Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

brownie710

Aug 22, 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #1 of 26 (7609 views)
Shortcut

UIAA response to my rope marking question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am pasting below my question to and response from the UIAA regarding using dental floss to mark the middle of my rope. I know this is a highly debated topic on RC.com and thought it noteworthy.

Message: I have heard that "whipping" the middle of one's climbing rope with dental floss can be an effective and safe method of marking the middle. If one only runs the thread along the inside of the sheath, not the core,then wraps or "whips" the thread around the outside of the sheath is this considered non-damaging to the integrity of the rope? I appreciate your help. Thanks
Gratefully,
josh

UIAA Response:

I think it is certainly a solution that do not damage the rope, but I am sure that the thread will not stay very long . Anyway the best solution for marking the middle is to use a proper ink as specify by the manufacturer.
See the website of the different manufacturer. J-F CHARLET UIAA SAFETY COMMISSION PRESIDENT

Gmburns2000

Aug 22, 2008, 2:10 PM
Post #2 of 26 (7544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brownie710] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While not surprising, it is a helpful response to see.

sbaclimber

Aug 22, 2008, 2:34 PM
Post #3 of 26 (7510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although it is good to have an official response, the helpfulness of it is rather limited.....
Not all rope manufatures make recommendations on their websites.
e.g.
From Sterling's site:
In reply to:
So, again and as usual, you are the best judge of your own comfort level. If you have been marking your rope for years with a pen and have never had a problem, then use your own judgment to decide if the new UIAA stance is going to alter your opinion.

I couldn't find anything on the sites from Mammut, Beal, Edelrid, NE, or PMI recommending any particular method. Kind of strange in the case of Beal, seeing as they actually sell ink for marking ropes....

justroberto

Aug 22, 2008, 3:07 PM
Post #4 of 26 (7480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't listen to that jerk; listen to this one:

When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When something's going wrong
You must whip it

now whip it
into shape
shape it up
get straight
go forward
move ahead
try to detect it
it's not too late
to whip it
whip it good

Use unwaxed dental floss, and every third turn around the rope whip it through the sheath. The first time I tried it, I didn't do either of these and it made a silly mess. I did it correctly the second time around and it's lasted a lot longer than the factory-furnished center mark ever did.

majid_sabet

Aug 22, 2008, 4:35 PM
Post #5 of 26 (7395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climber fell 35 feet while rappelling

After ranger Joe Jackson on Hachapi recreational park investigated the recent climbing accident, he discovered that Mike n00ber of Kansas used fine threads of dental floss to mark the mid section of his rope which eventually moved 35 feet off center.

Partner epoch

Aug 22, 2008, 4:43 PM
Post #6 of 26 (7385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

After ranger Joe Jackson on Hachapi recreational park investigated the recent climbing accident, he discovered that Mike n00ber of Kansas used fine threads of dental floss to mark the mid section of his rope which eventually moved 35 feet off center.

Majid, you didn't read this, did you?

justroberto wrote:

Use unwaxed dental floss, and every third turn around the rope whip it through the sheath. The first time I tried it, I didn't do either of these and it made a silly mess. I did it correctly the second time around and it's lasted a lot longer than the factory-furnished center mark ever did.

flipnfall

Aug 22, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #7 of 26 (7373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for sharing.

GT

swaghole

Aug 22, 2008, 5:00 PM
Post #8 of 26 (7358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brownie710 wrote:
I am pasting below my question to and response from the UIAA regarding using dental floss to mark the middle of my rope. I know this is a highly debated topic on RC.com and thought it noteworthy.

Message: I have heard that "whipping" the middle of one's climbing rope with dental floss can be an effective and safe method of marking the middle. If one only runs the thread along the inside of the sheath, not the core,then wraps or "whips" the thread around the outside of the sheath is this considered non-damaging to the integrity of the rope? I appreciate your help. Thanks
Gratefully,
josh

UIAA Response:

I think it is certainly a solution that do not damage the rope, but I am sure that the thread will not stay very long . Anyway the best solution for marking the middle is to use a proper ink as specify by the manufacturer.
See the website of the different manufacturer. J-F CHARLET UIAA SAFETY COMMISSION PRESIDENT

For what it's worth, I've done this a number of times on a number of ropes and there was no apparent damage to the sheath. The floss would easily pass through belay device (grigri or atc). It also lasted for a long, but that depends on what type of rock you climb. I suspect that rough sandstone would rip the dental floss pretty quickly.

skinner

Aug 22, 2008, 5:27 PM
Post #9 of 26 (7323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brownie710 wrote:
...use a proper ink as specify by the manufacturer...

Ya, I've never been able to find a "manufacturer specified ink" either.

Being an old trad-daddy from way back, it was a pretty standard thing to whip the middle and both ends of our ropes. We found the dental floss shredded to easily and switched to Dacron fly fishing line backing. I know that some people used just a single 4" strand of floss fed through the sheath, then they'd split the ends and loop half of it through the sheath and knot the two halves back together (if that makes any sense) to keep the floss from sliding out. It seemed to work quite well, and lasted long enough that I don't remember anyone ever having to replace it. It did look rather odd as the strands continued to separate over time, but certainly caught your eye as it always appeared like a bad fray in the rope from a distance.

Chappy76

Aug 22, 2008, 5:27 PM
Post #10 of 26 (7320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
Don't listen to that jerk; listen to this one:

When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When something's going wrong
You must whip it
now whip it
into shape
shape it up
get straight
go forward
move ahead
try to detect it
it's not too late
to whip it
whip it good

Dude,
I just spit soda all over my keyboard! LMAO! I think I should wear one of those red hats the next time I climb.

(This post was edited by Chappy76 on Aug 22, 2008, 5:29 PM)

dingus

Aug 22, 2008, 5:42 PM
Post #11 of 26 (7307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Majid, you didn't read this, did you?

justroberto wrote:

Use unwaxed dental floss, and every third turn around the rope whip it through the sheath.

Whether majid did or not, apparently the poor slob what rapped off the end of his rope DID NOT.

I see no harm nor foul in Majid pointing out the potential consequences of this method.

Personally I think the whole dental floss method is anal retentive beyond most reckoning.

DMT

AlexCV

Aug 22, 2008, 5:45 PM
Post #12 of 26 (7298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skinner wrote:
MEC sells the Beal marker for 6$. Packaging claims to have been at least approved by most major manufacturer. Worked well enough on my Lanex and Maxim ropes.

jt512

Aug 22, 2008, 5:57 PM
Post #13 of 26 (7289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brownie710 wrote:

Gratefully,
josh

UIAA Response:

Did you ask them about using used dental floss? It would be more environmentally friendly, but would acids and other contaminants in the mouth damage the rope?

Jay

justroberto

Aug 22, 2008, 6:36 PM
Post #14 of 26 (7242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Personally I think the whole dental floss method is anal retentive beyond most reckoning.

DMT

Really? It takes maybe 10 minutes to do. I've also got a darker rope, so the whipping is easy to spot, and it's nice to just thread a rap station until you feel the center mark instead of having to watch out for it.

I think it's pretty fantastic, but to each his or her own.

dingus

Aug 22, 2008, 6:46 PM
Post #15 of 26 (7235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
dingus wrote:

DMT

Really? It takes maybe 10 minutes to do. I've also got a darker rope, so the whipping is easy to spot, and it's nice to just thread a rap station until you feel the center mark instead of having to watch out for it.

I think it's pretty fantastic, but to each his or her own.

Cool.

Cheers!
DMT

stymingersfink

Aug 22, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #16 of 26 (7223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skinner wrote:
brownie710 wrote:
...use a proper ink as specify by the manufacturer...

Being an old trad-daddy from way back, it was a pretty standard thing to whip the middle and both ends of our ropes. We found the dental floss shredded to easily and switched to Dacron fly fishing line backing. I know that some people used just a single 4" strand of floss fed through the sheath, then they'd split the ends and loop half of it through the sheath and knot the two halves back together (if that makes any sense) to keep the floss from sliding out. It seemed to work quite well, and lasted long enough that I don't remember anyone ever having to replace it. It did look rather odd as the strands continued to separate over time, but certainly caught your eye as it always appeared like a bad fray in the rope from a distance.
^^that's pretty much my method too.

I pull a 4" length of dental floss straight through the rope. I've found that tying a small knot in the middle of the floss helps to keep it inside the sheath.

I leave generally about a 8-10 sets of 2" tassels hanging out the rope along a four inch length of the middle. Its very distinctive, very easy to find, and raises a few eyebrows from time to time.

clc

Aug 22, 2008, 7:06 PM
Post #17 of 26 (7211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought a maxim rope by new england. its says on the label to use "Avery Marks- A-Lot or Binney-Smith majic marker"

should be safe then

brownie710

Aug 22, 2008, 7:24 PM
Post #18 of 26 (7190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maxim's Apogee 9.1mm Dynamic Climbing Line

I hope this wasn't the rope you bought!!!

altelis

Aug 22, 2008, 7:47 PM
Post #19 of 26 (7169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sty, how do you get the floss through the rope? Just a needle?

troutboy

Aug 22, 2008, 8:41 PM
Post #20 of 26 (7120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Sty, how do you get the floss through the rope? Just a needle?

Y'all are using the wrong material.

Fluorescent green or pink embroidery thread lasts a lot longer and is more visible ion low light. Use a blunt needle (any sewing shop has these supplies; of course you must actually go INTO the sewing shop). Can also feel it in the dark (if you find yourself in an epic).

TS

Partner angry

Aug 22, 2008, 8:47 PM
Post #21 of 26 (7107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
brownie710 wrote:

Gratefully,
josh

UIAA Response:

Did you ask them about using used dental floss? It would be more environmentally friendly, but would acids and other contaminants in the mouth damage the rope?

Jay

It bothers me that this point hasn't received more attention

onceahardman

Aug 22, 2008, 9:00 PM
Post #22 of 26 (7099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
jt512 wrote:
brownie710 wrote:

Gratefully,
josh

UIAA Response:

Jay

It's all about the plaque. You could even use them for DNA identification of your rope, if you suspect someone has stolen it

Arrogant_Bastard

Aug 22, 2008, 9:14 PM
Post #23 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
jt512 wrote:
brownie710 wrote:

Gratefully,
josh

UIAA Response:

Jay

I don't think most of them got it.

onceahardman

Aug 22, 2008, 9:23 PM
Post #24 of 26 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One other point. If it ever becomes necessary to unravel the core strands to do an extra-long rappel, the dental floss could provide enough extra length to keep you from dying a horrible death.

Arrogant_Bastard

Aug 22, 2008, 9:32 PM
Post #25 of 26 (7057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] UIAA response to my rope marking question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The use of floss on ropes has been known to incite Revolucions.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook