Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Homemade Rumney Guidebook
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mojomonkey

Aug 20, 2008, 8:18 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Homemade Rumney Guidebook  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Grafton_County: Rumney)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I took my first trip up to Rumney for a week in early July and, since there was no current guidebook, made my own. To do so, I compiled all of the info available at the time from this site, mountainproject.com, and a little from neclimbs.com.

I put it in a format where I could print it landscape in duplex mode, cut it in half, and fold it over for a 5.5"x4.25" book I could get bound. It ended up at ~450 half size pages covering 500+ routes and served me well. Others borrowed it while I was there and seemed interested in getting a copy, so I wondered if I should post it somewhere. Again, I should stress the information is not my own. Most of the text was from Mountain Project, though I did edit it (the guy who posted much of it was obsessed with using 3-5 periods as his only form of punctuation, and I stripped out phrases that got on my nerves after repetition and lots of the hold by hold descriptions). There are some route order errors I found while I was there, possibly more in the areas I didn't get to.

So, would that be OK to post? I don't want to step on anybody's toes - those who actually supplied the info and photos as well as guidebook authors... The word document (using booklet format) is about 50 megs. I generated a PDF as well, since that is what I sent off to an office store to get printed and bound with a protective cover. That weighs in around 80 megs. Either is likely too large to attach here, and I don't want to post them on my personal site in case there is a lot of interest...

Thoughts?

qqac

Aug 20, 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Homemade Rumney Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Really? Dude, that is a ton of work and you should not let it go to waste! Since you've already put that much work into compiling it, maybe invest a little more work and contact Lee H and Jay K and others who provided source materials and coordinate copyright, publication and royalty rights. It can be self-published on the web, and you can split revenues as appropriate.

churningindawake

Aug 20, 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qqac] Homemade Rumney Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YOu should make it into a guidebook and sell it.

jh_angel

Aug 20, 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ward Smith has a new guidebook ready to put out. He's just waiting on the Forest Service to get their sh!t together and put out their new management plan that he will include in the front of the guide so that climbers don't break the rules and endanger access.

jmjosef

Sep 18, 2008, 9:35 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The new guide book will be coming out very soon. The editing is being wrapped up as we speak and should be out to print quite soon.

jakedatc

Sep 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmjosef] Homemade Rumney Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmjosef wrote:
The new guide book will be coming out very soon. The editing is being wrapped up as we speak and should be out to print quite soon.

Source?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook