Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Climbing Magazine's article
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

 


clee03m


Aug 20, 2008, 9:20 AM
Post #1 of 22 (4218 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 29, 2004
Posts: 782

Climbing Magazine's article
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone else thought the article on how to not attract men while climbing in Climbing Magazine not sit well with them? I especially didn't like the little box at the bottom warning men of certain type of women (I recall they wear heavy make up?). May be I am just an old fashioned feminist, but I don't like advises like wear actual clothing and climb with burly men or stereo typing women.


bizarrodrinker


Aug 20, 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #2 of 22 (4207 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 20, 2005
Posts: 2316

Re: [clee03m] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recall that and I have noticed that I am a cross between two. I sometimes offer unsolicited beta but mostly I watch women climb and don't say anything.

That said wearing clothing that is not revealing won't stop me from watching what I find to be sexy...it just won't.

Sorry.

On a side note...do these writers just peruse climbing websites looking for relevant discussions then pass them off as articles or what?


Gmburns2000


Aug 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #3 of 22 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15113

Re: [clee03m] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is it online? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.


lena_chita
Moderator

Aug 20, 2008, 4:19 PM
Post #4 of 22 (4155 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5597

Re: [clee03m] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I noticed it, thought:"Duh, how dumb!" and dismissed it as so much fluff that the magazines have to fill their pages with. You know, Cosmo-type articles along the lines of "10 things your man wishes you would do in bed" or "Good Housekeeping-type" articles along the lines of "10 things to do to control clutter forever".

It seems that whenever I pick up a magazine in a doctor's office waiting room, there is some sort of dumb shit like that, doesn't matter what magazine or what issue it is, you are guaranteed to see a one-page blurb like that.

Climbing magazine is no different from Cosmo, unfortunately.


petsfed


Aug 21, 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #5 of 22 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8589

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I noticed it, thought:"Duh, how dumb!" and dismissed it as so much fluff that the magazines have to fill their pages with. You know, Cosmo-type articles along the lines of "10 things your man wishes you would do in bed" or "Good Housekeeping-type" articles along the lines of "10 things to do to control clutter forever".

It seems that whenever I pick up a magazine in a doctor's office waiting room, there is some sort of dumb shit like that, doesn't matter what magazine or what issue it is, you are guaranteed to see a one-page blurb like that.

Climbing magazine is no different from Cosmo, unfortunately.

I'm convinced that Cosmo's relationship articles (also Maxims, although the advice is more obviously bad there) exist solely to reinforce passive-aggressive, codependent tendencies in their readers. And then when it blows up in their face, which magazine do they buy to help them figure it out? Cosmo.

I've made it a habit when I notice that a girl I'm dating reads Cosmo to read the relationship articles in my best Paul Harvey voice. Lets face it, if it sounds ridiculous when Paul Harvey says it, it must be ridiculous. After that, they usually stop reading Cosmo. I guess I've got to start doing the same thing for the climbing rags.


wonderwoman


Aug 21, 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #6 of 22 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just read this article and think it's pretty lame. I don't like when women trash talk each other on make up / clothes / appearance. And for what it's worth, I've never seen scantily clad women climbing at our gym anyway.

lena_chita wrote:
You know, Cosmo-type articles along the lines of "10 things your man wishes you would do in bed"

Oh, and off topic and as a heads up to all you moms out there, but I just discovered there is a 'Cosmo Girl' by searching my web history and seeing what my 12yr old was up to. It even comes with sex questions. The first of which was: 'I had anal sex with my boyfriend - Can I get pregnant?' She then went on to read all of the following 6 pages which had more scandalous questions. We now all agree that Cosmo Girl is not allowed - ever!


bizarrodrinker


Aug 21, 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #7 of 22 (4073 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 20, 2005
Posts: 2316

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I just read this article and think it's pretty lame. I don't like when women trash talk each other on make up / clothes / appearance. And for what it's worth, I've never seen scantily clad women climbing at our gym anyway.

lena_chita wrote:
You know, Cosmo-type articles along the lines of "10 things your man wishes you would do in bed"

Oh, and off topic and as a heads up to all you moms out there, but I just discovered there is a 'Cosmo Girl' by searching my web history and seeing what my 12yr old was up to. It even comes with sex questions. The first of which was: 'I had anal sex with my boyfriend - Can I get pregnant?' She then went on to read all of the following 6 pages which had more scandalous questions. We now all agree that Cosmo Girl is not allowed - ever!

A portrait of how fucked up the media is today.


aerili


Aug 21, 2008, 2:34 PM
Post #8 of 22 (4048 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Posts: 1166

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yeah, 12 yr olds can call Loveline to get that information anyway!


As for the actual topic at hand, I read the article and also felt it was a somewhat of a filler piece. The only personally interesting part for me is that one of my partner's sister is quoted in it.

I'm not sure why the author specifically targeted the gym setting, either. It's probably more of a problem for women in other climbing settings (at least it has been for me at times).


wonderwoman


Aug 22, 2008, 5:17 AM
Post #9 of 22 (3969 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [aerili] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Yeah, 12 yr olds can call Loveline to get that information anyway!

The plot thickens for our household. Last night I had to revoke a username from a chat website where my daughter had chosen a cartoon teen avatar, using her real first name, and claiming to be 17yrs old.

aerili wrote:
I'm not sure why the author specifically targeted the gym setting, either. It's probably more of a problem for women in other climbing settings (at least it has been for me at times).

I don't have any problems in the gym or outside. Maybe that's because I climb with my husband.

However, I did have a guy try to pick me up in the dairy aisle of the natural food store last week. What did I do wrong to attract his attention? It must have been my 'Juicy' shorts or something...


zenelky


Aug 22, 2008, 9:19 AM
Post #10 of 22 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 24, 2005
Posts: 137

Re: [clee03m] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I thought it was a rather silly article with little to no value, exept when I ran out of other reading material in the bathroom.

I think it's nice that Climbing is trying to shift the focus to include women, but they need some fine tuning.

Figure it's the thought that counts. At least they're trying.


aerili


Aug 22, 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #11 of 22 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Posts: 1166

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
aerili wrote:
Yeah, 12 yr olds can call Loveline to get that information anyway!

The plot thickens for our household. Last night I had to revoke a username from a chat website where my daughter had chosen a cartoon teen avatar, using her real first name, and claiming to be 17yrs old.

OMG, I understand that teens' and pre-teens' brains become scrambled in a re-organizing change, apparently, at that age, but it's still so hard (as an adult) to grasp why they become so dumb sometimes!!! (My mom teaches middle school, I hear plenty of stories.) Apparently all the true stories of Real Life Predators online are just fairy tales to them?? Anyway, my best wishes to you on that one, ww!


wonderwoman wrote:
However, I did have a guy try to pick me up in the dairy aisle of the natural food store last week. What did I do wrong to attract his attention? It must have been my 'Juicy' shorts or something...

I say, be sexy for as long as you can to the rest of the world. Cool You might miss it when it's gone.


bizarrodrinker


Aug 22, 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #12 of 22 (3890 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 20, 2005
Posts: 2316

Re: [aerili] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
aerili wrote:
Yeah, 12 yr olds can call Loveline to get that information anyway!

The plot thickens for our household. Last night I had to revoke a username from a chat website where my daughter had chosen a cartoon teen avatar, using her real first name, and claiming to be 17yrs old.

OMG, I understand that teens' and pre-teens' brains become scrambled in a re-organizing change, apparently, at that age, but it's still so hard (as an adult) to grasp why they become so dumb sometimes!!! (My mom teaches middle school, I hear plenty of stories.) Apparently all the true stories of Real Life Predators online are just fairy tales to them?? Anyway, my best wishes to you on that one, ww!

As if all of us didn't do equally stupid things as adolescents albeit not as public as the internet.


aerili wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
However, I did have a guy try to pick me up in the dairy aisle of the natural food store last week. What did I do wrong to attract his attention? It must have been my 'Juicy' shorts or something...

I say, be sexy for as long as you can to the rest of the world. Cool You might miss it when it's gone.

Children follow by example is all I have to say. Be it their parents, or INFINTELY more likely popular culture. Tho parents have more long term influences on their children as I am learning as I get a bit older.


wonderwoman


Aug 22, 2008, 1:52 PM
Post #13 of 22 (3857 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:
aerili wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
However, I did have a guy try to pick me up in the dairy aisle of the natural food store last week. What did I do wrong to attract his attention? It must have been my 'Juicy' shorts or something...

I say, be sexy for as long as you can to the rest of the world. Cool You might miss it when it's gone.

Children follow by example is all I have to say. Be it their parents, or INFINTELY more likely popular culture. Tho parents have more long term influences on their children as I am learning as I get a bit older.

Now do you seriously think I have a pair of 'Juicy' shorts? I was making reference to the article, silly! Sly

Although my daughter does have shorts with writing on the butt, like gymnast and stuff. I think anything written on the butt should say 'poop' or 'fart'. I'm thinking of starting my own clothing line. Think it will take off?


lena_chita
Moderator

Aug 22, 2008, 2:53 PM
Post #14 of 22 (3848 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5597

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
aerili wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
However, I did have a guy try to pick me up in the dairy aisle of the natural food store last week. What did I do wrong to attract his attention? It must have been my 'Juicy' shorts or something...

I say, be sexy for as long as you can to the rest of the world. Cool You might miss it when it's gone.

Children follow by example is all I have to say. Be it their parents, or INFINTELY more likely popular culture. Tho parents have more long term influences on their children as I am learning as I get a bit older.

Now do you seriously think I have a pair of 'Juicy' shorts? I was making reference to the article, silly! Sly

Although my daughter does have shorts with writing on the butt, like gymnast and stuff. I think anything written on the butt should say 'poop' or 'fart'. I'm thinking of starting my own clothing line. Think it will take off?

Worth trying... Wink

And believe it or not, I was presented with a pair of shorts that said 'babe' on them a couple of years ago. The person who came up with this great gift idea was MY MOM.

When I asked her is she really thought that red shorts with the word 'babe' across the back constituted an appropriate attire for a married 30 year old mother of two kids, my Mom said: but they were on clearance sale!!!

Duh, Mom, maybe there was a REASON why they were on clearance!


clausti


Aug 22, 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #15 of 22 (3804 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2004
Posts: 5690

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ok so

0. i didn't read the article.

1. in the summertime, i climb practically naked fairly often. i have honestly never been harassed while climbing, and the most aggressive thing i've ever had to do to shut up unsolicited beta while climbing was to turn around, put my fingers to my lips and go SHHHHHH!

2. i like cosmo. and bubble gum. and sugar! and britney!

3. my parents revoked my 12 year old user name for posting on a sex-ed form asking about dreams. my older brother had apparently post stalked me and told my parents in horror that the dream involved a friend of his (we were wrestling, the friend touched my boob, it was totally benign). my mother was *beyond* horrified. i got in trouble, and learned never to ever ever ever talk to my mom about anything so shocking as boob touching. instead, i read lots of things ranging from cosmo girl to scarletteen to planned parenthood (who i'm pretty sure also had stuff on anal sex) on the all-knowing intrawebs.

4. you know what would help keep people from getting stalking online? high school sports events should not post their results with first and last names, and high school online. it creeps me out how many times boys i googled in college came up with *high school* sports results. i'm sure girls sports show up too. that is creepy.


lena_chita
Moderator

Aug 23, 2008, 7:08 AM
Post #16 of 22 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5597

Re: [clausti] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
1. in the summertime, i climb practically naked fairly often. i have honestly never been harassed while climbing, and the most aggressive thing i've ever had to do to shut up unsolicited beta while climbing was to turn around, put my fingers to my lips and go SHHHHHH!

You're just too intimidating when you climb practically naked.Tongue

I was a little too slow to jump up and take up all the slack when K. was freaking out on a climb yesterday. When he came down, he told me that clausti would have yelled at me a lot harder for that.

That's as much of a "harassment" as I ever faced while climbing.

But seriously, what normal woman would look to a Climbing magazine for suggestions on how to avoid unwanted male attention? You don't learn that sort of stuff from a magazine. I am pretty capable of figuring out what to do to stop some creep from helping me untie my figure 8. Not that it ever came up as an issue...


granite_grrl


Aug 23, 2008, 8:29 AM
Post #17 of 22 (3760 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14713

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I am pretty capable of figuring out what to do to stop some creep from helping me untie my figure 8.
Use a bowline instead?


bizarrodrinker


Aug 25, 2008, 6:19 AM
Post #18 of 22 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 20, 2005
Posts: 2316

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
aerili wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
However, I did have a guy try to pick me up in the dairy aisle of the natural food store last week. What did I do wrong to attract his attention? It must have been my 'Juicy' shorts or something...

I say, be sexy for as long as you can to the rest of the world. Cool You might miss it when it's gone.

Children follow by example is all I have to say. Be it their parents, or INFINTELY more likely popular culture. Tho parents have more long term influences on their children as I am learning as I get a bit older.

Now do you seriously think I have a pair of 'Juicy' shorts? I was making reference to the article, silly! Sly

Although my daughter does have shorts with writing on the butt, like gymnast and stuff. I think anything written on the butt should say 'poop' or 'fart'. I'm thinking of starting my own clothing line. Think it will take off?

You never can tell these days.

I think a pair of shorts with Mister Yuck on the ass would be pretty funny tho.


rockgirlCO


Aug 27, 2008, 3:33 PM
Post #19 of 22 (3083 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2008
Posts: 36

Re: [clee03m] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lame. As was the article with the rating system for how much flesh someone should be allowed to show. As was Katie Brown's crag dog article, which had nothing to do with stories about her dog being a crag dog but entirely about a stupid human not following the vet's instructions and then thinking about ditching the dog because the dog was doing what came natural... I won't be renewing my subscription after 1 year of sampling the mag every month. On the other hand, I always jump at reading old issues. Have you noticed what a wealth of valuable and interesting information Climbing use to have??? Where is that editor? Bring him or her back!!


mheyman


Aug 27, 2008, 4:30 PM
Post #20 of 22 (3075 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 25, 2002
Posts: 607

Re: [rockgirlCO] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

At it most accurate the article was a caricature. Still it was a very poor article and I was d
isappointed (again) to see it in Climbing.
Children wise we are going through the same type s of things lena_chita mentions. Worse, our current culture is giving away what so many women fought for during the last 40 years.


olive


Aug 31, 2008, 9:26 PM
Post #21 of 22 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 5, 2003
Posts: 597

Re: [mheyman] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think the problem with that article was that it was supposed to be funny - but it was not.

I think it is good to have some ironic/humorous/light articles in magazines - if they are well done. This one was lame and stale.


mheyman


Sep 1, 2008, 8:01 AM
Post #22 of 22 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 25, 2002
Posts: 607

Re: [olive] Climbing Magazine's article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yes Olive, I am sure you are coorect, but he article was so-not-funny that none of the previous replies even mentioned it!


Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$8.28 (10% off)
$123.30 (10% off)
$80.06 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook