Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Would you purchase consigned name brand clothing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

lextalion

Aug 20, 2008, 4:08 AM
Post #1 of 12 (3171 views)
Shortcut

Would you purchase consigned name brand clothing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been contemplating the idea of opening a consignment store serving outdoors minded women who are tired of purchasing name brand clothing that perfectly new without wading through all the stuff at goodwill or store like them.

I'm talking about Prana, The North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia to name a few.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lextalion] Would you purchase consigned name brand clothing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting concept. Have fun with it!(My favorite part of being an entrepreneur is the plotting and planning stages; it's when I actually have to "do" that I wish for those partners I know better than to get involved with!hahahah).

I would definitely be interested in a shop like this. I have some tops, in particular, that I bought and have worn only once. It seems I either like them or I don't. When it comes time to go out and play, I always pass up those "not quite rights" and reach for the time-tested favorites.

There is a consignment shop in a gear shop in North Conway. Someone else may recall the name; I don't. But they also do climbing/hiking/camping gear. Clothing, if I remember right, tends more towards outerwear, though I think I do recall seeing sport tops...Not sure, but they might be a great resource for you to look into. The owner may be able to provide you with some valuable information, especially if you aren't seen as a direct competitor(since you aren't focusing on gear in general).

I would definitely broaden my scope from climbing to include the other similar exercise/recreational persuits, like yoga. Perhaps cycling - though I don't know anything about that, so maybe it is not appropriate. Include rain and cold weather gear. And, maybe have a category of "rest day" clothing if it is a brick and mortar shop. But to be attractive to as wide a base as possible. If you only target climbing, you will be in for a tough ride, I think.

I'll say, if it were a shop located near a climbing destination where many travelers come through, I think you could have a nice little shop! Good luck.

tigerlilly

Aug 20, 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Would you purchase consigned name brand clothing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, IME in North Conway, NH has a consignment shop downstairs, and I always have to stop down and see what's there when I'm in town. So does Ragged Mountain just outside of town. I scored a pair of brand new ice climbing boots cheap in the consignment section of Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington, VT. Just do me a favor - open the new consignment shop somewhere closer to NYC so I can go more than once a year.

Kathy

Partner macherry

Aug 20, 2008, 3:03 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Would you purchase consigned name brand clothing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if i can get a deal on stuff, i'm all for it. I do like thrift stores (not value village, it's a ripoff and over priced) and i have actually found name brands like mountain hardwear. the north face and prana for a steal.

a consignment store is great, if the prices are reasonable and the stock is great.

go fo it

clee03m

Aug 20, 2008, 4:12 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Would you purchase consigned name brand clothing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you could make it available online, that might be great, too. I don't know if that would be cost efficient...

maww

Aug 20, 2008, 6:01 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Would you purchase consigned name brand clothing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep I'm all for it. I love thrift stores, consignment shops, vintage stores...LOVE 'em all!

And to be able to get Patagonia on sale? AWESOME!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

aerili

Aug 20, 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, there is a little chain of shops in Phoenix that does this exact thing. I have shopped there every now and again for the last couple years; I recently picked up about 10-12 new things for only ~$100ish.

If you would like to check out their website it is http://www.mysisterscloset.com. There is another similar business in Phoenix I haven't been to called A Second Look (believe they have a website too).

MSC has some "true" designer labels but a lot of stuff I do not recognize at all, as well as your usual Banana Republic, J Jill, Chico's, etc.

The only thing I do not like about My Sister's Closet is how they deal with consignments. I took a bunch of clothes there recently--very cute, very gently worn stuff all dry cleaned or ironed by me; however, most of the labels were middle of the road and they were not clothes I have purchased in the last 6-12 months (but older). The woman who consigns rejected everything due to "not being in style." (Incidentally, this woman was the most unfashionable person I have ever seen; she is an overweight frizzy-haired redhead who wore no makeup, had a terrible, terrible haircut, and wore a very unflattering low cut black shirt with jeans--but her ample breast was not the type you would normally want to display in that kind of shirt. So, my point is, I do think you should walk the walk if you are going to be passing judgment on others' style sense and go into this type of business.)

Anyway, my further point isSmile I personally think that not everything currently "in fashion" is cute or desirable or even looks good on all body types--and many people (like myself) forego buying certain fashions but still look for things that appeal to us, current trends notwithstanding. Some of the items I brought this woman were far, far cuter than many of the things they had hanging in that very store but were rejected due to being somehow outdated. (Let me state none of my clothes are so incredibly trendy that they become beyond-a-doubt outdated at a glance.)

I say, consign things that you think people would like to wear regardless of whether the design and cut of every clothing piece is currently seen in most department stores.

The only other thing I have to advise you (sorry for being long winded) is that you should not expect to carry mostly brands like Prana, TNF, etc. If you rely only on outdoors-minded women to bring in things to you as your sole garment "niche," you will probably not stay in business long. Your main supply of clothing will probably be the rest of our friends, moms, and sisters, so I would become knowledgable about what appeals to the greater society at large and then include special areas for clothing that falls into Outdoor or Workout apparel, etc.

Every once in a while I do find outdoor designer labels at my consignment store; I got a like-new pair of Patagonia capris for $8.95 not long ago.

Sorry for the long post but hope that helps you out with my experiences and feelings on what would sustain your business.

lena_chita

Aug 20, 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it were somewhere nearby, or online, I would be interested, both for shopping there and for selling random things that I wore once and didn't like for some reason.

I was thinking just yesterday , i was killing time during rest day by doing some long-neglected clothes shopping, how nice it would be to have something like that.

Browsing through racks at Marshalls', I found a Patagonia tank top-- the exact same model that i wear and LOVE-- but in the size too big. It was on clearance for $4!! They also had some Prana shirts and T-shirts, a pair of Marmot capris and HellyHansen long-sleeved shirt...

Alas, all of the above in wrong sizes.

carabiner96

Aug 20, 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Would you purchase consigned name brand clothing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's always geartrade, but it's been pretty crappy lately.

lextalion

Aug 21, 2008, 6:42 AM
Post #10 of 12 (3013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Ladies,

The few posting have helped my thoughts already. Now how many of you have clothing you'd be willing to consign on say a 60\40 split which is pretty standard out in my area unless you are willing to do the whole store credit thing then its 5050.

Please note this is still hypothetical.

I agree with the on line part of things as I am already prepping to do this with a high end womens consignment shop in the north bay I am getting ready to help open this week.

wonderwoman

Aug 21, 2008, 2:55 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If only I were in your area, I'd be your first customer!

I try to buy all of my work / regular clothes second hand or hand made. That way I'm recycling and supporting local business.

I am a regular consigner with IME in North Conway, too.

So, there is a market out there for you. Let us know how things progress and best of luck!

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 21, 2008, 9:19 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would probably send off some items I bought in the past. Nowdays I try to be more careful about purchasing but I am sure there will be some 'not rights' in the future anyway.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook