RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

addicted2alpine

Oct 20, 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #1 of 19 (9463 views)
Shortcut

Backup for ascending fixed lines
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So what do you guys use to back yourself up when jugging lines that are fixed at the top and bottom? And were assuming your using running man style here, not the froggy way

I know some of you are going to say use a grigri but what if the lines are so tight that you would be pulling slack through the grigri every 5-10ft? - That would get annoying and be very slow

you cant tie into the end of the rope and tieing in short would only allow you to go maybe 10ft before you had to retie, so what do you do?

glahhg

Oct 20, 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #2 of 19 (9435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [addicted2alpine] Backup for ascending fixed lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's straight vertical and I'm not passing gear or doing anything weird, nothing. Probably put biners through the ascenders.

One thing you could do is put a prussik above your top ascender. The ascender pushes it up.

socalclimber

Oct 20, 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #3 of 19 (9432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

addicted2alpine wrote:
So what do you guys use to back yourself up when jugging lines that are fixed at the top and bottom? And were assuming your using running man style here, not the froggy way

I know some of you are going to say use a grigri but what if the lines are so tight that you would be pulling slack through the grigri every 5-10ft? - That would get annoying and be very slow

you cant tie into the end of the rope and tieing in short would only allow you to go maybe 10ft before you had to retie, so what do you do?

Grigri, if the lines are so tight you can't use the grigri, then someone fucked up. Fixed lines does not mean CABLES. The prussik above works ok, but it you clear an edge or clean a piece of gear, or pass a knot, you've got some issues to deal with.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Oct 20, 2008, 11:04 PM)

Partner xtrmecat

Oct 20, 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #4 of 19 (9422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually put a biner through the top of each ascender to prevent it from being able to be torqued off the rope. I also put a locker on my belay loop so I cannot conceivably fall beyond the station below me. First pitch this is not possible. I also am very diligent about not getting in a hurry, getting sloppy with my strokes, and never bounce the line especially when I know it runs over an edge(either sharp or rounded) Some have wrapped a prussik above the top ascender and let the top jug push it up, however I have never done this.
Kind of unnerving the first time or ten above several hundred feet but after about 20 or 30 feet off the deck the results are going to be the same anyhow.
I have only jugged my own lines and there is never enough slack to allow a tie in. The second gets to tie in though, as he can bring up the bottom of the cord with him. The bad part is he also has all the ropes weight (we've fixed three 10.5 MM cords before) when he tops the lines as the first guy up never waits for the second at a station(prevent a cluster) and never on a section of line with your partner.
Bob

scottb

Oct 20, 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #5 of 19 (9411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems like a mini-trax or a handle-less ascender attached to your belay loop would work in that situation. Personally though, I wouldn't bother. I just put lockers trough the top of the ascenders and tie a backup knot on a locker through my belay loop if I have to pass a knot or an anchor.

ozoneclimber

Oct 21, 2008, 1:39 AM
Post #6 of 19 (9367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you go to OnRope1.com you will see a shitload of ascending systems that you could use...

ptlong

Oct 21, 2008, 1:45 AM
Post #7 of 19 (9364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen a grigri used in this circumstance and it worked okay. But a small ascender (like the mini traxion) would surely feed just fine.

I've never backed up in that situation since the odds of dying are due more to failure of anchor or rope damage than from popping off both jugs. But I've never had to ascend a line fixed top and bottom that also traversed greatly. In that case I'd rig a grigri or at the very least a prusik.

(This post was edited by ptlong on Oct 21, 2008, 1:47 AM)

marlinmje

Oct 22, 2008, 4:34 PM
Post #8 of 19 (9283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a grigri and the guys that I know that have done big walls use the grigri also. Just place overhand or fig 8 knots on the brake side of the rope as a back up.

altelis

Oct 22, 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #9 of 19 (9240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marlinmje] Backup for ascending fixed lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marlinmje wrote:
I use a grigri and the guys that I know that have done big walls use the grigri also. Just place overhand or fig 8 knots on the brake side of the rope as a back up.

not to be an ass- but WTF?!!?!?!

backing up the back up? isn't that a bit, um, overkill? if you are tying knots in the rope to back up the grigri (which in turn is backing up the jugs), why not skip the pain of pulling rope through the grigri and just freaking tie the knots?

or DON"T tie the knots but use the grigri......i know redundancy and all that but at a certain point you'll never leave the ground!

kennoyce

Oct 22, 2008, 11:49 PM
Post #10 of 19 (9224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No one has yet mentioned a tibloc. I will just clip a tibloc onto my belay loop and call it good. I know that if I were to need the tibloc, it might shred some of the sheath of the rope, but I won't die, and I have never had a single ascender come off the rope ever, so I think the chances of both popping is next to nothing.

colatownkid

Oct 23, 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #11 of 19 (9208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Backup for ascending fixed lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
marlinmje wrote:

backing up the back up? isn't that a bit, um, overkill? if you are tying knots in the rope to back up the grigri (which in turn is backing up the jugs), why not skip the pain of pulling rope through the grigri and just freaking tie the knots?

or DON"T tie the knots but use the grigri......i know redundancy and all that but at a certain point you'll never leave the ground!

not sure (didn't read that carefully, though in hindsight i probably should have), but i'm guessing marlin means that they're using the grigri as an ascender, in which case it might be worthy of backup.

ptlong

Oct 23, 2008, 1:29 AM
Post #12 of 19 (9196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Backup for ascending fixed lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

colatownkid wrote:
altelis wrote:
marlinmje wrote:

not sure (didn't read that carefully, though in hindsight i probably should have), but i'm guessing marlin means that they're using the grigri as an ascender, in which case it might be worthy of backup.

No worries, marlin didn't read that carefully either.

colatownkid

Oct 23, 2008, 1:34 AM
Post #13 of 19 (9190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong] Backup for ascending fixed lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ptlong wrote:
colatownkid wrote:
altelis wrote:
marlinmje wrote:

No worries, marlin didn't read that carefully either.

indeed he did not; otherwise he would have known the thread was about back-ups. knowing this, i didn't worry about not reading.

basilisk

Oct 23, 2008, 3:39 AM
Post #14 of 19 (9154 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Backup for ascending fixed lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no big-wall master, and I've never even tried this, but what about a cinch? It's pretty simple to slip onto even a taught line, and it'll more or less slide on its own

skiclimb

Oct 23, 2008, 3:47 AM
Post #15 of 19 (9150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To be quite honest

I tend to rely on my skill and awareness to back me up while ascending fixed lines.

I don't think I have ever done anything else as a backup. knots tie-ins or whatever...

majid_sabet

Oct 23, 2008, 4:18 AM
Post #16 of 19 (9139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Backup for ascending fixed lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
To be quite honest

I tend to rely on my skill and awareness to back me up while ascending fixed lines.

I don't think I have ever done anything else as a backup. knots tie-ins or whatever...

http://www.expeditioncave.com/srt/petzl/failure/

skiclimb

Oct 23, 2008, 4:48 AM
Post #17 of 19 (9124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Backup for ascending fixed lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid I am very aware of how petzl ascenders can slip or fail.. there are at least 2 I can think of that most people probably havn't run into....(beware the neutrino) I have spent it seems years ascending ropes with Petzls...

They are in a way a paintbruh in the hands of a master when I use them...

Nothing trumps skill experience and judgement in climbing when it comes to safety...

What is safe for me may not be safe for others...

and there are those who can do more than I..many others... and do so safely...

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Oct 23, 2008, 4:49 AM)

jmvc

Oct 23, 2008, 3:55 PM
Post #18 of 19 (9072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Backup for ascending fixed lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
skiclimb wrote:
To be quite honest

http://www.expeditioncave.com/srt/petzl/failure/

Wouldn't that be called "user error"?

I mean it's like complaining that a gri-gri didn't catch when the cam was blocked..

dingus

Oct 23, 2008, 4:00 PM
Post #19 of 19 (9068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

addicted2alpine wrote:

I use TWO ascenders. Each one serves as the backup to its mate. A nice simple solution.

DMT

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook