RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

Partner robdotcalm

Jul 17, 2008, 5:01 AM
Post #1 of 7 (6383 views)
Shortcut

Fall: Werk Supp, El Dorado Canyon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/injuries_and_accidents/serious_accident_in_eldo_this_evening/106204061__2

The following two posts are from Mt. Project:

Thank you so much for your love and support. I was the climber with Preston when he fell on Sunday. To help resolve the issues of what happened, I feel I need to write a bit about it so that it can possibly inform other climbers and help make some sense of the accident. Preston is a very careful, meticulous, and experienced climber. He had set two nuts and was working on the third for quite some time. It was on the first part of Werks route. He had set another about ten or so feet above the third. He was setting the fifth when he lost grip. Although it was traumatic and my memory might be failing me, he hit his left side of his forehead on rock and was unconscious for the rest of the fall since he made no sound and came down like a rag doll. Two of the nuts pulled. I was anchored to the rock that he landed on. It was a freak accident that was horrifying and I don't know what I would have done if I had not gotten the help I did from Brian and his girlfriend Rachel, as well as Micah. You all saved Preston's life. I couldn't have done it without you. I can't thank you enough.

As for his condition: He has serious brain injuries and is getting the best possible care that he can get from St. Anthony's. Today was a good day but it is all touch and go right now.
We've climbed together all season. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to witness. Please send Preston positive thoughts and love. He needs all he can get right now.

Thank you,
Alison
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All-

We (RMRG) are currently compiling the details of this accident, and we hope to release an accident report and lessons learned when our investigation is complete. We hope to do this soon, but hopefully everyone recognizes how critical it is that we get the facts 100% correct before we publish anything.

Tim Holden
Group Leader
Rocky Mountain Rescue Group

notapplicable

Jul 17, 2008, 5:11 AM
Post #2 of 7 (6374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Fall: Werk Supp, El Dorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well damn, that sucks. I'm interested to see what the report reveals about the gear arrangement he constructed on lead and why the placements failed.

Hopefully Preston heals well and quickly.

moose_droppings

Jul 17, 2008, 5:37 AM
Post #3 of 7 (6368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really sorry to hear this.

Hoping for the best outcome.

Partner robdotcalm

Jul 19, 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #4 of 7 (6196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Fall: Werk Supp, El Dorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's sad to report that Preston died last night. My condolences to his family and many friends on this tragic event.

rob.calm

spideyman

Jul 23, 2008, 4:17 PM
Post #5 of 7 (5945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was he wearing a helmet? If so what kind? Nuts 3 and 4 pulled? Terribly sad for your loss.

notapplicable

Jul 23, 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #6 of 7 (5871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear that Preston did not make it. Does anyone know if a complete accident report has been issued yet.

Partner robdotcalm

Sep 18, 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #7 of 7 (5520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Fall: Werk Supp, El Dorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Well damn, that sucks. I'm interested to see what the report reveals about the gear arrangement he constructed on lead and why the placements failed.

Hopefully Preston heals well and quickly.

I inquired of the Rocky Mt Rescue Group and asked if report had been finalized. Here's their reply

"Thanks for contacting RMRG for follow up.

RMRG's goal in publishing accident investigations is to provide outdoor safety information or lessons learned to the public or the climbing community. Unfortunately, in the case of this incident on Werk Supp our investigation was not conclusive, as the system was modified during the rescue and eyewitness accounts were inconsistent. As an organization we felt that there was not enough information to allow us to draw any useful conclusions or provide a clear safety education message to the community."

I can understand their not wanting to conjecture as to what happened. On the Mt Proj site someone stated that he was wearing a helmet.

rob.calm

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook