Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 19, 2008, 5:12 AM
Post #1 of 32 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community...
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Brunswick school board to consider creationism teaching

By Ana Ribeiro
Staff Writer

Published: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 10:40 p.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 10:40 p.m.

Bolivia | The Brunswick County school board is looking for a way for creationism to be taught in the classroom side by side with evolution.

"It's really a disgrace for the state school board to impose evolution on our students without teaching creationism," county school board member Jimmy Hobbs said at Tuesday's meeting. "The law says we can't have Bibles in schools, but we can have evolution, of the atheists."

When asked by a reporter, his fellow board members all said they were in favor of creationism being taught in the classroom.

The topic came up after county resident Joel Fanti told the board he thought it was unfair for evolution to be taught as fact, saying it should be taught as a theory because there's no tangible proof it's true.

"I wasn't here 2 million years ago," Fanti said. "If evolution is so slow, why don't we see anything evolving now?"

The board allowed Fanti to speak longer than he was allowed, and at the end of his speech he volunteered to teach creationism and received applause from the audience. When he walked away, school board Chairwoman Shirley Babson took the podium and said another state had tried to teach evolution and creationism together and failed, and that the school system must teach by the law.

. . .
http://www.starnewsonline.com/...creationism_teaching

Let me quote this guy again:
"I wasn't here 2 million years ago," Fanti said. "If evolution is so slow, why don't we see anything evolving now?"

Or:
"The law says we can't have Bibles in schools, but we can have evolution, of the atheists."

Note that they seem to be unaware that most Christians believe in Evolution.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 19, 2008, 5:14 AM)

kyote321

Sep 19, 2008, 6:04 AM
Post #2 of 32 (1059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you are correct, most christians do secretly believe in evolution, but are too afraid to admit it.

the bible has been around two thousand years and it has evolved: christ's teachings on love and compassion really mean you invade a country for their oil and kill at will.

shockabuku

Sep 19, 2008, 6:17 AM
Post #3 of 32 (1053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyote321] Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kyote321 wrote:
the bible has been around two thousand years and it has evolved: christ's teachings on love and compassion really mean you invade a country for their oil and kill at will.

Oh wow, that's good news. Now I don't have to worry about whether the current wars have ulterior motives or not.

Of course, if I didn't believe in the Bible I wouldn't have to worry about it at all.

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 19, 2008, 6:55 AM
Post #4 of 32 (1042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted the following in a comment to that report:
I wrote:
It was stated that: "...but we can have evolution, of the atheists." This shows how skewed and misguided this issue is in the minds of many, as evolution is accepted by the majority of Christians worldwide. Thus, those who believe in Creationism are a fringe minority.

There are mountains of evidence in support of Evolution, from many different sciences (e.g., Biology, Geology, Medicine, Archaeology, Chemistry, etc), and all support Evolution in various independant ways. There is ZERO evidence to support Creationism... Even the study of most Theology disagrees with the narrow views of Christian Fundamentalism. (e.g., Young Earth, Creationism, Noah's Flood, et al)

The Evidence, and it's conclusions, is what should be taught in a Science class. I'm sure Evolution is NOT taught in Sunday Schools, so asking for equal representation is hypocritical.

Also, it should be noted that the person who's hypothesis of a 'primeval atom' that became the Big Bang Theory was an Astrophysicist who was also a Catholic Priest: Monsignor Georges Lemaître. Again, the majority of Christians also believe in the Big Bang.

It should NOT be allowed that a fringe minority be allowed to teach their views to our next generation of thinkers... In fact, it needs to be fought against, else we will be moving backwards in our understanding of the world around us, and relying again on superstition and supernatural explanations. I am confident that they would NOT want the Theological views of a competing religion taught to their children, yet they want to teach their views to ours.

Unfortunatley, when someone believes something with all one's heart, nothing can change their minds, as it is at the expense of all one's head.

lagr01

Sep 19, 2008, 7:21 AM
Post #5 of 32 (1031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:

That's just precious.

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 19, 2008, 7:22 AM
Post #6 of 32 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the Brunswick County School Board:
http://www.co.brunswick.k12.nc.us/...de921e8a78a79ed8b6df

Emails for the board members:
"Shirley Babson" <sbabson@bcswan.net>,"Charles Miller" <cmiller@bcswan.net>,"Ray Gilbert" <raygilbertnc@yahoo.com>,"Scott Milligan" <smilligan@bcswan.net>,"Jimmy Hobbs" <jimmy@hobbsrealty.com>

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 19, 2008, 8:25 AM)

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 19, 2008, 7:23 AM
Post #7 of 32 (1028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lagr01] Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lagr01 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

That's just precious.
Great critical thinking, huh?

And this guy has volunteered to teach Creationism. In a Science class!!!

shockabuku

Sep 19, 2008, 7:54 AM
Post #8 of 32 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can to the point of allowing creationism or intelligent design to be taught in school, how do you do it? Evolution is a biological conept with facts associated with it. I don't understand how creationism could possibly be taught in a biology class. WTF?

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 19, 2008, 7:54 AM
Post #9 of 32 (1006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hoping to get these guys involved:

http://www.venganza.org/

Especially given the success they had in Polk County, Florida with a similar issue:
wiki wrote:
In December 2007, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster was credited with being at the forefront of successful efforts in Polk County, Florida to persuade Polk County School Board to withdraw from a potential challenge to new science standards mentioning evolution. The issue was raised after five of the seven board members declared a personal belief in the concept of intelligent design. Opponents describing themselves as Pastafarians sent e-mails to Polk school board members, demanding equal time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. Board member Margaret Lofton, who supported intelligent design, dismissed the e-mail as ridiculous and insulting, and said "They've made us the laughing stock of the world". As the controversy developed, scientists expressed their opposition to the claims of intelligent design. Hopes for a new applied science-focused campus of the University of South Florida in northeast Lakeland were reportedly in question, but University vice president Marshall Goodman expressed surprise and said of intelligent design that "It's not science. You can't even call it pseudo-science." Lofton then stated that she had no interest in engaging with the Pastafarians or anyone else seeking to discredit intelligent design. While unhappy with the outcome, Lofton chose not to resign over the issue. She and the other board members expressed a desire to return to the day-to-day work of running the school district.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...lk_County.2C_Florida

From the newspapers in Florida:
http://www2.tbo.com/...d-in-evolution-flap/

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 19, 2008, 7:57 AM)

lena_chita

Sep 19, 2008, 8:24 AM
Post #10 of 32 (989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
lagr01 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

That's just precious.

Mad WOW!!!!

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Sep 19, 2008, 8:49 AM
Post #11 of 32 (978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
In reply to:
Brunswick school board to consider creationism teaching

By Ana Ribeiro
Staff Writer

Published: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 10:40 p.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 10:40 p.m.

Bolivia | The Brunswick County school board is looking for a way for creationism to be taught in the classroom side by side with evolution.

"It's really a disgrace for the state school board to impose evolution on our students without teaching creationism," county school board member Jimmy Hobbs said at Tuesday's meeting. "The law says we can't have Bibles in schools, but we can have evolution, of the atheists."

When asked by a reporter, his fellow board members all said they were in favor of creationism being taught in the classroom.

The topic came up after county resident Joel Fanti told the board he thought it was unfair for evolution to be taught as fact, saying it should be taught as a theory because there's no tangible proof it's true.

The board allowed Fanti to speak longer than he was allowed, and at the end of his speech he volunteered to teach creationism and received applause from the audience. When he walked away, school board Chairwoman Shirley Babson took the podium and said another state had tried to teach evolution and creationism together and failed, and that the school system must teach by the law.

. . .
http://www.starnewsonline.com/...creationism_teaching

Let me quote this guy again:

Or:
"The law says we can't have Bibles in schools, but we can have evolution, of the atheists."

Note that they seem to be unaware that most Christians believe in Evolution.

[image]http://www.advancedphysics.org/forum/images/smilies/wall.gif[/image]

Adam, you were obviously uprooted from the People's Republic of California and sent to this neck of the woods in order to hold down the fort for all of rational thought. Go forth, young man.

Hang on... that kind of makes it sound like divine intervention... awww hell.

Crazy

slablizard

Sep 19, 2008, 9:38 AM
Post #12 of 32 (963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:

Bolivia?

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 19, 2008, 9:39 AM
Post #13 of 32 (962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blonde_loves_bolts] Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a reminder... I was a guest judge earlier this year at the Science Fairs for both the Elementary and Middle Schools, at the Local and County levels here in Brunswick County, NC.

And the kids impressed me.

camhead

Sep 19, 2008, 9:54 AM
Post #14 of 32 (954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Bolivia?

I guess that they are sinking into bolivian.

lagr01

Sep 19, 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #15 of 32 (931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blonde_loves_bolts] Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blonde_loves_bolts wrote:
Adam, you were obviously uprooted from the People's Republic of California and sent to this neck of the woods in order to hold down the fort for all of rational thought. Go forth, young man.

Hang on... that kind of makes it sound like divine intervention... awww hell.

Crazy

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 19, 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #16 of 32 (928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The guys at the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster are helping quite a bit:
http://www.venganza.org/...php?f=33&t=11017

You should check that thread, as it has some VERY good (and funny) letters to the board members.

They certainly word things much better than I do, and at the same time, ridicule them better as well.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 19, 2008, 11:04 AM)

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 19, 2008, 1:47 PM
Post #17 of 32 (903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea! It seems that one of the School Board members has forwarded my email, written from my work addy with professional signature including my phone numbers, to a fanatic, and now I'm getting calls on my cell from him. Angelic

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 19, 2008, 1:49 PM)

sungam

Sep 19, 2008, 2:41 PM
Post #18 of 32 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
Yea! It seems that one of the School Board members has forwarded my email, written from my work addy with professional signature including my phone numbers, to a fanatic, and now I'm getting calls on my cell from him. Angelic[/quote
I dunno if I misread something while I scanned this thread, but if this is serious it is fucking hilarious.

sungam

Sep 19, 2008, 2:42 PM
Post #19 of 32 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
That pretty much sums up the whole experiance.

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Sep 19, 2008, 3:28 PM
Post #20 of 32 (882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude has got some problems. Definitely not fit to be a teacher of any sort.

I cant even fathom the idea he was attempting to convey with those quotes. Just cant seem to wrap my mind around it. Unimpressed

blondgecko

Sep 19, 2008, 3:31 PM
Post #21 of 32 (877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
lagr01 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

That's just precious.

Have you submitted that quote to fstdt.com yet?

kriso9tails

Sep 19, 2008, 3:45 PM
Post #22 of 32 (874 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I think you should entertain one of these creationists, purely for science though.

My proposed experiment: you hold a gun three feet from the head of this Jimmy Hobbs. He prays, "Dear God, if you want creationism taught alongside evolution in the bio classroom, please answer 'yes' by sparing the brains that are allegedly in my skull from the oncoming bullet. If the answer is 'no' then please give me the strength to face my impending doom. If the answer is 'maybe'... wait, what kind of fucking answer is 'maybe'? Are you God or not? Don't be a prick... uh, amen"

Pull the trigger and one way or the other, problem solved.

sungam

Sep 19, 2008, 4:18 PM
Post #23 of 32 (866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
Well, I think you should entertain one of these creationists, purely for science though.

My proposed experiment: you hold a gun three feet from the head of this Jimmy Hobbs. He prays, "Dear God, if you want creationism taught alongside evolution in the bio classroom, please answer 'yes' by sparing the brains that are allegedly in my skull from the oncoming bullet. If the answer is 'no' then please give me the strength to face my impending doom. If the answer is 'maybe'... wait, what kind of fucking answer is 'maybe'? Are you God or not? Don't be a prick... uh, amen"

Pull the trigger and one way or the other, problem solved.
Hey dude, I dunno if even creationists are stupid enough to think that god would change the laws of physics.
Though I guess it would be kinda like putting it out of it's misery...

sungam

Sep 19, 2008, 4:18 PM
Post #24 of 32 (864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
lagr01 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

That's just precious.

Have you submitted that quote to fstdt.com yet?[/quote
That site rocks. just read a couple of pages. HAR.

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 19, 2008, 4:28 PM
Post #25 of 32 (862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Looks like I'm going to be busy in my community... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
lagr01 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

That's just precious.

Have you submitted that quote to fstdt.com yet?
Newsflash!!!

I just found out that this is the guy, Joel Fanti, who called me. It seems that a board member forwarded my email to them to him, since he was the 'guest speaker' they applauded, and who offered to teach Creationism in Science class.

After his dismissing all evidence that shows the Earth is more than 20K years old (that's what he believes), "evolution is just a theory" etc, I had to just say "good day sir" and hang up.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 19, 2008, 4:30 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook