Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Liquid chalk
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

johnsonp

Feb 12, 2007, 7:45 AM
Post #1 of 7 (3763 views)
Shortcut

Liquid chalk  (North_America: United_States: Minnesota: North_East: Palisade_Head)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have had mixed info as far as liquid chalk use in the no chalk zone. once it dries it leaves no residue but still unsure. any help would be great.

zeb

Oct 1, 2008, 1:39 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnsonp] Liquid chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a similar question. I have some brown(ish) chalk that matches the rock at PH pretty well. Is that against 'The Ethic' also?

Anybody know what the basis of the no chalk ethic was originally? I know this topic has been thoroughly belabored, but I think thats because the ethic doesn't make any sense without some underlying reasoning.

If the reason is that chalk is a visible blemish to some people, then I don't think that using a non-visible alternative would be a problem.

If the reason is environmental concern, that is very noble. However, unless you rode your pedal-bike from Duluth or the Twin Cities, then there are probably better ways for you to do something good for the environment.

flipnfall

Oct 1, 2008, 1:59 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,

I've done a TON of climbing on Palisades and Shovel point and it's only a few but very loud people who are bothered by the chalk. I've done almost 20 years of climbing in that area and I'm still confused as to how solid this "ethic" holds in that park. I did some research once (i.e. talking with a ranger or two) and I "think" (but don't quote me) I found that the issue dates back to one of the departments in the U of M that discovered a rare lichen that is considered bothered by chalk. In the interests of maintaining access, many people avoid chalk in order to keep the peace. The other thing I found is that you will also find some "old timer purist" climbers who simply consider the park to be their park and they confront anyone that looks like they have anything that resembles chalk.

I think your best bet is to talk with a Ranger about your issue. From what I understand, the ethic is simply a compromise to keep access to the park for climbers and if the Rangers don't have an issue with it, I wouldn't worry.

Don't go by heresay as much as the Rangers on this one. That way if someone yells at you (and they will) you can tell them your source of information.

Let me know how it goes because I'd like to know.

GT

kennoyce

Oct 1, 2008, 2:09 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know anything about the ethics of the area, but I once was given a bottle of liquid chalk, and it most certainly left a residue of chalk on my hands. I don't know if there is a different type than what I had, but the stuff I had was just regular powdered chalk mixed in with alcohol, so that when you sprayed the stuff on your hands, the alcohol would evaporate off quickly, and you would be left with just normal chalk. I would guess that the stuff you have works the same way, but like I said, it could be a different brand or something that works in some other way. I'd just leave it home if I were you to prevent any access issues in the future.

chossmonkey

Oct 1, 2008, 4:20 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just use plain white chalk and be discrete. Don't bathe in it like a fricking boulderer. If someone bothers you thank them for there opinion and pretend to care. As long as you aren't climbing in the Amphitheater on the easy routes you don't need chalk for, nobody will likely even notice.

The no chalk 'ethic' was the idea of a few very vocal climbers and there is no real reason to not use chalk. As the new generation moves in chalk is being accepted.

sungam

Oct 1, 2008, 4:47 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll just mention that I find liquid chalk does mark the rock a lot less (would effect the lichen less), though it may not last a long pitch, and would be very inconvenient for mutipitch routes.
So if it is just "keeping the peace" then yes, liquid chalk will not mark the rock or damage the lichen nearly as much, and should keep people happy.

GeneralZon

Oct 2, 2008, 9:14 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Liquid chalk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you seen this?

http://www.backcountry.com/...T0219&mv_pc=r126

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.55 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)