Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 Next page Last page  View All

wonderwoman

Sep 10, 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #76 of 487 (26402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Best climbing shirt ideas... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
More Boobs, Less Bolts
Rc.com's new motto?

It's not officially the RC.com motto until it ends up as someone's sig.

blueeyedclimber

Sep 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #77 of 487 (26393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Best climbing shirt ideas... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
sungam wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
More Boobs, Less Bolts
Rc.com's new motto?

Done!

sungam

Sep 10, 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #78 of 487 (26388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Best climbing shirt ideas... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
sungam wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
More Boobs, Less Bolts
Rc.com's new motto?

Done!
Good choice, sir.

blueeyedclimber

Sep 10, 2008, 1:42 AM
Post #79 of 487 (26345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Best climbing shirt ideas... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

I am not sure I trust that anchor. I better make sure the bolts are on tight. Cool

(This post was edited by blueeyedclimber on Sep 10, 2008, 1:43 AM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 10, 2008, 2:09 AM
Post #80 of 487 (26331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"more boobs, less bolts" on the back, eh...?

well.....I'll do a variation with and without. Cost is higher for the second side printing, but that isn't a problem really. The price is still reasonable.

But my thinking was the design is a spin on nipple piercings, and I wasn't seeing just chicks. I was imagining a Mr. Clean genie man sort of guy....hahahah.

I agree that the horizontal hanger, which was how it was shown in the sample I am referencing here: http://www.climbinganchors.com.au/...-single-captive-ring would look less attractive. I guess I must never have seen just the ring/hanger in real life. When I recall the ones I have seen they usually have the chains or just the hanger, and I remember them as being set at the angle. Oh well....

Pink femme style is definitely available. Once I get it put up I will post the link.

Valarc

Sep 10, 2008, 2:36 AM
Post #81 of 487 (26326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experience, nipple piercings did not work well with climbing. Got them caught on a rope or a squeeze chimney one time too many and decided the lil bastards had to come out.

I miss them sometimes, but then I remember that I don't have to be careful removing my seatbelt anymore and it's not so bad.

wonderwoman

Sep 10, 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #82 of 487 (26276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
"more boobs, less bolts" on the back, eh...?

But my thinking was the design is a spin on nipple piercings, and I wasn't seeing just chicks. I was imagining a Mr. Clean genie man sort of guy....hahahah.

Cool! I could see that, too!

I was thinking in terms of more trad chicks on the rock than bolts on the rock. You know, a feminist call to action! Wink

When I get mine, I'm going to go out of my way to say 'Excuse me pal, but are you staring at my chest?' Laugh

Arrogant_Bastard

Sep 10, 2008, 4:30 PM
Post #83 of 487 (26248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I agree that the horizontal hanger, which was how it was shown in the sample I am referencing here: http://www.climbinganchors.com.au/...-single-captive-ring would look less attractive. I guess I must never have seen just the ring/hanger in real life. When I recall the ones I have seen they usually have the chains or just the hanger, and I remember them as being set at the angle. Oh well...

The horizontal doesn't look near as good. And you certainly have seen them at an angle. For starters, there are hangers out there in just about any orientation, either because whoever set them didn't know what they were doing or just from wear and movement.

However, and I admit to not being anywhere close to an expert on placing bolts, the ones on your T-shirt look pretty close to what I would think is correct. Far closer than horizontal certainly. The clipin point, i.e. where the draw is going to hang, should be directly below the bolt.

(This post was edited by Arrogant_Bastard on Sep 10, 2008, 4:30 PM)

climbingtrash

Sep 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #84 of 487 (26209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Best climbing shirt ideas... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
I agree that the horizontal hanger, which was how it was shown in the sample I am referencing here: http://www.climbinganchors.com.au/...-single-captive-ring would look less attractive. I guess I must never have seen just the ring/hanger in real life. When I recall the ones I have seen they usually have the chains or just the hanger, and I remember them as being set at the angle. Oh well...

The horizontal doesn't look near as good. And you certainly have seen them at an angle. For starters, there are hangers out there in just about any orientation, either because whoever set them didn't know what they were doing or just from wear and movement.

However, and I admit to not being anywhere close to an expert on placing bolts, the ones on your T-shirt look pretty close to what I would think is correct. Far closer than horizontal certainly. The clipin point, i.e. where the draw is going to hang, should be directly below the bolt.

The proper way for those anchors to sit is like this...http://www.fixeusa.com/ring_anchors.htm.
But I don't think it will matter much on yur shirts. Cool

Arrogant_Bastard

Sep 10, 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #85 of 487 (26195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] Best climbing shirt ideas... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

The proper way for those anchors to sit is like this...http://www.fixeusa.com/ring_anchors.htm.

Interesting. Why do the hangers with the rings go horizontal but without the rings at an angle? Maximize wear of the hanger I guess??

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 11, 2008, 1:02 AM
Post #86 of 487 (26177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:

Yeah, that was the way they were shown when I snagged the reference pic.... I figured out a solution though... I'm going to make the ones on my shirts be buttonheads(more nipple-esque....) and if anyone says th hanger is wrong I'll just say...."they're spinners"

It is going to be a bit before I get this design up. I could go with plain b/w line art but I want to try to make the illustration have gradations of grey color and shadow/highlights. This will be a stretch for my elementary Adobe Illustrator skills....we'll see what happens.

climbingtrash

Sep 11, 2008, 4:29 AM
Post #87 of 487 (26155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

Interesting. Why do the hangers with the rings go horizontal but without the rings at an angle? Maximize wear of the hanger I guess??

It just has to do with the cut of the hanger and single ring verses a double ring like this...

If this only had one ring the rope would be running between the ring and the rock.

climbingtrash

Sep 11, 2008, 4:32 AM
Post #88 of 487 (26153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
...This will be a stretch for my elementary Adobe Illustrator skills....we'll see what happens.

Are you using Illustrator? I didn't think cafepress would accept vector images.

wildthing14

Sep 11, 2008, 4:50 AM
Post #89 of 487 (26151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are some serious ideas here Wink

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 11, 2008, 2:20 PM
Post #90 of 487 (26128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
...This will be a stretch for my elementary Adobe Illustrator skills....we'll see what happens.

Are you using Illustrator? I didn't think cafepress would accept vector images.

Once the work is complete in Illustrator, one "Saves for the Web" which opens up the image in another window, with options to save as GIF, JPEG, PNG, etc., and a tool to detail the image size.

Select PNG-24. and make sure the 'transparency' box is checked(the transparency allows the image to be printed on the dark colored shirts).

For the size, go to the area marked "image size" and change it to be a set of numbers that will make the image size to be equal to or greater than 2000 X 2000 pixels. Must be at least 2000 X 2000 to get optimal print quality. You can do larger, especially for the ...I forget what they call the women's BIG size shirts... but for most products it makes no visible improvement to go larger.

As not all designs are square, you need to adjust the height width accordingly. If the width is 2500 and the height is 1500, you can see it is going to "same as" 2000 X 2000.

I do all my work in Illustrator. Even photo images(which I have very few of) I will do what is to be done in Photoshop and then move it to Illustrator for text and other work. I'm poorly skilled in Photoshop, to start, and even though I was taught Illustrator back in the early '90's and still using version 10, all my stuff comes out exactly as I envision it.

When I started, I really just could not understand the CafePress "way" with those templates.... I have never used them. I draw in Illustrator using "actual" measurements, and then do the size adjust as I described above to get the right number of pixels. Works perfectly.

The one thing to know is that, for the dark shirts, you need to keep something in mind. Because they first lay a layer of white on those shirts, IF your image has 'cutout' area where you would want the shirt color to show through, you need to set the file to "Show Transparency Grid" (under the "View" column). If you do not, then the cut away areas will be printed as white instead of being cut away in the print process to show your shirt color through.

....I always tell people CafePress is easy, and it IS. Once you get used to it.....It is murder in the very beginning for most people. The good news is that their forum people are incredibly patient and helpful. Even though they get asked the same questions over and over and over - MANY more times than a shoe thread - they answer as if it's the first time anyone's ever asked. You'd never see "Do a Search" or STFU, N00b" over there.....

Feller

Sep 16, 2008, 8:22 PM
Post #91 of 487 (25985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...instead of sizing to massive amounts of pixels, why not just up the DPI to 300? that's default for AI and easily importable to PS.

and if you know your dimensions to start out with, then just make a document of those exact sizes (in either PS or AI), set DPI to 300 (for print) and CMYK. then export as a PNG instead of "save for web" which will compress your document.

then again, I've never used cafePress...just speaking from print experience. they may have a different system over there and they just might want 2k+ pixel documents...but my guess is a higher DPI will do the trick.

Arrogant_Bastard

Sep 16, 2008, 8:44 PM
Post #92 of 487 (25975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
The good news is that their forum people are incredibly patient and helpful. Even though they get asked the same questions over and over and over - MANY more times than a shoe thread - they answer as if it's the first time anyone's ever asked. You'd never see "Do a Search" or STFU, N00b" over there.....

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. I best go see what's happening in those forums over there.

sungam

Sep 16, 2008, 9:32 PM
Post #93 of 487 (25946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
The good news is that their forum people are incredibly patient and helpful. Even though they get asked the same questions over and over and over - MANY more times than a shoe thread - they answer as if it's the first time anyone's ever asked. You'd never see "Do a Search" or STFU, N00b" over there.....

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. I best go see what's happening in those forums over there.
Right behind you.

Arrogant_Bastard

Sep 16, 2008, 9:37 PM
Post #94 of 487 (25943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

Right behind you.

*duct tapes butt cheekz together*

(just to be sure)

sungam

Sep 16, 2008, 9:41 PM
Post #95 of 487 (25938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

Right behind you.
"YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE TRUE ESSENCE OF T-SHIRT MAKING!!!

sungam

Sep 16, 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #96 of 487 (25915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
sungam wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

Right behind you.

*duct tapes butt cheekz together*

(just to be sure)
:P (read sig)

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 16, 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #97 of 487 (25991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Feller] Best climbing shirt ideas... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Feller wrote:
...instead of sizing to massive amounts of pixels, why not just up the DPI to 300? that's default for AI and easily importable to PS.

and if you know your dimensions to start out with, then just make a document of those exact sizes (in either PS or AI), set DPI to 300 (for print) and CMYK. then export as a PNG instead of "save for web" which will compress your document.

then again, I've never used cafePress...just speaking from print experience. they may have a different system over there and they just might want 2k+ pixel documents...but my guess is a higher DPI will do the trick.

You may be right on the latest version; I just tested my version (AI 10) and it doesn't have PNG as an option on export.

I DO make my designs in AI as exact size, but when I do the "save for web," the dimensions are smaller than a 2K x 2K. I do recall their explanation that this size WILL produce the correct DPI for their print process. So...that's what I do.

You mention an item that should be noted for people using cafepress. That is that images need to be in RGB and not CMYK. Don't ask me what the deal is - I assumed it was something to do with the uploading process. The other thing is - my version offers PNG - 8 and PNG - 24. Must use the PNG - 24.

Feller

Sep 17, 2008, 2:16 AM
Post #98 of 487 (25963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why in the world would they print with RGB? either their total noobs or they have some sort of "automated" process...GG technology.

either way...build in AI export as PSD (keep layers writable) save as PNG -24 (if your AI doesn't have the option) but saving for web will hurt your compression. then again...I don't really care about how yall get your t-shirts so I guess it doesn't really matter :D

I shop at express for men. oh yea and buy them 90$ prana pants. oh wait...wrong thread, thought we were still talking yuppies for a minute.

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 17, 2008, 2:28 AM
Post #99 of 487 (25959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not 100% clear but I think the actual print does go through a conversion to CMYK and the RGB enables them to show the designs through the website - honestly...I am not sure. It is all written within their website, and I did go through it all when I started. But it's info I didn't need to retain so - didn't. Too lazy to go look it up and advise right now.

CafePress does a pretty good job in printing. They have limitations that sometimes irritate shopkeepers. Like that the color white cannot be printed on light color shirts(if you have white in your design it will not be printed and the shirt will show through). Also the design can only be printed centered or as a smaller print on left upper corner. If you want the design lower than what it would default to, you have to incorporate invisible dots or something(which won't print) in the artwork to force it lower in placement.

It's a print-on-demand deal and not actual screenprinting. I am not sure how it all works technically, but I have been very satisfied with the quality of the work. Of course, my designs are not really complicated and neither are the majority of cafepress things. But I am fairly certain that a person with good graphuc arts skills could produce quality sophisticated designs(with fading and overlapping colors and elements, for instance)

climbingtrash

Sep 17, 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #100 of 487 (25930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Feller wrote:
I don't really care about how yall get your t-shirts so I guess it doesn't really matter :D

This is Korect.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook