Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Teenagers throwing rocks
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Mellow

Aug 18, 2008, 2:45 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Teenagers throwing rocks  (North_America: United_States: Connecticut: Central: Pinnacle_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heads up: A pair of teens, who were completely aware of the many climbers below, threw a barrage of rocks down two of the cliff faces in rapid succession. One female belayer was hit by a golf ball sized rock in the forehead, just above her eye. Several other near misses. Teens ran off into the woods.

granite_grrl

Aug 18, 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mellow] Teenagers throwing rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

People generally have no concept of the problems they might cause by throwing rocks off a cliff. It's my suggestion to wear a helmet if kids and tourons often visit the top of this cliff.

flipnfall

Aug 19, 2008, 9:00 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had this issue once when I was soloing a route. Two kids started to throw small to medium rocks at me and some cans. I decided against yelling because that would have only made things worse. I've also had this happen when I was just hiking around the bottom. I really wish I knew what to say other than climb at your own risk and don't escalate the situation by yelling/taunting the kids. I climbed with a friend who thought that telling people what he was going to do to them would make things better and it ALWAYS made things worse.

I'm REALLY sorry that happened to you. That truly sucks.

GT

(This post was edited by flipnfall on Aug 19, 2008, 9:00 PM)

0x2102

Aug 19, 2008, 9:23 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They must DIE!!!!!!!11

Sorry that happened, I hope the female belayer didn't get banged up too much.

I was walking around below a crag on the Blue Ridge Parkway not too long ago with a friend and we heard the distinctive whiz of incoming rocks and took shelter under an overhang. My buddy yelled up at the top of the cliff to inform them there were people below, which prompted another barrage of rocks. We took off in bloodthirsty haste toward the top of the cliff and made it to the parking area just in time to see some 11-13 year old boys jump in a Jeep Cherokee which promptly peeled out. At the wheel of the Jeep was a man who looked to be about the right age to be their father and he was swilling on a bottle of wine as he drove away (NICE!). We both kinda relaxed at that point as we realized their days were numbered anyway and there was no need for us to impart justice, as some nasty karma was likely just around the bend.

patmay81

Aug 19, 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [0x2102] Teenagers throwing rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

every time I've had rocks thrown at me (only a couple of times) it was because the kids involved didn't realize that there were people bellow. in both instances I shouted at them, and once they realized I was down there they ceased, one time they even shouted out an apology.

justroberto

Aug 20, 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

0x2102 wrote:
They must DIE!!!!!!!11

Sorry that happened, I hope the female belayer didn't get banged up too much.

I was walking around below a crag on the Blue Ridge Parkway not too long ago with a friend and we heard the distinctive whiz of incoming rocks and took shelter under an overhang. My buddy yelled up at the top of the cliff to inform them there were people below, which prompted another barrage of rocks. We took off in bloodthirsty haste toward the top of the cliff and made it to the parking area just in time to see some 11-13 year old boys jump in a Jeep Cherokee which promptly peeled out. At the wheel of the Jeep was a man who looked to be about the right age to be their father and he was swilling on a bottle of wine as he drove away (NICE!). We both kinda relaxed at that point as we realized their days were numbered anyway and there was no need for us to impart justice, as some nasty karma was likely just around the bend.

1) Maybe you city folk shouldn't be standing around at the base of a cliff.

2) My boys were late getting to their ma's house to get their mullets cleaned up, which is why we were in a hurry.

3) If it makes you feel any better, we hit a tree on the way out and the possum and squirrel blood went all over the 'pholstery.

0x2102

Aug 20, 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Teenagers throwing rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
2) My boys were late getting to their ma's house to get their mullets cleaned up, which is why we were in a hurry.

Doesn't it require multiple stops to get your boys to they mama's houses?

justroberto

Aug 20, 2008, 9:32 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

0x2102 wrote:
justroberto wrote:

Doesn't it require multiple stops to get your boys to they mama's houses?

Well, the first one passed on from the mouth cancer and the second one's in county lockup, so they's only got just one right now...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook