Texas Rock gym isnt good
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Toxins

Jun 25, 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #1 of 48 (19623 views)
Shortcut

Texas Rock gym isnt good  (North_America: United_States: Texas: South_Central_Texas: Texas_Rock_Gym-_Houston)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im sorry to say, but tx rock gym is one of the worst climbing gyms in all of texas. if u are a rockclimber, dont come here. the routes are very stale and the grading is completely off. the employees are clueless about rockclimbing and the place is so expensive, its not even worth it. just to lead climb is 50 bucks, and they have to train you even if u already know what your doingMad. i suggest going to Stone moves, there is north gym and south gym. the north one has amazing bouldering and the south gym has great lead climbing.

acorneau

Jul 11, 2008, 3:21 AM
Post #2 of 48 (19525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toxins] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toxins,

Congratulations on getting your facts completely wrong.

Routes are rotated out after 6 months or so. "Classic" routes may be up for a year.

Some climbs may be rated a little soft or a lttle sandbagged, but not more than any other climbing area, including areas in your back yard (Reimers, greenbelt).

Day passes are $12.50, which is considerably cheaper than most high-end gyms around the country. Each person has to be told the rules of the gym and pass a basic belay test the first time they come in. We call this the "Climb Safe Class" and is a one-time fee of $3.75.

Lead climbing at TRG requires passing our lead test, which is a $10 fee. Lead climbing class (if you want to learn how to lead climb) is $50.

All these facts can be confirmed by checking the website:http://texasrockgym.com/prices.php#ind

I suggest you get your facts straight before posting next time.

Valarc

Jul 11, 2008, 3:32 AM
Post #3 of 48 (19519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Toxins,
Routes are rotated out after 6 months or so. "Classic" routes may be up for a year.
I suggest you get your facts straight before posting next time.

Looks to me like at least one of his facts is pretty much dead-on. Six months? Are you shitting me? The COLLEGE GYM where I set, with no budget for holds, routesetters, or even any kind of employees at all, manages to rotate out routes far more frequently than this. Our students start getting bored if the routes are up for more than two or three months.

climbsomething

Jul 11, 2008, 3:42 AM
Post #4 of 48 (19513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:

!

JDiabo

Jul 11, 2008, 4:53 AM
Post #5 of 48 (19496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah dude, Get ya shit right. TRG cheaper than the other gyms ive been too. at stone moves a bouldering pass is 8$ compared to 5$ at TRG, and to climb the top ropes its pretty cheap too. as far as the routes being "stale" theres a few that ive seen up there for a while, but they usually reset the walls or put up new routes fairly often.i know that this weekend the bouldering cave is being completely stripped and reset

acorneau

Jul 11, 2008, 4:05 PM
Post #6 of 48 (19461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
Looks to me like at least one of his facts is pretty much dead-on. Six months? Are you shitting me? The COLLEGE GYM where I set, with no budget for holds, routesetters, or even any kind of employees at all, manages to rotate out routes far more frequently than this. Our students start getting bored if the routes are up for more than two or three months.

First off, his opinion (not fact) is that the climbs are "stale".

TRG has 50 top-ropes with 2-5 routes per rope, plus ~30 lead climbs, plus a lot (50?) of bouldering routes. Does your wall/gym put up 250+ routes every couple of months? I doubt it.

Partner cracklover

Jul 11, 2008, 4:36 PM
Post #7 of 48 (19433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
TRG has 50 top-ropes with 2-5 routes per rope, plus ~30 lead climbs, plus a lot (50?) of bouldering routes. Does your wall/gym put up 250+ routes every couple of months? I doubt it.

Yup. 70 stations. Walls up to 45 feet. All routes are replaced around every three months.

http://www.metrorock.com/everett.html

GO

Valarc

Jul 11, 2008, 4:37 PM
Post #8 of 48 (19432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, our gym doesn't re-set 250 routes every few months, but we also don't charge people to climb. Everything is done solely by volunteers.

I have, however, climbed at quite a few gyms that had hundreds of routes, and they definitely refreshed their problems more frequently than every six months.

It is a fact that most high-end gyms have a far faster route turnover than what you're claiming for TRG, and that gives a lot of weight to the opinion that those routes are stale.

Routes are the product you are selling your customer - keeping those routes fresh and exciting should be your number one priority (assuming safety as a given).

Gmburns2000

Jul 11, 2008, 4:55 PM
Post #9 of 48 (19413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
acorneau wrote:

Yup. 70 stations. Walls up to 45 feet. All routes are replaced around every three months.

GO

Beat me to it ya bastard!

BTW - that green route you set back in June, the 10d, is a nice route but the second move is HAARRRDDDD!!!

hvguy2

Jul 11, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #10 of 48 (19412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

STONE MOVES, all the way. You won't find better routes or people.

Oh, and the owner pulls double-digits at Hueco.

onsight_endorphines

Jul 11, 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #11 of 48 (19405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hvguy2] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stone Moves is awesome.

Partner cracklover

Jul 11, 2008, 5:38 PM
Post #12 of 48 (19376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
acorneau wrote:

GO

Beat me to it ya bastard!

BTW - that green route you set back in June, the 10d, is a nice route but the second move is HAARRRDDDD!!!

Thanks. That move shuts Allison down, I'm afraid. Sucks, but 10d is suposed to be pretty hard. Left foot backstep, right foot flag hard against the wall.

Cheers,

GO

Toxins

Jul 11, 2008, 5:44 PM
Post #13 of 48 (19369 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

congratulations on supporting one of the worst gyms in texas. i dont give a damn if they swap out the routes, they stil suck horribly.

Toxins

Jul 11, 2008, 5:46 PM
Post #14 of 48 (19361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

look buddy, it doesnt matter if they put up a million routes a day, the routes suck and are totally misgraded. and what i mean by stale is, they are very laderlike and non dynamic.

Toxins

Jul 11, 2008, 5:47 PM
Post #15 of 48 (19358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onsight_endorphines] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

agreed, stone moves is one of the bst compared to the shitty tx rock gym.

olderic

Jul 11, 2008, 5:53 PM
Post #16 of 48 (19354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Thanks. That move shuts Allison down, I'm afraid. Sucks, but 10d is suposed to be pretty hard. Left foot backstep, right foot flag hard against the wall.

Cheers,

GO

It's height dependent Gabe. I flashed it but just barely and have no desire to get back on. Took Nika several tries. I do commend your battle against grade inflation.

I think "our" gym is about as good as it gets (or at least as good as I have seen (I've probably been to 30+ gyms in the US and Canada in the past 20 years) as far as keeping routes fresh.

I don't think there is any charge for the tests either - although that is more the norm.

dreadlock

Jul 11, 2008, 6:34 PM
Post #17 of 48 (19320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hvguy2] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Muse is a super nice guy as well.

I've heard a rumor that Houston is getting a new monster climbing gym soon. A big as Houston is it seems it could support quite a few gyms espeacially given the lack of close available rock.

Partner cracklover

Jul 11, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #18 of 48 (19287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Cheers,

GO

It's height dependent Gabe.

Yeah, I think you're right.

GO

stymingersfink

Jul 12, 2008, 6:18 AM
Post #19 of 48 (19220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you texans sure do get yer panties in a twist over the most inane things.

I don't see any horns on any uv y'all, neither.

sungam

Jul 12, 2008, 1:25 PM
Post #20 of 48 (19174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
you texans sure do get yer panties in a twist over the most inane things.

I don't see any horns on any uv y'all, neither.
Iz troo!
and since only steers and queers come from texas, well, you do the math.
Tongue

Partner camhead

Jul 12, 2008, 2:13 PM
Post #21 of 48 (19163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

speaking of Texas Rock gyms, everyone should check Dallas Rocks in....

wait for it...

Dallas.

The best route setters in Dallas, best angles, and bigest bouldering selection in muthuhfucking TexAss.

Go there!

Bats

Jul 12, 2008, 2:40 PM
Post #22 of 48 (19158 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Bats [In reply to]
Report this Post

elholando

Jul 12, 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #23 of 48 (19118 views)
Shortcut

Re: Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I swore I would not respond to this one, but as somebody with an impartial opinion I felt I should. Plus I'm bored. I'm only in Houston for a couple of months on business, and it's probably the worst metropolitan city in the country for a climber (other than Miami.) I don't mean any offense by that. This doesn't really offend the locals, because they are already completely aware of it. The average elevation is 8 feet.

Now, all that being said let me briefly comment on TRG. I work in Sugar Land, and I chose TRG because of the location. Please bear location in mind if you decide to live / visit in Houston, because it's the 4th largest city in America with no public transportation and the 2nd worst traffic in the country. I also lived in Atlanta which is #1. They have a light rail that's as useless as a limp d***. It's been called "the toy train to nowhere." I've been to three other gyms in different places in the country, and while TRG is as big if not bigger than those places it's probably not as dynamic. For example, it's as big (square footage) as Rocks and Ropes in Tucson, but there's a much bigger local climbing culture in Tucson than there is in Houston having 1,000x more routes right in your back yard. There are 0 routes in Houston other than Minute Maid park (which is awesome BTW.) And I'm sure the Greenbelt is great, but it's not Mt. Lemmon and it's not right in your back yard either. So you just can't expect it to be on par with Rocks and Ropes just as I would expect the surf shops in Miami to be better than those in Chicago (Lake Michigan surfing is great though I'm sure.)

Now, I'm sure Acorneau is pissed right about now, so let me say that I've found the staff and people there to be completely personable and friendly. I completely disagree with the OP in that respect. And they have the cheapest prices I've ever seen. Would I recommend it to an accomplished 5.13 climber looking for a place to train? No, I would recommend that person avoid Houston all together. I'm just a regular everyday normal guy so this is not an issue for me. And I wouldn't say that the patrons don't know the first thing about rock climbing, because I've seen some great climbers who are always open to conversation. If you're going to criticize the place at least do it with some tact. I also have to add that their V scale is totally screwed and that's been reinforced by some other tourists that I've run into. V3 = some theoretical grade not yet conceived and topping out is near impossible. But most people just train and ignore the ratings which I've come to appreciate.

I’m just a regular everyday normal guy…I like da show greys anatomy M***** F*****.

acorneau

Jul 12, 2008, 8:08 PM
Post #24 of 48 (19088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elholando] Texas Rock gym isnt good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

elholando wrote:
I swore I would not respond to this one, but as somebody with an impartial opinion I felt I should....

Now, I'm sure Acorneau is pissed right about now,...

Not at all! I appreciate your honest (yet non-inflammatory) comments about the TRG.

I just get bent out of shape when people post pure false information just to whine about a bad experience.

nivlac

Jul 12, 2008, 9:17 PM
Post #25 of 48 (19067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
olderic wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Cheers,

GO

It's height dependent Gabe.

Yeah, I think you're right.

GO

You guys like the 'new' setter 'Th'? I hear his routes are terrible.

Just kidding, he's a buddy of mine. Still in Jamaica, so unable to respond to this, I hope. :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook