Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Has anyone ever climbed at Fossil Falls?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

hanginaround

Jul 8, 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Has anyone ever climbed at Fossil Falls?  (North_America: United_States: California: Bishop_and_Eastern_Sierra: Fossil_Falls)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was driving up 395 on Friday to go climb Tyndall and a had a little extra time on my hands, so I stopped at Fossil Falls (near the cinder dome and Little Lake, in the deep south of Owens Valley) to do the turon thing.. I down climbed the falls and saw potential for a moderate trad/tr climbing Mecca. I asked around a little with no luck, then I picked up the National Geographic Adventure magazine I brought with me and by dumb luck I found this:

Southern California, Climb Fossil Falls
Fossil Falls, a little-known top-rope paradise east of Highway 395 just north of Little Lake (follow Cinder Road east to the signed 2WD dirt road), is a great high-desert alternative to the hubbub at Joshua Tree. A defunct stretch of the Owens River long ago carved this dried-up defile out of volcanic rock, leaving a low, narrow canyon about a half mile (less than a kilometer) long that's pocked with cracks and holds. One-pitch climbs from 5.1 to 5.11 suit every taste—if one doesn't taste good, there's another one next door that will. The lands below the cliff have been inhabited for 15,000 years, when the world's protocampers bedded down along the now dry lakes and rivers of the Mojave Desert. Up top are views of the southern Sierra, an 11-site primitive campground with water, and, at night, a sky that's far, far from city lights ($6; http://www.blm.gov/...dgecrest/fossil.html).

It looks like a great place to stop and camp on a Friday night, climb some shaded routes in the morning, and then move on to higher altitudes.. Any opinions/beta on the area??

hanginaround

Jul 9, 2008, 10:10 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hanginaround] Has anyone ever climbed at Fossil Falls? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump..

apolobamba

Jul 9, 2008, 7:14 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is a great top roping area for early season. Good campsite too.

mitchgripgrabber

Jul 9, 2008, 8:31 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Black planets down the road have grat camping and bouldering as well. very hot though

josiahdood

Aug 27, 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fossil Falls is sweet! I climb here almost every other day. I work at the geothermal site just up the road and this is about 20 mins from work. A bunch of fun TR's and some decent cracks.

If anyone is ever down to pull some hold here, send me a message.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook