Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

zeke_sf

Jun 25, 2008, 7:04 PM
Post #1 of 19 (5928 views)
Shortcut

McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area: McDowell_Mountains)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I decided to check the area out today, just to see what the climbing looked like. The directions as detailed here (which are the same as in the Falcon guide, Rock Climbing Arizona), will not currently work. There is construction on the dirt road (128th Street), and the construction crews have closed off the road and piled insurmountable mounds of dirt on the road itself. So, how do I get up to Tom's Thumb, failing this access route? It would also be interesting to know how this is going to affect access to the crags there. I'm pissed about it, and I haven't even climbed there yet!

nutcrackersweet

Jul 3, 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #2 of 19 (5883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

same thing happened to me yesterday. anyone have any news?

lvpyne

Jul 3, 2008, 2:07 AM
Post #3 of 19 (5871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might try taking Alma School Road/Parkway east from Happy Valley Road. It'll take you through a bunch of neighborhoods but you'll end up pretty close to the parking lot for Sven Slab and Tom's Thumb. You'll probably want a map to navigate through the neighborhoods...

toofreakinsexy1

Jul 3, 2008, 3:09 AM
Post #4 of 19 (5863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They've got this sweet thing called Google Maps....

aerili

Jul 3, 2008, 4:24 AM
Post #5 of 19 (5851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although a lot of the climbing is excellent, you guys are unbelievably masochistic. It was 113 degrees today...in the shade!! OMG, wait til October!
Attachments: Thud.gif (4.55 KB)

curt

Jul 3, 2008, 5:33 AM
Post #6 of 19 (5845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Although a lot of the climbing is excellent, you guys are unbelievably masochistic. It was 113 degrees today...in the shade!! OMG, wait til October!

Agreed. I-17 North will take you to Flag.

Curt

nutcrackersweet

Jul 3, 2008, 5:42 AM
Post #7 of 19 (5839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the alma school route from happy valley is actually the way i went. you still end having to drive down 128th st from the north, and end up getting blocked by huge mounds of dirt lying across the road.

it's easy to just drive around it all if you have a high-clearance vehicle but i guess i was wondering more about access/trespassing issues, like maybe if some of that land is now private and being developed. the last time i was out there was several months ago.

i'm gonna try to get at it from the west next. thanks for the replies.

nutcrackersweet

Jul 3, 2008, 5:44 AM
Post #8 of 19 (5837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha, thanks for the beta curt!

zeke_sf

Jul 3, 2008, 3:12 PM
Post #9 of 19 (5803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:

So, I shouldn't have been climbing at Pinnacle Peak yesterday? It WAS hot, come to think of it.

I'm new to the area, so I just wanted to hike by the climbing up there, check it out.

zeke_sf

Jul 3, 2008, 3:14 PM
Post #10 of 19 (5799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toofreakinsexy1] McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

toofreakinsexy1 wrote:
They've got this sweet thing called Google Maps....

As I understand it, there are access issues to the parking / approach situation. I'm absolutely positive google maps isn't going to tell me a damn thing about that.

lvpyne

Jul 3, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #11 of 19 (5790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
So, I shouldn't have been climbing at Pinnacle Peak yesterday? It WAS hot, come to think of it.

Ah, Pinnacle Peak in the summer isn't too bad. Try Cactus Flower Wall or Y-Crack Boulder -- those two areas and also the areas around the routes "Chutes-n-Ladders" and "Sidewinder" all are fine up until 10:30 am or so. In the afternoons (i.e. after 5pm) try the Sundeck area.

zeke_sf

Jul 3, 2008, 7:01 PM
Post #12 of 19 (5784 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lvpyne] McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lvpyne wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:

Ah, Pinnacle Peak in the summer isn't too bad. Try Cactus Flower Wall or Y-Crack Boulder -- those two areas and also the areas around the routes "Chutes-n-Ladders" and "Sidewinder" all are fine up until 10:30 am or so. In the afternoons (i.e. after 5pm) try the Sundeck area.

Yes, East Cactus Flower was where I was at. I was tr soloing, so it's pretty convenient with those easy-access tiers. I'd love to work the O-Dub on the Y-Crack boulder. It was still heavily in the shade when I was leaving the area around 10:30am or so. I'm not up to the "Sidewinder" grade yet, but it's good to know.

lvpyne

Jul 3, 2008, 7:12 PM
Post #13 of 19 (5779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
Yes, East Cactus Flower was where I was at. I was tr soloing, so it's pretty convenient with those easy-access tiers. I'd love to work the O-Dub on the Y-Crack boulder. It was still heavily in the shade when I was leaving the area around 10:30am or so. I'm not up to the "Sidewinder" grade yet, but it's good to know.

There's a 5.6ish crack that goes up the backside of Y-Crack Boulder. If you want to just work the offwidth on TR, you can lead up the crack on the back of the boulder (it takes gear pretty well -- I've rope soloed it to drop a rope on the offwidth) and extend the anchor off the top of the boulder. It makes working the offwidth fairly straightforward. If you're into TR soloing, the anchors on top of Y-Crack can be used for the 5.6 crack, the offwidth, and 4-5 other face routes on the backside of the boulder.

climbsomething

Jul 3, 2008, 7:25 PM
Post #14 of 19 (5774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um, Zeke?

Point your zekemobile north on I-17. Take highway to its terminus.

Trust me on this.

zeke_sf

Jul 3, 2008, 8:26 PM
Post #15 of 19 (5766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lvpyne] McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lvpyne wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:

There's a 5.6ish crack that goes up the backside of Y-Crack Boulder. If you want to just work the offwidth on TR, you can lead up the crack on the back of the boulder (it takes gear pretty well -- I've rope soloed it to drop a rope on the offwidth) and extend the anchor off the top of the boulder. It makes working the offwidth fairly straightforward. If you're into TR soloing, the anchors on top of Y-Crack can be used for the 5.6 crack, the offwidth, and 4-5 other face routes on the backside of the boulder.

Thanks, yeah, I'm considering doing that in the near future. Those climbs look like a bit of fun.

zeke_sf

Jul 3, 2008, 8:29 PM
Post #16 of 19 (5764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
Um, Zeke?

Point your zekemobile north on I-17. Take highway to its terminus.

Trust me on this.

I'm rehabbing an interminable hand injury right now, so I'm just into doing stuff that is easy and close to home right now. I've had to cancel a road trip already, in fact. I've gone to Mt. Lemmon to ride my bike up and I'd probably go to all the good Flagstaff to hike. Sucks.

By the way, who are you rooting for? Griffin or Jackson? I'm so watching that this weekend.

Partner gandolf

Jul 3, 2008, 9:10 PM
Post #17 of 19 (5748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's really hot but if you still have that masochist feeling - Take Pima Road north, east on Happy Valley Road, right on Alameda, right on 119th, left on E. Casitas/Del Rio Dr., take a right on the dirt road that goes by the only house in the area. Park at the end of the road (past the house). Good luck, go early and take plenty of water.

zeke_sf

Jul 3, 2008, 9:12 PM
Post #18 of 19 (5747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gandolf] McDowell Mt. Access - 128th St. Closed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gandolf wrote:
It's really hot but if you still have that masochist feeling - Take Pima Road north, east on Happy Valley Road, right on Alameda, right on 119th, left on E. Casitas/Del Rio Dr., take a right on the dirt road that goes by the only house in the area. Park at the end of the road (past the house). Good luck, go early and take plenty of water.

Awesome! Thanks. I'd seen other directions but these seem pretty straightforward.

sonso45

Dec 17, 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #19 of 19 (5035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know, it's winter. Stay here and climb now. Flag later. I used the latest directions posted, worked very well. Only a short bit of dirt road. The trail to Tom's Thumb is under construction but the original parking area is unaffected yet. Please drive slowly through the residential areas and the last house you pass.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook