RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

richardvg03

Oct 13, 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1042 views)
Shortcut

finding motivation...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so... my climbing partner moved away and I had surgery and now it's had finding motivation to climb. I went out yesterday and I didn't even enjoy being on the rock... got any ideas on how to stay motivated? Does this happen to "all men"?? haha

donald949

Oct 13, 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] finding motivation... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I don't know about that...
Hope the surgery went well though.
I'm trying to get out someplace Friday or Thursday. Big Rock, Woodson, where ever.
What you doing???

dingus

Oct 13, 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Change your game. Perhaps explore some other aspect of climbing. Take whatever it was that 'didn't do it for you' last weekend and just set it aside. Go do something else for a time.

How about 'easy-ball' wilderness bouldering? Solo.

Or maybe some good old fashioned peak bagging? Got any lists to work on? Good to have an 'ever-present gargantuan' project in the hip pocket, so when all else fails you can go knock off one on your list, nawmean?

Mix it up. If the old don't work, do something new.

If you're a planner, head out impulsively. If you're impulsive by nature, try planning something for once. Tried of sport climbing? Go climb a wall. Or hike a peak.

Or go surfing. Maybe boulder on the beach sand, drink some mexican brews and watch the bettys.

Head out on a solo recon-trip somewhere.

Go climb some wild assed desert peak out in the Mojave.

Do a slot canyon. Do Buckskin Gulch, there ya go.

Or head on up to Alaska and go core. Work a crab boat for a bit and then head on up to the Big Mac by god.

There's a whole world-a shit out there just waitin for you... whaddaya waiting for???

DMT

richardvg03

Oct 13, 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] finding motivation... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:

Or head on up to Alaska and go core. Work a crab boat for a bit..
There's a whole world-a shit out there just waitin for you... whaddaya waiting for???

HAHAHA!!!!! Thanks!

clee03m

Oct 13, 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #5 of 15 (998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This sort of thing happened to me (and I am a woman!) last year. I had moved to a new area and after finishing a climbing road trip, I suddenly lost motivation to climb. I posted a similar post in the Ladie's Room, and I got a lot of encourgement. Apparantly this happens to a lot of climbers. And the passion comes back (as it did with a vengence for me). So have faith and have fun waiting it out doing things you otherwise didn't have time to do from climbing too much.

flipnfall

Oct 13, 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #6 of 15 (993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry about the loss of friend support and the surgery. I've had a few surgeries on my spine to correct damage to disks and it does take its toll on you mentally. Not to over simplify things, but just get out there and do it. It's amazing how being back in shape has a direct impact on your motivation. As I'm getting stronger, I'm longing to go climbing and burn up this excess energy I'm feeling. 6 months ago, I wasn't even close to feeling this way. I just make myself go every opportunity. I'm well on my way to staying a strong climber for my 40s (which are coming in just the next couple years) and hope to be climbing well into my 70s.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

GT

Partner angry

Oct 13, 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #7 of 15 (981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flipnfall] finding motivation... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've lost motivation once in 12 years. It was due to a particularly nasty relationship with a climber. The climbing was fine but it was so much easier to blame than all the real bullshit.

I do know what you mean though. I used to race bikes and one day 3 years ago I up and quit. Haven't raced since. Every once in a while I feel a twinge to get back in the peloton or do another tri, but the feeling fades fast. It's a part of me that isn't me anymore.

We're all different and we don't need to be the same. If climbing for you doesn't do it, don't force it. We've got this life and really don't know what happens afterwards, there's no reason to let spend your free time in anything but a wholly fulfilling activity.

Look deep and make a decision. In this game, decisions are never final either. You can quit as many times as you like (I'll probably race again).

stonefox

Oct 15, 2008, 5:46 PM
Post #8 of 15 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sucks, I feel like I am in that boat all of the time. I feel I lose motivation too. if I can't totally commit and spend all of my time climbing or if I don't have a consistent partner it's really hard to stay motivated. My advice is to push through it, get to the gym and make yourself train, find a partner there or scope RC. I have climbed all over the US with some really great people from this site.
Good Luck!

shockabuku

Oct 15, 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #9 of 15 (910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it the partner thing? I find it hard to find new partners that I'm satisfied with because for me it's a very close relationship and not just a casual thing (no wonder my wife is jealous). When I don't have a good partner, I don't climb much.

richardvg03

Oct 15, 2008, 7:56 PM
Post #10 of 15 (885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] finding motivation... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's def. the partner thing. My partner and I were very close and I loved climbing with him! Now I need to find a new one and I'm not brand new to climbing and I don't climb much above 5.8 because of my injuries so nobody really cares to climb with me. I don't want a noob as partners either...

knieveltech

Oct 15, 2008, 7:59 PM
Post #11 of 15 (880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
I think it's def. the partner thing. My partner and I were very close and I loved climbing with him! Now I need to find a new one and I'm not brand new to climbing and I don't climb much above 5.8 because of my injuries so nobody really cares to climb with me. I don't want a noob as partners either...

Sounds pretty familiar.

Maddhatter

Oct 15, 2008, 8:38 PM
Post #12 of 15 (867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are at or close to 29 Palms camp up in J-tree at the hidden vally camp ground. Walk around to different camp fires until you find a group you feel you fit in with. The noob climbing Marines we climbed with did 5.8 trad in there boots. I don't see how it would be hard to find a good partner out of the guys / girls at 29 Palms.

themattreid

Oct 16, 2008, 3:01 AM
Post #13 of 15 (843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] finding motivation... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Short story: my climbing partner died when I was 18. I took a long time off from climbing. I did other stuff: mountain bike racing, telemark skiing, motocross. Now, it's back to climbing.

It's not bad to have a lack of motivation from the walls, just have fun outdoors. That's the most important thing.

dingus

Oct 16, 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #14 of 15 (832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
I don't want a noob as partners either...

Why not? Shape the clay, make the partner.

DMT

Feller

Oct 16, 2008, 4:21 PM
Post #15 of 15 (815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] finding motivation... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Change your game. Perhaps explore some other aspect of climbing. Take whatever it was that 'didn't do it for you' last weekend and just set it aside. Go do something else for a time.

How about 'easy-ball' wilderness bouldering? Solo.

Or maybe some good old fashioned peak bagging? Got any lists to work on? Good to have an 'ever-present gargantuan' project in the hip pocket, so when all else fails you can go knock off one on your list, nawmean?

Mix it up. If the old don't work, do something new.

If you're a planner, head out impulsively. If you're impulsive by nature, try planning something for once. Tried of sport climbing? Go climb a wall. Or hike a peak.

Or go surfing. Maybe boulder on the beach sand, drink some mexican brews and watch the bettys.

Head out on a solo recon-trip somewhere.

Go climb some wild assed desert peak out in the Mojave.

Do a slot canyon. Do Buckskin Gulch, there ya go.

Or head on up to Alaska and go core. Work a crab boat for a bit and then head on up to the Big Mac by god.

DMT

lotsa good points here....

the big one being switching your climbing style. for a long time, all I did was boulder. it held my attention for along time, but then I hit a plateau, and I just couldn't improve. don't know why...it didn't matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't break the v3-v4 cap....in additon, I'd climbed every freakin boulder problem in minnesota and I was getting bored. so I switched to sport climbing. I wasn't very experienced at this point with sport, but because of all the bouldering I did, I excelled. sport climbing was SOoo different that it was like a whole new world and completly re-motivated me. I'm still on my sport binge, so I havn't done too much bouldering recently, but when I have, I've found that the v4s that were pissing me off before fell right into place. I attribute this to simply getting a change of scenery, and learning new techniques, and gaining muscle with the sport climbing.

...I'm sure I'll get sick of sport at some point and go back to bouldering....or try getting into trad (but that's expensive)...but just simply changing the style of climbing is enough for me to get re-motivated, and energized about climbing in general.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook