people that included some women than to meet a group of men-only. Although most men are dolls, I don't want to be in the woods with a group who aren't. With that said, I am not looking just for women-only groups (although that would be fun!).

About me, I'm a mid-10 sport leader hoping to push into 11s although I am happy to climb any grade (I'm using "Shelf Road, CO approx grades" which are more "modern sport" type ratings), I lead baby trad and can follow (and check pieces on) harder trad. I've climbed a fair amount of multipitch and have climbed in Colorado, BC, EPC, Red Rocks, Spain, Thailand, etc. I can provide partner references. I'm 34, overeducated and have been told that I'm fun to shoot the shit with over a campfire. I have enough $ to pay my own way and take my share of any expenses. I'm very happily married to a man who proposed to me at the top of Estrellita in EPC :D

I have a Honda Element and so am quite self-sufficient in terms of transportation and sleeping (it folds into a bed inside) and have all climbing gear (sport gear, ropes and a reasonable rack).

(This post was edited by livvy on Mar 31, 2008, 11:13 PM)

carabiner96

Mar 31, 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #2 of 13 (4659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [livvy] Have gear, will travel - Summer/Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How does squamish sound??I'll be in squamish with a girlfriend in august.

(This post was edited by carabiner96 on Mar 31, 2008, 11:04 PM)

kimmyt

Mar 31, 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Livvy, it's Kurt's gf Kim.. not sure if you remember me.

Anyway, if you make it to the east coast, give us a shout and we can make a week or long weekend trip up to either the Gunks or we can head down to the New or Seneca or something, whatever floats your boat. We don't have anything planned, but are open to possibilities if you make it out this far.

Oh, and I can vouch that she's a cool chick, so people, hook her up!

K.

caliclimbergrl

Mar 31, 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #4 of 13 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Have gear, will travel - Summer/Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi!
I live in Seattle I teach at a community college so I have summers off. I spent last summer living in the Squamish camp ground. This summer, I'm debating between getting a job and paying off some debt, or taking a climbing road trip. I'm guessing the road trip plan will win. But even if it doesn't, I'd love to climb around here with you (Squamish is my favorite place to climb).
I lead trad -- have led a few 10's but I would call myself a solid 5.8 trad leader. Don't do much sport climbing, but I enjoy it once in a while.
If you'd like to meet up to climb somewhere, send me a pm and we can work out the details! :)

clee03m

Apr 1, 2008, 1:34 AM
Post #5 of 13 (4621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Washington so if you need a partner for OR WA or BC (mostly for weekends, I guess), let me know. If you need a place to crash in the Tacoma area (i.e. if you were driving down from Squamish to Smith rock for the fall or something) you would be welcome to stay at my house for a hot shower etc. I may be looking to go somewhere for a week in September or August depending on how work goes...but that's really up in the air right now. FYI, I'm a married woman about your age in case you thought this was some kind of weird proposition...:)

gblauer

Apr 1, 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #6 of 13 (4604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Have gear, will travel - Summer/Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Livvy, I am a friend of KimmyT.

We climb at the gunks all summer...plan on taking a swing through!

Gail

livvy

Apr 1, 2008, 6:11 PM
Post #7 of 13 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm busily PMing everyone who has replied thusfar :)

HI KIMMY! I only get on this forum every once in a while - good to see you here.

stymingersfink

Apr 17, 2008, 9:15 PM
Post #8 of 13 (4380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

livvy wrote:
I'm busily PMing everyone who has replied thusfar :)

HI KIMMY! I only get on this forum every once in a while - good to see you here.
drop geogoddess a line while you're at it if you're going to be in the SLC area. I know she'd welcome the opportunity get some climbing time in, and by then she should have all the rust off and ready to work the sharp end.

szuting

May 2, 2008, 5:13 PM
Post #9 of 13 (4281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi livvy,

I am a moderate trad climber and I always want to travel and climb. I right now have September open and possible part of August too. If you're willing to climb moderate routes, let me know. I live in east coast but I am willing to travel.

rockgirlCO

Jun 8, 2008, 2:22 AM
Post #10 of 13 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [szuting] Have gear, will travel - Summer/Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in Colorado but will be in Squamish last week of August and looking for partners up there during that time frame. Here's my "scorecard": lead in the gym only (10-s), although I did my first outdoor lead today! (sport, easy 7). It's hard finding moderate sport to start out on outdoors; moderates on commonly bolted... I've spent 8 years as on multi pitch trad as a second; never thought I'd ever lead so...I guess I'm evolving. I like to climb multipitch still but I also enjoy cragging where I can push myself (usually on 10a-c) with a lower commitment. Cragging also can be an easy-paced, social day, which I really enjoy. Love good company along with my climbing.

So while I can't swing leads with anyone, if you want to hook up in Squamish in August, send me a note.

janegallwey

Jun 28, 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #11 of 13 (4020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockgirlCO] Have gear, will travel - Summer/Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Myself and the boyfriend are on a 6 month climbing roadtrip til nov, our basic plan is colorado at the mo, up through wyoming and montana to end up eventually in squamish before july 25th (or immigration will send us home!) then back down to yosemite for sept and indian creek october. If you'll be anywhere near us and want to go climbing just pm me and I'll give you our numbers.
I find it really good to climb with other women, don't really get a chance to much at home (Ireland) as there are aprox 10 of us in the country.
I mainly climb trad, though I'm still adjusting to granite cracks so a bit wobbly. Unless I'm having a pussy day I'm ok leading 10a and following 11a.
Anyways if you want to meet up just giz a shout.

stymingersfink

Jun 29, 2008, 1:13 AM
Post #12 of 13 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [janegallwey] Have gear, will travel - Summer/Fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

janegallwey wrote:
Myself and the boyfriend are on a 6 month climbing roadtrip til nov, our basic plan is colorado at the mo, up through wyoming and montana to end up eventually in squamish before july 25th (or immigration will send us home!) then back down to yosemite for sept and indian creek october. If you'll be anywhere near us and want to go climbing just pm me and I'll give you our numbers.
I find it really good to climb with other women, don't really get a chance to much at home (Ireland) as there are aprox 10 of us in the country.
I mainly climb trad, though I'm still adjusting to granite cracks so a bit wobbly. Unless I'm having a pussy day I'm ok leading 10a and following 11a.
Anyways if you want to meet up just giz a shout.
sounds to me as though the international border crossings are when you've got to worry most.

those assholes are never fun to deal with.

livvy

Sep 9, 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #13 of 13 (3258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few bizarre reversals in my SO's schedule and some great opportunities came up which resulted in me spending the last month in Paris and now deciding where in Europe to spend the last half of September. I won't be back in N America until November now it looks like.

Thank you to everyone who replied or PMd - even though I haven't been able to meet up with anyone this summer, I'm "retired" now so I plan to do regular climbing trips next year and I'm looking forward to reaching out to and climbing with the people who contacted me.

I've already looked on this site a bit and sent some PMs but if you know of anyone climbing in Spain/France or a close flight from there the last half of September I would love to know about them. Thanks again!

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook