RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

katydid

Nov 3, 2002, 11:50 AM
Post #1 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is actually a serious problem for me, so please don't laugh. Too hard, anyway.

I pack on leg muscle like nobody's business. When I was fencing competitively, for example, I had 24.5 inch thighs and a 25 inch waist. That's EACH thigh, not both together.

Alas, my waist is no longer that tiny, but I still have massive legs. The more I climb, the more massive they are getting. This is making it utter HELL to find pants. Even the relaxed fit ones are quite snug.

Any suggestions on pants that may fit? (Please bear in mind that I'm of the little waist-big hips body type to go with my monster legs...) I can't wear leggings to work, so I have to find SOMETHING. Even the Eddie Bauer relaxed fit (baggy) jeans are too tight in the leg, and they're pretty damn baggy.

Help me, ladies....you're my only hope!

My legs thank you in advance....

Kate

russmanswife

Nov 3, 2002, 6:33 PM
Post #2 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

have you tried lee's they aren't too bad made more to fit a women's shape them some of them out there. or what about the straight leg cut are they loose enough or not? i have never tried those so i don't know i tend to buy the tapered pant legs. i know it is a pain shopping for jeans i pant i hate it nothing every fits right.

bobbi

i actually meant the wide leg pants sorry was too early yesterday.

[ This Message was edited by: russmanswife on 2002-11-04 08:24 ]

farasnyl10

Nov 4, 2002, 2:27 PM
Post #3 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

another thing you might look for is jeans that have a little bit of lycra blended into the denim....gives the jeans a bit of stretch, kinda of like what you might get with really broken in pants. super comfortable- and in any jeans that might be tighter in some areas than others, it will definately make them feel less constricting.
sarah

ecocliffchick

Nov 4, 2002, 3:25 PM
Post #4 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are looking for climbing pants, the best one's I've found are the verve "genie" type pants. The have an elasticized waist which is comfortable under a harness and the legs are very baggy AND made with lycra so there's absolutely no restriction. These pants are just awesome, but somewhat difficult to find. Good luck.

rockwomyn

Nov 4, 2002, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For Climbing...i found that the "Borrego(sp) by Prana are really nice, soft wide legged and a draw string waist. Almost nice enough to wear to work...but a little pricey.

For work..i always buy pants at Express, they have nice pants with strech material in them, or old navy they have great stretch denim. i also have the problem with the smaller waist deal. my butt and thighs are like, WOW and my waist is tiny. I feel your pain...so if you find a pair that works buy a couple and in different colors.

lilred

Nov 4, 2002, 9:20 PM
Post #6 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a fan of the Verve lida pants as ecochic suggested...

nice and snug yet comfy round the waist, and perfectly baggy...

For normal wear, look at hornytoad clothing on the web

climbsomething

Nov 5, 2002, 12:54 AM
Post #7 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Eryn, the Prana Borrego pants are nice. Soft and loose, and nice enough to do double duty with climbing and everyday wear. Wear the khaki ones to work and nobody will know!

For day to day wear, also check out the gap. They seem to size pretty liberally (tis good for the ego... the gap says I am 2 pants sizes smaller sometimes, so who'm I to argue? ). I am not a big person but I do have a relatively curvy booty region, and Gap slacks do me good. They always seem to have good, cheap stuff on their clearance racks too... I got a pair of jeans there for $1.97 once. NOT KIDDING!

Partner calamity_chk

Nov 5, 2002, 4:02 AM
Post #8 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kate,

I have a similar problem, but in the opposite direction .. I'm teeny, and it's always really hard for me to find clothes too .. well, clothes that dont have Sesame Street logos on them

It may sound a little cheesy, but I've actually started making my own climbing pants. I found a pattern that I like, and I've adjusted it so that everything fits the way I like. Now, I just watch for fabric that I like, and presto .. a new pair of pants.

katydid

Nov 5, 2002, 12:36 PM
Post #9 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was mulling over that very option yesterday. What kinds of fabrics do you find work best?

k.

lilred

Nov 5, 2002, 7:59 PM
Post #10 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ask geo bout his spandex pants and chapstix story!

ecocliffchick

Nov 6, 2002, 3:03 PM
Post #11 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've also found that Gap jeans seem to fit me well. My waist is proportionally smaller than my ass, and the Gap jeans (low rise) seem to fit just perfectly with my imperfect proportions.

machiavellian

Nov 7, 2002, 10:07 PM
Post #12 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually I find that most pants don’t fit me (wast =25", hips= 35", thighs=20", calves=13.5", pants=fall off waist, held up with climbing harness). This is not because of fat, I dance ballet, ride a road bike, climb and a bunch of other stuff. Because of this I personally find Gap jeans to work very well. I like the “low rise boot cut stretch jeans”. (This would be for general use.) For climbing I bought a pair of Watergirl pants that have very baggy legs and are low rise that work great. Good luck.

rockwomyn

Nov 8, 2002, 2:31 PM
Post #13 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes.....S-T-R-E-T-C-H is where it's at. Old Navy also has great boot cut, low rise jeans with the old spandex in them....and they are a lil' bit cheaper than the GAP. These jeans are so comfy.....they are not really like jeans. Plus it works well with the small waist, healthy sized bottom and thighs figure.

aeile

Nov 12, 2002, 10:25 AM
Post #14 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yay! I get to contribute!
Stretch jeans! heck yes! Love them!
I have birthing hips (thx to my son & girlie-o!) but a smaller waist, and was wondering what the heck to wear out climbing myself. The next time you go to Wal-Mart, or insert chain store name here, check out the men's dept. They are hogging all the great stuff to themselves. Seriously. The last few years they have made pajama pants with elastic drawstring waistbands with patterns that are sooo cute and flattering on a girl... and when they bunch up they don't cut into you like jeans would, but they move way better. Pair with one of the cute solid tank tops with a flower patch on the boob (at least my blue one has one!) and it's really cute. If you are really nuts, get a pair with the flames on em.. they also come a lot more plain and understated too. (course for non-climbing the Dickies khaki's they sell in the men's dept are perfect on a girlie too if you buy em baggy and put a top with em that is feminine...). To be perfectly honest with you, I don't know how much Prana's run... but I am cheap and would rather put my cash in my gear than my attire. I do understand the Sesame Street logo thing... I kept trying to find a cute climbing top that would be flattering.. guess I should have figured that I would find them in little girl's size 12-14. bleh. They were on sale at the end of the season though for 3 bucks a piece!

Partner calamity_chk

Nov 18, 2002, 6:43 PM
Post #15 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey there .. sorry for the delayed response.

re: fabrics .. i generally go for cotton/linen blends as they are very breathe-able.

i also tend to keep an eye on the scraps at the local hobby shops and stuff until i find something that suits my fancy. when i find some material on sale that i like, i go ahead and buy it.

i also take note of the fabric blend when i find "real pants" that i like.

hope this helps!
amber

sarhawp

Dec 5, 2002, 5:47 PM
Post #16 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To go along with the fabric buying topic here:
If you have a Hancock fabrics near you, check it out every now and again. You can usually find some really good deals in their sale items. I've found some really good lycra materials and even some fun parachute pant material. I would suggest to maybe start with some shorts or cargo type shorts (below the kneee length is my preference) too...sometimes easier to make!

enigma

Dec 6, 2002, 5:52 AM
Post #17 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't sew,what am I to do? Are you really making your own climbing pants?
That's great!
Maybe you can market them and sell them to stores.(just a thought).Do they look homemade??

sarhawp

Dec 6, 2002, 8:49 PM
Post #18 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do they look homemade? Well, I don't think so. Just make sure you get a nice looking pattern (or you can always take apart a pair of pants that do fit you and use them as a pattern)...If you do buy a pattern, make sure you catch them on sale or at the very least...half off. You can usually find them on sale at JoAnn Fabrics once a month for a buck each.

The only thing that gives them away is there are no 'cool' tags or logos all over them identifying what brand they are. I actually make a lot of stuff, but with some crowds, sometimes its just easier to say I ripped off all the tags and took off the logos as opposed to explaining to them that I made it.

A great beginner project is a skirt (a basic A-line skirt or just a skirt with one back piece and one front peice with a slit on one or both side is a great place to start).

katydid

Dec 6, 2002, 9:22 PM
Post #19 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And basic, elastic-waist pants are pretty close to an A-line skirt. If you can find cheap fabric, you can save a lot of money sewing your own clothes.

That said, I'm finding also that "trekking" pants (at MEC) seem to fit me well, although I wouldn't climb in them, as I would wear the butt out in no time with my harness. I'll probably buy me some pants to work in, and sew me some pants to climb in. That way I can have some wacky-fabric pants that no-one else has!

Kate

arak42

Dec 12, 2002, 11:42 PM
Post #20 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not shaped like a climber at all, but alas, I love the sport. Finding climbing pants is a pain. (all the climbing companies assume that climbing women are tiny people) I am planning on making my own, but until then my favorite climbing pants are the scrubs that I stole from my med student ex boyfriend. They are not bulky under a harness and are light enough to use in the summer. Light wieght sleeping pants work just as well

As few regular pants, I completely agree... stretch jeans! I just bought my first pair, low rise, boot cut from Gap. I love them! I have the little waist large behind thing too (thanks mom!) I still have to wear a belt, but that is pare for the course. The other pants I buy are mens pants. They hang low, but the thighs are large enough and they are way more comforable than womans pants!

mypeace

Dec 15, 2002, 4:16 PM
Post #21 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

arak are you like deformed, you must have huge thighs...

arak you are a chump, you talk so much trash at the wall and the boulders then you come here and are all sensitive...anyways I do apologize for my comment, and if anyone really cares, she was my super hot TA who gave me an A- in geol instead of the A I deserved

[ This Message was edited by: mypeace on 2002-12-15 20:56 ]

arak42

Dec 15, 2002, 11:05 PM
Post #22 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

now really mypeace, that is not very nice.

super hot?? you bet I am Thank you mypeace. (your still not getting the A you didn't earn )

[ This Message was edited by: arak42 on 2002-12-16 18:50 ]

katydid

Dec 16, 2002, 1:13 PM
Post #23 of 23 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And this has WHAT to do with pants, arak?

Kate

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook