Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Storing your laptop while at Miguels
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

granite_grrl

Sep 24, 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #1 of 14 (11568 views)
Shortcut

Storing your laptop while at Miguels  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We're headed down there for two weeks and I'd like to bring my laptop if I could, but I'm not sure what to do with it when I'm out at the crags climbing.

I know tons of people have their laptops when they're down there. What do you do with it?

captainstatic

Sep 24, 2008, 3:32 PM
Post #2 of 14 (11552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Storing your laptop while at Miguels [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are lockers at Miguel's under the pavillion in the back. You might want to give them a call about details 606-663-1975.

trad_kid

Sep 24, 2008, 3:47 PM
Post #3 of 14 (11524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [captainstatic] Storing your laptop while at Miguels [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I generally leave it in my car hidden under something during the day, but I have left it in my tent by accident many times and have never had any problems at all. I have never heard of stuff getting stolen when left at Miguel's.

I have never seen locks on the lockers out back. Generally people who are staying for longer use them to store there cooking stuff and food.

captainstatic

Sep 24, 2008, 3:53 PM
Post #4 of 14 (11518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trad_kid] Storing your laptop while at Miguels [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You definitely DON'T want to leave anything of value in a car at the crag. Although break-ins are down from a few years ago they still do happen. Local criminals specifically target climbers vehicles because of the chance of scoring valuable climbing equipment, electronics, & cameras. I would agree I wouldn't worry as much about leaving something in a tent or car at Miguel's.

mcernie

Sep 24, 2008, 3:59 PM
Post #5 of 14 (11509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just got back from a trip there, and i would suggest leaving it in your tent at miguel's. a few friends did the same and there weren't any issues. as a bonus, you can also charge it in the basement, they have a lot of available outlets.

lena_chita

Sep 25, 2008, 1:31 PM
Post #6 of 14 (11446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People I know have been keeping laptops in their tents. I've never heard of anything stolen from the tents or from the picnic shelter area at Miguel's.

I think that is way safer than keeping it in the car that you drive to the crag. I've seen to many cars with broken windows at the Military Wall parking lot lately. Granted, those were overnighters, but still...

The alternative is, if you know that one of the cars will be staying in Miguel's parking lot all day (e.g. you are climbing with your friends, so even though you and DH drove to the Red in one car, and your 2 friends drove in their car, you can fit all 4 people in one car for the day of cragging), you could put your laptop there...

Finally, there is always an option of putting laptop in your pack that you carry with you...

P.S. When are you going to be at the Red? I haven't run into you yet this year :)

granite_grrl

Sep 25, 2008, 1:39 PM
Post #7 of 14 (11439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Storing your laptop while at Miguels [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, there was no way in hell I was going to leave the laptop in my car. I'm a little worried about keeping it in my tent. No, I've never had problems at Miguel's in the past, but the paranoid part of me wants to keep everything locked up.

The laptop is 3 years old (ie - not worth that much anymore). Maybe I'll get aroud to copying all those photos I've got stored on there because to me that's the most valuble part of the laptop right now.

Lena, we'll be there from Oct 4th till the 19th. You going down for any of those weekends? (for better or for worse Rocktoberfest is smak in the middle of our trip). We didn't get to chat enough last time we met.

lena_chita

Sep 25, 2008, 2:52 PM
Post #8 of 14 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be there October 18th-19th! Hopefully we'll see each other. I've never been to Roctoberfest, so I'll settle for hearing the stories of it. :)

For whatever it is worth, my husband is super-duper paranoid about locking things up. But even he was O.K. with keeping laptop in a tent.

joeforte

Sep 25, 2008, 3:07 PM
Post #9 of 14 (11362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Backing up all those pics to a CD or DVD is a good idea anyway. I lived outside for a few semesters, and went through 2 hardrives before I realized it was the hot-cold temp changes and humidity that was killing them. If you spend any time outside with your laptop, I'd recomend backing everything up often. The fear of getting it stolen is a good excuse anyway!

Another option is an external harddrive. They are so cheap right now. You can easily find a name brand 500 gigger for $99. Then you can store all the pics, music, and vids you can imagine. Oh, another plus is that everything runs MUCH faster off a second, or external HD.

Basta916

Sep 25, 2008, 4:33 PM
Post #10 of 14 (11313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I've seen to many cars with broken windows at the Military Wall parking lot lately. Granted, those were overnighters, but still...

Couple a weeks ago I've seen State Police at that parking lot, do you know if they did any good as break ins are concerned??????

kostik

Sep 25, 2008, 4:52 PM
Post #11 of 14 (11296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
For whatever it is worth, my husband is super-duper paranoid about locking things up. But even he was O.K. with keeping laptop in a tent.

Hey, don't tell anyone!!!

lena_chita

Sep 26, 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #12 of 14 (11265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] Storing your laptop while at Miguels [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kostik wrote:

Hey, don't tell anyone!!!

It's O.K. Nobody knows what you look like, or what your tent looks like.

lena_chita

Sep 26, 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #13 of 14 (11265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Basta916] Storing your laptop while at Miguels [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Basta916 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
I've seen to many cars with broken windows at the Military Wall parking lot lately. Granted, those were overnighters, but still...

Couple a weeks ago I've seen State Police at that parking lot, do you know if they did any good as break ins are concerned??????

I'm probably not the best source of information, but as far as I know, no, they didn't catch anyone, if that's what you mean. There were broken windows two weeks ago, that my friend saw, there were broken windows back in mid-August that i saw myself... I think there was another incident in-between those two.

kostik

Sep 26, 2008, 1:36 AM
Post #14 of 14 (11245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
It's O.K. Nobody knows what you look like, or what your tent looks like.

Camhead knows. He's gonna steal my laptop with all my collection of topless female climbers' pics, including a unique photosession of Lauren Lee at the Red Rocks. Not to mention exquisite MP3s with Kazakh Communist chant. I know he's after them.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook