Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Raleigh NC to Lynchburg VA?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

MikeSaint

Aug 22, 2008, 2:26 PM
Post #1 of 3 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Raleigh NC to Lynchburg VA?  (North_America: United_States: Virginia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In the near future I will be making a trip up to Liberty University from Raleigh NC. In an effort to maximize fuel economy and time I am looking to spend an afternoon at a nearby crag.
After researching the Route Database it seems my closest options are Ravens Roost, Tunstalls Tooth and maybe a few others.

(I am aware of the climbing in West Virginia and northern Virginia but would prefer not to drive that far.)

Could anyone provide some more insight into these areas or maybe recommend anything else within close proximity of Lynchburg?

Thank you all so much

noell

Aug 22, 2008, 2:44 PM
Post #2 of 3 (3837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MikeSaint] Raleigh NC to Lynchburg VA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lynchburg is my home town. If you can't make the drive to the New and really need to climb right there in Lynchburg, I have been to the Trestles, which is pretty cool. I think if you google Lynchburg climbing club you can find info about the Trestles.

Also, if you just gotta get the fix and don't wanna drive, another option is the new indoor gym that says its gonna be opening up soon - check out www.riseupclimbing.com This gym is gonna be right downtown next to the YMCA. (which will make my trips home so awesome b/c my Dad works at the Y and I go work out there when I am home- now I can workout and train when I am visiting!!!).

justroberto

Aug 22, 2008, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 3 (3821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MikeSaint] Raleigh NC to Lynchburg VA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's rather unfortunate, but the closest good climbing to your path of travel is going to be Moores. If you've got a full day to climb your best bet is to suck it up and drive to Old Rag. If you want to get out and have a half day, you're kind of stuck with Raven's, Tunstall's, or the Trestles. If you head to the Trestles just outside of Lynchburg, be sure to contact the Lynchburg Climbing Club because there have been some access issues in the recent past.

There's allegedly some stuff at Flat Top and Sharp Top Mountains on the parkway, but I can't vouch for those.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook