Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Kid friendly crag
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

kw1265

Jul 13, 2008, 5:58 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Kid friendly crag  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northeastern_Region)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am an out of state climber, and will be coming up for a family reunion deal at a place called Pocono Lake Preserve, which is near Pocono Pines, PA. I will have my kids as well as a couple nieces and nephews and may try to get them out climbing for a day. I need to find a place that would be no more than an hour from Pocono Lake Preserve, that would have several good easy routes for kids, (ages 10-18), that I could set up top ropes on. I can lead trad, but doubt I will even bring my rack, as no one in my crew can belay a leader. I will bring webbing, and other stuff for TR set ups.

Any recommendations?

gblauer

Jul 13, 2008, 6:22 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kw1265] Kid friendly crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try this...I think it's reasonably close. I have been there and I think it's pretty easy to walk around the formations and set up TRs. I remember that we parked in a residential neighborhood and walked about 100 yards to the cliff line.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...egion/Tilbury_Rocks/

What about Mocanaqua?
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ion/Mocanaqua_Areas/

davidcollins

Jul 15, 2008, 9:29 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Kid friendly crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Try this...I think it's reasonably close. I have been there and I think it's pretty easy to walk around the formations and set up TRs. I remember that we parked in a residential neighborhood and walked about 100 yards to the cliff line.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...egion/Tilbury_Rocks/

This would be a good place for kids. There is a slab with easy TR setups that is about 50ft tall and various 5.low routes. You will have to check on access, particularly parking. The residential neighborhood was always a bit iffy and I would usually park in one of the vacant lots on the main road and hike through the neighborhood (about 10 minutes).

gblauer wrote:
What about Mocanaqua?
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ion/Mocanaqua_Areas/

Access and parking for both the Main Wall and Paradise/Library is fine. You can set up topropes at the Main Wall but except for one or two routes you will need long slings (at least 20ft). There is one long 5.6 up the main face and a few comparably difficult routes to the sides. At Paradise (which has to been seen to be believed), you have to lead at least one route. The easier routes at the library are all on a detached block and this requires leading as well. You can set TRs on the other wall there but the easiest route on that wall is about 5.8 and the next easiest is about 5.10b.

lena_chita

Jul 15, 2008, 9:54 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidcollins] Kid friendly crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hoping someone would see this, instrad of starting a new thread...

Is there a topo somewhere on the web for Paradize/library walls? I only found a topo for Main wall...

We will be in northeastern PA for a week in early August, and I am hoping to go climbing a couple of times. I am looking for sport and/or accessible toprope set-ups (no gear anchors... I will have plenty of webbing and static rope for tying to trees).

Kids will climb up to 5.8 on toprope, but they will probably only climb once or twice before declaring that they are done. Having some fun sport climbs in the 5.11-5.12 range nearby would be a plus.

I used a geo search on RC.com, and there are plenty of areas within 100 miles of where we would be, but most don't have any route info, no topos, and directions seem almost incomprehensible...

Is there any sport climbing in Lehigh Gorge? And is the Lehigh Gorge a different place than Lehigh Gap? Are there topos anywhere?

What about Stoney Ridge? The RC.com lists some sport climbs there. Topos, anyone?

(This post was edited by lena_chita on Jul 15, 2008, 10:03 AM)

davidcollins

Jul 15, 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Kid friendly crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Hoping someone would see this, instrad of starting a new thread...

Is there a topo somewhere on the web for Paradize/library walls? I only found a topo for Main wall...

We will be in northeastern PA for a week in early August, and I am hoping to go climbing a couple of times. I am looking for sport and/or accessible toprope set-ups (no gear anchors... I will have plenty of webbing and static rope for tying to trees).

Kids will climb up to 5.8 on toprope, but they will probably only climb once or twice before declaring that they are done.

Here's a link to the topos:

http://www.wbcg.net/graphics/topos/topos.htm

Of the two, the Library topo is more accurate and easier to understand. Even so, it omits several bolted routes. Some of the bolted anchors on top of the Island blocks had been removed a couple of years ago and I am not sure what their current status is.

I had a hard time getting the Paradise topo to conform to what I saw when I was at that cliff; I never found it much use. Neither of these gives directions to the cliffs - the route database is your best bet.

lena_chita

Jul 15, 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you!

kw1265

Jul 15, 2008, 5:14 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

David,

Thanks for the info. Unless I missing something, I can't find directions to Tilbury Rocks on the page. Can you point me in the right direction? I have the directions for Mocanaqua, so I might check that out too. I appreciate the local PA hospitality towards an out of state climber!

Thanks,
Kent

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook