Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Good spot for toprope only?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

RUok0101

Oct 5, 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1119 views)
Shortcut

Good spot for toprope only?  (North_America: United_States: California: Lake_Tahoe: Emerald_Bay)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have long ago parted ways with my climbing partner who did most of the leading (and had all the trad gear). Are any of these walls/areas at Emerald bay good for a toprope only setup? I am going to be bringing some climbers with me up to this area soon, and want to know if this would be a good spot. We have a couple of ropes,the cordelette and associated beaners. I just want to make sure scrambling to set the toprope is not too sketchy and there are a decent number of places we can get up to and set ropes.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

erclimb

Oct 5, 2008, 5:05 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RUok0101] Good spot for toprope only? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you shouldn't be "bringing" anyone anywhere until you have personally checked out the area...and "sketchy" is a relative term...what might be a casual stroll for a well-intentioned rc.com user may totally freak you out

at least buy a guide book

scottb

Oct 5, 2008, 8:12 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

90 foot wall

jaablink

Oct 5, 2008, 9:46 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erclimb] Good spot for toprope only? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"and "sketchy" is a relative term...what might be a casual stroll for a well-intentioned rc.com user may totally freak you out"

Very well said...

RUok0101

Oct 5, 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] Good spot for toprope only? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the comments guys. I do in fact have a guide book, I just was looking for others opinions. I have also been to this area a lot, just not climbed, so I do know the general area. The others I am bringing are decent climbers, so its not like I am bringing my grandma with no clue of whats going on.

I didn't know I had to write a 2 page background on the whole story, so I apologize for that.

I agree sketchy is a relative term, but I also think there are commonly accepted "easy" top rope hookups. Something where you have to scramble down 20 ft of cliff and hang by one arm to connect the anchor would not fall into this category. That's all I was after.

I'll ask around my local gyms. I guess you still can't put a price on a face to face conversation.

scottb

Oct 5, 2008, 2:01 PM
Post #6 of 6 (987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RUok0101 wrote:
I didn't know I had to write a 2 page background on the whole story, so I apologize for that.

You don't. Those other guys are just being tools.
Yes, sketchy has a different meaning for everyone. No, you don't need to be familiar with an area before you bring people climbing there.
Go to the 90 foot wall. The approach and access to TR anchors are easy by almost* everyone's standards.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$49.46 (10% off)
$87.75 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)
$6.75 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook