RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 29, 2008, 2:04 PM
Post #1 of 5 (901 views)
Shortcut

Spam in PM's
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Today I received the quoted note below in my PM box. I have heard others say they, too, have gotten spam in their PM's.

How is it, that a spammer is finding the inner communications system within a website to be accessible enough to that they can send mass PM's? IS it even possible, or is this some ass from the site making a username and doing it because...well, because they are an ass with too much time on their hands?

Thanks in advance for looking into the matter, and explaining why this is being allowed to continue.

In reply to:
Dear Friend

I am Micheal Haword a staff of Delta Capital Bank, Benin Republic .One of our accounts with holding balance of 6,100,000 (Six million One hundred thousand US Dollars ) has been dormant and last operated in the past four (4) years. From investigations and confirmations, the owner of this account is a German American by name Engineer Holger Cohen, who died on the crashed on Thursday,25th December 2003.

Since this development,we have advertised for his next of kin or any close relation to come forward to claim this money, but nobody came to apply for the claim and there was no declared next of kin. Information from the National Immigration service also states that he was single on point of entry into Benin Republic.I now resort to using is last name to trace any of his relation. Where you are not in any way related to him ,we acn have this deal done between us.I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the fund left behind by my client to avert consfiscation by the bank.I have confidentially discussed this issue with a fellow staff and we have agreed to find a reliable foreign partner to deal with.

We thus propose to do business with you standing in as the next of kin of the deceased. The fund will be released to you, after which we shall come over for sharing on a percentage to be agreed upon. This transaction is totally free of risk as the fund is legitimate. On your interest, respond to my request ASAPfor more breifing.
Best Regards,
Micheal Haword

ddt

Jul 29, 2008, 3:14 PM
Post #2 of 5 (896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Spam in PM's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for letting us know about this. I have disabled the user's account.

Anyone with a valid e-mail address can register an account and use the free functionality of rockclimbing.com, including posting in the forums and sending PMs. There is no way to know someone is a spammer when they register, unless we've blocked their IP address before, which we occasionally have to do. Hence we rely on you, the users, to let us know if you receive unsolicited PMs or come across spam posts in the forums. A PM directly to me or an e-mail to me (ddt at rockcliming.com) is usually the most effective. I think we've been pretty good at squashing these quickly and efficiently once we become aware of it.

We have absolutely no incentive or reason to "allow it to continue" as you're putting it. This is a problem that we're all very aware of, and will do our best to contain. Unfortunately, unlike e-mail spam filters, I am not aware of any automated solutions we can utilize to prevent these spam posts or PMs. We need to do it manually, and we need your help.

Thanks,
DDT

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 29, 2008, 6:45 PM
Post #3 of 5 (889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Spam in PM's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay - sorry about the "allow to continue" remark. It just seems to me that a real spammer would go through the registration process and also, since there isn't a way someone can post mass PM's, it seems strange that a person would go through the process of manually sending each PM.

ddt

Jul 29, 2008, 7:55 PM
Post #4 of 5 (882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Spam in PM's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries. I understand. Smile

Incredibly, these spammers are so persistent they do actually go through the manual registration process and they send PMs one by one.

DDT

sbaclimber

Jul 30, 2008, 1:51 AM
Post #5 of 5 (860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Spam in PM's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
Incredibly, these spammers are so persistent they do actually go through the manual registration process and they send PMs one by one.
I find it incredible that they actually do seem to send PMs one-by-one!
Hopefully they never figure out how easy it would be to automatically send PMs to all usersShocked, that would really suck...

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jul 30, 2008, 2:11 AM)

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook