Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Thailand: which guidebook?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

randomboulder

Nov 7, 2007, 4:18 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5669 views)
Shortcut

Thailand: which guidebook?  (Asia: Thailand: Southern_Provinces: Railay_West_Beach_and_Tonsai_Bay)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm headed to Railay/Tonsai in Thailand at the end of Dec/early Jan. what is your recommendation on the climbing guidebook?

The two that I've found online are the King Climbers guide and the one by Sam Lightner.

Thanks for you help.
Roger

Partner artm

Nov 7, 2007, 4:57 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [randomboulder] Thailand: which guidebook? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

randomboulder wrote:
I'm headed to Railay/Tonsai in Thailand at the end of Dec/early Jan. what is your recommendation on the climbing guidebook?

The two that I've found online are the King Climbers guide and the one by Sam Lightner.

Thanks for you help.
Roger
Quite honestly given a choice between the two Sam's guide is far superior plus all money made from the purchase of Sam's guide goes to the rebolting effort in Thailand.

Get Sam's guide!

randomboulder

Nov 7, 2007, 5:07 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [artm] Thailand: which guidebook? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the suggestion. besides the two that I listed, are there other guidebooks out there that you think might be a better choice?

I just found Wee's climbing guide with a 2007 fourth edition. Seems to be the most updated guide out there, anyone used this one?

(This post was edited by randomboulder on Nov 7, 2007, 5:16 PM)

caughtinside

Nov 7, 2007, 5:30 PM
Post #4 of 8 (5649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used Sam's guide too. It was pretty good, and was pretty accurate. It's kind of a weird situation there, with so many current guides to the same place!

it did have a few inaccuracies, but that is pretty normal, and pretty easy to figure out.

Honestly, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the guides, it's almost all single pitch sport climbing. BUt, Sams guide does pay for more titanium bolts over there, a worthy consideration, especialy when you see the rotting stainless steel still clinging to the limestone.

samroberts

Sep 23, 2008, 3:30 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Thailand: which guidebook? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sam's guide is the best guidebook, it has route recomendations and descriptions, lots of info about climbing in thailand and safety, decent photos.

But climbing there is heavily dependant on when the route was rebolted, and Sam's book is hopelessly out of date. I used Sam's book to learn about the area, and for general beta, and Wee's 2007 guide for info on rebolting. A lot of rebolting seems to have happened in 2006, so its important.

I didn't see the King guidebook, so I've no comment on how up-to-date it is.

rickeden

Sep 24, 2008, 1:14 AM
Post #6 of 8 (5386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [samroberts] Thailand: which guidebook? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sam's book is ok, some of the topo's are a bit unclear. I feel that Wee's guide is good enough to use and is more up to date than Sam's.
Shamick is rebolting every winter in Krabi and Phi Phi, so this is always ongoing and there are the odd new routes poping up.

chillipphi

Sep 24, 2008, 2:32 AM
Post #7 of 8 (5370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got both of those and each has it's good points and shortcomings. The Lightner guide is has great info on traveling to and climbing in Thailand. A little bit of everything, what to bring, where to go, medical suggestions, all that. Wee's is more up to date and some of the drawings are easier to understand, plus the maps are good. My suggestion is get both. The stories in the Lightner guide almost are worth the price of the book alone. You can always sell it to someone when you get there. Wee's guide isn't that expensive either. Have fun, feel free to PM me it you want suggestions on routes or whatever else, I was there this April.

sidepull

Feb 22, 2011, 2:35 PM
Post #8 of 8 (4635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chillipphi] Thailand: which guidebook? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm heading to Thailand next week and I was wondering if there is any updates to this discussion - which guidebook is currently the best?

Also, as mentioned above, it's been suggested to me that we should hire a guide. Is this necessary?

Thanks!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook