RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

ozclimber

May 9, 2001, 2:25 AM
Post #1 of 3 (3521 views)
Shortcut

answer me
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

G\'day Chris, it would all depend on what type of anchors are avalible and how good they are. Are you setting up off natural gear or fixed pro. Let me know and i\'ll get back to you with some possible solutions.

Chris Michalowski wrote:
>hey i\'m going to climb this weekend and i was wondering whats the best way to set up a top rope where i\'m going to be belaying from the top. thanks

Partner jhundrup

May 9, 2001, 9:51 PM
Post #2 of 3 (3521 views)
Shortcut

answer me [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you ever set up a regular top rope before? Based on your post it sounds like you have not. (I am not being critical, everyone has to start somewhere). You don\'t run the rope through the anchors and then to the atc. When belaying from above you anchor yourself and the rope runs from the climber to you. Why are you setting up a top belay? Is the climb to long to set up a regular toprope? Depending on the terrain that you are climbing, setting up a a top belay is not always the best. Unless you can hang over the edge of the climb, then you will have the rope dragging over the edge of the climb. Be very careful that you don\'t have your rope on a sharp rock, or it could be cut by a fall. If you haven\'t taken a class or some lessons from someone on setting up belays, anchors, and equalizing your anchors, I would strongly suggest it.

Chris Michalowski wrote:
>hey thanks for anwering. I think we\'re using carribeners and webbing. we\'re setting the protection are self and from what i hear its supposed to be pretty solid. i was wondering whats the best way to run the rope trough the anchors and then through my ATC. thanks.
>

ozclimber

May 10, 2001, 9:45 AM
Post #3 of 3 (3521 views)
Shortcut

answer me [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

G\'day chris, I\'ve sent you some ideas direct so check your inbox. It might help. I agree with jared if you havent done much set up do a course somewhere or climb with someone who has.

Chris Michalowski wrote:
>hey thanks for anwering. I think we\'re using carribeners and webbing. we\'re setting the protection are self and from what i hear its supposed to be pretty solid. i was wondering whats the best way to run the rope trough the anchors and then through my ATC. thanks.
>
>nick Wigg wrote:
>>G\'day Chris, it would all depend on what type of anchors are avalible and how good they are. Are you setting up off natural gear or fixed pro. Let me know and i\'ll get back to you with some possible solutions. >
>>Chris Michalowski wrote:
>>>hey i\'m going to climb this weekend and i was wondering whats the best way to set up a top rope where i\'m going to be belaying from the top. thanks

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook