Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Permits Required At Bubba City?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jkd159

May 27, 2008, 8:51 PM
Post #1 of 15 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Permits Required At Bubba City?  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: New_River_Gorge_Region: New_River___Tributaries: Bubba_City)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On Sunday (5/25/2008) we noticed some signs at the cemetery parking lot. They indicated that permits would be required for parking and climbing at Bubba City. I can't find any confirmation at newriverclimbing.net or anywhere else. Anyone have details?

Thanks!

Ladianne

Sep 9, 2008, 2:42 PM
Post #2 of 15 (7035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkd159] Permits Required At Bubba City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey jkd159 - anybody fill you in on the deets about parking at bubba??

jkd159

Sep 9, 2008, 2:56 PM
Post #3 of 15 (7023 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ladianne] Permits Required At Bubba City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, haven't heard anything. Maybe someone with information is reading this now and would care to respond?

jman

Sep 9, 2008, 3:35 PM
Post #4 of 15 (7006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkd159] Permits Required At Bubba City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Was down there this past Labor day. Word I got from Waterstone is the area is private property that is owned by the folks that own Class 6 and they are developing single family homes in the area. The rock is on Park Service property but the parking and access is through private property and the owners ask that folks get individual passes and a parking permit. We got ours from the Class 6 main office. Its quick and doesn't cost anything. Think it is just a waiver.

Partner j_ung

Sep 9, 2008, 3:52 PM
Post #5 of 15 (6994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jman] Permits Required At Bubba City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, stop in at the Class VI office on your way to Bubba. Should be fairly painless.

Parking for Beer Wall and nearby areas is the same as it always was, but it probably won't look the same, if you haven't been there for a while. There is ongoing construction. The Beer Wall trail breaks left from the road just after you pass Lot #6. For Ames, Headless and Head Walls, follow it all the way to the gas wells at the end of the road and look for a trail down and to the left.

Parking for Sandstonia is no longer the gas well. Park at the cemetery on the left about a half mile before the old parking. For the approach, walk the powerlines about a quarter mile until you get to where the old trail intersected them, then turn left. (Look for Rendezvous stickers on stakes in the ground.)

boo

Sep 12, 2008, 1:03 PM
Post #6 of 15 (6909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Permits Required At Bubba City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung,

I'm just curious. I know the crag's popularity has exploded since the guide and retro-bolting. And, I'm aware that the NRAC group has worked assertively to keep the access as unrestrained as possible.

is this working out? Are folks cooperating?

Again, just curious.

Ladianne

Sep 16, 2008, 9:36 PM
Post #7 of 15 (6852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jman] Permits Required At Bubba City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for info. sounds like a climber or group of climbers outta buy lot 6.....! :)

Partner j_ung

Sep 16, 2008, 9:46 PM
Post #8 of 15 (6849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boo] Permits Required At Bubba City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boo wrote:
j_ung,

I'm just curious. I know the crag's popularity has exploded since the guide and retro-bolting. And, I'm aware that the NRAC group has worked assertively to keep the access as unrestrained as possible.

is this working out? Are folks cooperating?

Again, just curious.

So far, so good, boo. The only weirdness is that the place is in a constant state of flux. I was out there for the first time this year a couple weeks ago and -- swear to god -- I couldn't find Beer Wall! It was that different. In the end, I and my partners bushwhacked to the cliff, rapped in and found the trail from the bottom. Blush

I have a lot of free time coming to me next week. Maybe I'll go ahead and start an ongoing Bubba City access thread. Might even try to add a map or something. We'll see.

Till then, the parking info above is accurate. Approaches are still there, just hidden a bit.

Partner j_ung

Sep 16, 2008, 9:48 PM
Post #9 of 15 (6846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ladianne wrote:
thanks for info. sounds like a climber or group of climbers outta buy lot 6.....! :)

Heh. Probably not necessary, thankfully. The developers are working on getting the parking lot ready for us and they have promised to keep access open. Obviously, we want to be as respectful as possible, though. Let's not screw with a good thing.

Ladianne

Sep 16, 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #10 of 15 (6829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep indeed - a modicum of consideration exercised by all who climb there definitely sounds like the order of the day!

will call u when @ new. will be @ junkyard fri. afternoon.

Partner j_ung

Sep 17, 2008, 1:43 PM
Post #11 of 15 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, sweet. I might join you if I can slip out of work early enough.

Ladianne

Sep 17, 2008, 1:46 PM
Post #12 of 15 (6778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet indeed!! Hope to c u there!

lena_chita

Sep 17, 2008, 2:18 PM
Post #13 of 15 (6766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
So far, so good, boo. The only weirdness is that the place is in a constant state of flux. I was out there for the first time this year a couple weeks ago and -- swear to god -- I couldn't find Beer Wall! It was that different. In the end, I and my partners bushwhacked to the cliff, rapped in and found the trail from the bottom. Blush

You just made me feel better Wink. I was there with some friends back in June, and got lost trying to find Beer Wall. Found it eventually after a lot of bushwhacking. I felt the stupidest of stupid, b/c it certainly wasn't the first time I took someone to Beer wall, and esp. b/c I was at the Beer Wall in May, and had no problems getting there.

And yeah, the permits are easy to get. We got ours at Waterstone back in May. But I think they are only good for a year, so the process has to be repeated...

sonso45

Sep 17, 2008, 5:43 PM
Post #14 of 15 (6746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Permits Required At Bubba City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Howdy all, I'm going to be there 10/9-13 and wonder if there is a new guide reflecting all the changes you mention. Also, is class 6 a climbing shop? Gracias.

Partner j_ung

Sep 17, 2008, 7:45 PM
Post #15 of 15 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Permits Required At Bubba City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm afraid there isn't a new guide. Things are changing so fast, we'd need a new guidebook every month, just about. I'm going to work next week on putting together an ongoing NRG access thread to keep people up to date on Bubba and anything else that comes along.

Class VI is a rafting company located up the road from the Bubba City parking. They're partnered somewhat with the developers who own the land we cross to get to the Bubba crags. If you forgot to score a Bubba permit and don't feel like driving back to Fayetteville to get one, you can stop in there, instead. They're on the left as you're headed to Bubba. You can't miss 'em. Likewise, if you have a rest day and want to go rafting (it's Gauley Season -- woo!) feel free to talk to them. They're a classy outfit.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook