RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

stevo

Nov 4, 2002, 3:42 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1488 views)
Shortcut

Benefits of leashless
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On the wknd my friend and I soloed a 500 m ice route without leashes. We just thought we would try it to see what the deal is.
Well, the freedom is incredible. Switching tools, grabbing the tool in various positions, shaking out your hands, throwing onto you harness easily are some of the freedoms.
I will be trying this technique on steeper terrain, and will use for sure in the mixed arena.
I never thought I would care for it, but added freedom was worth it. A little more of a forearm workout now though.

caseyhyer

Nov 4, 2002, 10:24 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1488 views)
Shortcut

Benefits of leashless [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I soloed a WI5 with out leashes and got a little more pumped than normal. I think that I'm use to hanging in my leashes. Is that your techniqe? I have the new viper tools and they feel like they will be easier to hang in. I also ordered some ergo's from charlet moser. The angle is amazing. I just know about this pump thing. Do you think that we just have to get use to it, or do you think that it's realy harder?

stevo

Nov 6, 2002, 3:30 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i didn't quite realise how much of a forearm pump it was until three days later my arms are still pumped.
I think maybe we can get used to this pump, find better ways to hold the tools, especially when placing pro. If not, on long routes I will still use leashes.
But I am still going to try this a few times before I am completely sold on this method. But the freedom of not being locked into your tools was great, really enjoyable. Now to just get over this pump!!

punk

Nov 6, 2002, 3:49 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I use them I keep my grip open (kind of have to force it on yourself…B/C the reflex tendency is to over grip) if u have at home a campus board try hanging on it with slightly open grip as long as u can doing couple sets a day also a broom stick wept with some athletic tape and drill on the top with 5mm cord in 6" loop threaded through the hole and hanging from a chin-up bar will do wanders for the grip …also the leashless tools specific like the Scud or the Agro are allot more forgiving and less pumping tools due to the angle that your hand is in

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook