RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

climbingaggie03

Sep 11, 2008, 5:14 PM
Post #1 of 13 (5683 views)
Shortcut

BD Sky lounge Manual
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anybody have or know where I can get the users guide for the bd sky lounge. I borrowed a sky lounge and it doesn't have a manual with it. It's super easy to set up and take down, but I have a couple of questions about it, like why does the stuff sac for the fly have a full strength (I think?) sling inside the sac? and is there a way to have it set up with the fly in the sac above the ledge master point ready to deploy if the weather gets bad.

budman

Sep 11, 2008, 6:19 PM
Post #2 of 13 (5662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] BD Sky lounge Manual [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's a Bibler fly like mine the attachment point for the ledge is inside the fly and the one on the outside is their special leak-proof attachment that goes to the anchor. The bag for the ledge should have draw strings at both ends, allowing you to push the sack up, rather than taking the ledge out of the bag to set it up. You could pull the inner attachment point out keeping the ledge attached to it but I always stuff mine in one of the haul bags to protect it from damage while hauling. A leaky fly is a pain when you want to stay dry.

climbingaggie03

Sep 11, 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #3 of 13 (5632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] BD Sky lounge Manual [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got the bd fly and the sack is closed on one end and open on the other. However, on the closed end, on the outside there is a small bight of webbing that runs through the sack and is about 8 inches long on the other side. I can't figure out what this is for. I thought maybe I could clip the sack to the point, the fly to the other end of the sling, and then the ledge to the other side of the fly, but it doesn't really stuff like that.

budman

Sep 11, 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #4 of 13 (5622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm at work and trying to remember how it's done. Usually use my A5. Believe the long sling in the stuff sack is girth hitched to the sealed loop of the fly and the ledge is clipped to the loop inside the fly. The small loop outside the stuff sack is what gets clipped to the anchor. At that point you just stuff the fly in the sack and pull it down and around the ledge when you need it. Nothing better than sleeping under the stars on a wall. Does the ledge have a floor or is it open. Having a floor more involved getting it set up but is for full on storm protection. When I get home will ck it out to see if I forgot anything or gave you bad beta. Where are you headed?

stymingersfink

Sep 12, 2008, 4:43 AM
Post #5 of 13 (5606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
I've got the bd fly and the sack is closed on one end and open on the other. However, on the closed end, on the outside there is a small bight of webbing that runs through the sack and is about 8 inches long on the other side. I can't figure out what this is for. I thought maybe I could clip the sack to the point, the fly to the other end of the sling, and then the ledge to the other side of the fly, but it doesn't really stuff like that.
Ok, here's the deal.

First, the fly is clipped to the anchor point. The sling you clip to the anchor point extends though to the inside the stuff sack, to which you clip your ledge PP. Now, deploy the fly, making sure that the abrasion-resistant side is against the rock side of the ledge. It's been a long time since I've deployed mine, but i seem to recall a couple of straps that then are joined under the bed surface to keep the fly secure.

Now.. I would only set up the ledge with the fly attached to the anchor if foul weather were imminent, otherwise leave the fly in the haul bag and clip your ledge directly to the anchor PP.

If I were worried about Wx, I'd set up the ledge with the fly in the anchor system, but I'd leave it stowed until they Wx got bad enough to require deploying the fly, because quite frankly, dealing with the fly sucks balls, as does sitting on a ledge with fly-induced claustrophobia, especially if it turns out you din't need to deploy the fly in the first place!

As far as storing the fly in its stuff sack goes, yes, you should pack it carefully such that the sling on the inside will be clippable without having to open the stuffsack and dealing with the fly itself.

They will be stowed separately when hauling, the fly and the ledge. With any luck, you'll never have to deploy the fly. Utilize a WP bivy bag for those rare evenings when it spits a bit, but not enough to wish you had the fly going. Bibler used to make one that had a tie-in point similar to the clip-in point on the fly you have.

If nothing else, the person you bought/borrowed the ledge/fly from should be able to show you how to properly deploy the thing first-hand, maybe in the back yard tree.

stymingersfink

Sep 12, 2008, 4:45 AM
Post #6 of 13 (5605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
Does anybody have or know where I can get the users guide for the bd sky lounge. I borrowed a sky lounge and it doesn't have a manual with it. It's super easy to set up and take down, but I have a couple of questions about it, like why does the stuff sac for the fly have a full strength (I think?) sling inside the sac? and is there a way to have it set up with the fly in the sac above the ledge master point ready to deploy if the weather gets bad.
Also... it is a single or double ledge?

they stow differently, I've seen some doubles get screwed up when someone tried to stow it as you might a single...

climbingaggie03

Sep 12, 2008, 5:32 AM
Post #7 of 13 (5600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] BD Sky lounge Manual [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying. It's a double ledge.

From what I understand, I want to stuff it into the sack with the top/outside part of the fly closest to the opening of the stuff sack. I have the inside clip in point of the fly attached to the sling in the stuff sack, I clip the power point of the ledge to the other end of the sling, which is outside the stuff sack, to the power point of the ledge.

Unfortunately it's borrowed from a climbing club and I don't think anyone knows more about it. I'm headed to the valley in october to get my feet wet with walls, we're planning on the south face of Wash column and then maybe the nose, lurking fear, WFLT or who knows what else.

edited to add: The ledge has a pack cloth floor, we are taking bivy's unfortunately they don't have the integrated tie ins like the bibler bivy's but they are bivy sacks, also we're taking exclusively synthetic insulation for sleeping bags and insulating layers.

I'm kinda thinking that for Washington column and even the nose that a small 2 person tent may be easier to deal with than a ledge with a fly cause it is cramped and clammy in the ledge with the fly on.

(This post was edited by climbingaggie03 on Sep 12, 2008, 5:37 AM)

stymingersfink

Sep 12, 2008, 5:43 AM
Post #8 of 13 (5594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
Ok, I think I understand what you are saying. It's a double ledge.

From what I understand, I want to stuff it into the sack with the top/outside part of the fly closest to the opening of the stuff sack. I have the inside clip in point of the fly attached to the sling in the stuff sack, I clip the power point of the ledge to the other end of the sling, which is outside the stuff sack, to the power point of the ledge.

Unfortunately it's borrowed from a climbing club and I don't think anyone knows more about it. I'm headed to the valley in october to get my feet wet with walls, we're planning on the south face of Wash column and then maybe the nose, lurking fear, WFLT or who knows what else.

edited to add: The ledge has a pack cloth floor, we are taking bivy's unfortunately they don't have the integrated tie ins like the bibler bivy's but they are bivy sacks, also we're taking exclusively synthetic insulation for sleeping bags and insulating layers.

I'm kinda thinking that for Washington column and even the nose that a small 2 person tent may be easier to deal with than a ledge with a fly cause it is cramped and clammy in the ledge with the fly on.
I'll have to get back to you on this tomorrow, but i will say that unless you have a tent designed for use with that specific ledge, you'd better forget about using a tent with a ledge.

climbingaggie03

Sep 12, 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #9 of 13 (5569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nah, not a tent with a ledge, although that would be pretty good, but I'm thinking that a two person tent would be more useful on dinner ledge, for example, than a portaledge with a fly would be.

budman

Sep 12, 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #10 of 13 (5548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretty much the beta I gave you is good. Stuff sack to anchor, fly to stuff sack and ledge to fly. My stuff sack, long loop inside the sack, is girth hitched to the sealed attachment point on the fly. Hope all goes well.

jungle_george

Sep 12, 2008, 3:23 PM
Post #11 of 13 (5530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any of you guys have beta on Dinner ledge? Is it slightly sloping or pretty flat?

stymingersfink

Sep 12, 2008, 3:30 PM
Post #12 of 13 (5527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] BD Sky lounge Manual [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

budman wrote:
Pretty much the beta I gave you is good. Stuff sack to anchor, fly to stuff sack and ledge to fly. My stuff sack, long loop inside the sack, is girth hitched to the sealed attachment point on the fly. Hope all goes well.
no argument there!

budman

Sep 12, 2008, 4:34 PM
Post #13 of 13 (5507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jungle_george] BD Sky lounge Manual [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I remember flat for about 3 people but you can fit more. Careful though, scene of an accident years ago since the ledge in the path of rocks coming from the gully above. Survive the first 3 pitches of hauling and your on your way.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook