Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Logistical questions about Shortoff Mountain
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

colatownkid

Oct 6, 2008, 5:31 AM
Post #1 of 3 (957 views)
Shortcut

Logistical questions about Shortoff Mountain  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Shortoff)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning my first trip to Shortoff this weekend and had a few questions.

Everything I've read indicates that Wolf Pit Road is decent until the last few tenths of a mile, at which point it gets insanely rough. I drive a Toyota Matrix--it's not exactly known for its ground clearance. (However, I can get around just fine at Rumbling Bald as long as I'm super careful.) My question then: Is it likely that I won't be able to drive the last small stretch of Wolf Pit Road? If that's the case, is it alright if I just park on the side of the road and walk the extra quarter mile? (I don't want to upset any land managers/private land owners.)

Also, a little google maps research indicates that there is a National Forest Road which runs parallel to Wolf Pit Road and stops at the base of Shortoff. Is this the logging road that the guide book indicates? Or is this road accessible by vehicle? If so, is it legal to drive on and a faster approach?

I've read about the seasonal spring near the descent gully at Shortoff. Is this spring a reliable water source or do I need to pack in all my water? (We're planning on camping Friday and Saturdy night.) If it's not reliable, are there other sources nearby? Is the climbing/camping close enough to the river that we could just filter water out of it directly?

Also, is there camping near the end of the trail/spring/descent gully? If so, where?

Thanks in advance for any help.

csproul

Oct 6, 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #2 of 3 (926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Logistical questions about Shortoff Mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

colatownkid wrote:

Everything I've read indicates that Wolf Pit Road is decent until the last few tenths of a mile, at which point it gets insanely rough. I drive a Toyota Matrix--it's not exactly known for its ground clearance. (However, I can get around just fine at Rumbling Bald as long as I'm super careful.) My question then: Is it likely that I won't be able to drive the last small stretch of Wolf Pit Road? If that's the case, is it alright if I just park on the side of the road and walk the extra quarter mile? (I don't want to upset any land managers/private land owners.)

Also, a little google maps research indicates that there is a National Forest Road which runs parallel to Wolf Pit Road and stops at the base of Shortoff. Is this the logging road that the guide book indicates? Or is this road accessible by vehicle? If so, is it legal to drive on and a faster approach?

I've read about the seasonal spring near the descent gully at Shortoff. Is this spring a reliable water source or do I need to pack in all my water? (We're planning on camping Friday and Saturdy night.) If it's not reliable, are there other sources nearby? Is the climbing/camping close enough to the river that we could just filter water out of it directly?

Also, is there camping near the end of the trail/spring/descent gully? If so, where?

Wolf Pit road is much improved and pretty much any car can make it to the end. The spring was flowing just fine this summer, last time I was there. There is also a (much harder to find) spring to near the parking area, down a gully on the north side. In my opinion, it is much nicer to camp in the parking area than to haul camping gear up to the top, but there are places to camp up near the spring if you really want to carry your stuff up.

colatownkid

Oct 6, 2008, 11:30 AM
Post #3 of 3 (919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Logistical questions about Shortoff Mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
colatownkid wrote:

Wolf Pit road is much improved and pretty much any car can make it to the end. The spring was flowing just fine this summer, last time I was there. There is also a (much harder to find) spring to near the parking area, down a gully on the north side. In my opinion, it is much nicer to camp in the parking area than to haul camping gear up to the top, but there are places to camp up near the spring if you really want to carry your stuff up.

thanks. i'll be getting there mid-afternoon, so hopefully we'll have a little while to poke around for that spring before deciding where we want to camp.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook