Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New to the island
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stpierm1

Aug 11, 2008, 8:24 AM
Post #1 of 8 (5293 views)
Shortcut

New to the island  (North_America: United_States: Hawaii: Oahu)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all,

Just wanted to check in. I just moved to the island a few days ago. Hopefully my gear will get here in a few days. Hopefully I will be able to get out there sooner than later (I have to go back to the mainland in 2 weeks for 2 months). Hope to talk to you all about the climbing around here and to see a few of you out there climbing.

MWS.

USnavy

Aug 15, 2008, 7:08 AM
Post #2 of 8 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

stpierm1

Aug 22, 2008, 8:56 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] New to the island [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

Thanks for the response and I apologize for my delayed response back, I have been super busy trying to get settled in here. Honestly, I have no clue about grades. I started climbing when I was in Vermont and didn't do it much there. When I got to Louisiana a buddy of mine and I would climb about every day and in an indoor gym. We would learn as much as we can and train it on the wall (sport climbing, perfecting moves, bolting, etc.) but honestly all of my climbing has been indoors. I have a full array of equipment but I have never taken it out and that is definitely my hopes here. I have to go back to the mainland for 2 months on Monday but as soon as I get back I will be looking to do some climbing as I haven't climbed for about 2 months already here and 2 more months, its gonna be a sharp learning curve getting back into it. I don't know how its gonna look having an army guy climbing with someone from the navy but I think I can make an exception hahaha. I will throw up a post when I get back and hopefully we can do some climbing. Thanks.

Matt.

cilohabmilc

Aug 23, 2008, 3:50 AM
Post #4 of 8 (5177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stpierm1] New to the island [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any one know of any climbing within 30miles of Kona? I'm going there on my honeymoon in a few months and wondering if i should pack any gear.
Mark

anykineclimb

Aug 23, 2008, 3:56 AM
Post #5 of 8 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stpierm1] New to the island [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL
love the interservice Jab!

Once you get settled, Oahu's got some great climbing. If you're at Schofield, you've got bouldering about 20 min away at Helemano.
With the TR setup at Mokuleia, its pretty much a big outdoor gym. lots of variety of climbs too so don't get beat up on the hard stuff. yet. :P

I usually travel home about once a year, so we might have to rope up next time I'm in town.

tpidich

Sep 22, 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #6 of 8 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, read your reply and was hoping you knew someone you could hook me up with. I live in Kailua, and only been out about 4 times (at the light house, and north shore). The person who got me interested moved off island but I really want to go more often and need a partner.

I have my own harness and shoes, but thats about it. I would want to get more into it, but i need a partner :-(.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Tracey

USnavy

Sep 22, 2008, 6:40 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4985 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

mmdonovan

Oct 4, 2008, 8:25 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also gonna be on Oahu until December and am trying to climb as much as humanly possible with my time. No transportation though.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook