RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Partner jhundrup

May 9, 2001, 6:41 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Minimum Fitness for Starting
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Even if you aren\'t in the best of fitness, I think that you can still enjoy climbing. You obviously aren\'t going to start out on the hardest climbs around, but even an easy climb will give you a good workout. The fact that you can\'t do a pullup is a little bad, but you want to do as much climbing as possible with balance and your legs. Your legs are much stronger for propelling you up the rock than your upper body.
Enjoy your class.

Jared

Debt Miser wrote:
>What\'s the minimum one should have before starting to climb?
>
>I\'ve become interested in learning to climb, or at least take a few beginning classes to see what it\'s like. However, an honest appraisal of my current fitness level leaves me wondering if I\'m really ready. While I could likely make it through a lesson without dying, would I be so handicapped that I wouldn\'t get a feel for the climbing?
>
>Current Fitness level:
>
>M, 34, 5\'10/11\'\', 190-195 lbs (should be 175)
>
>Light health club workout 2-3 times/week on Nautilus machines
>
>45 minute jogging/bike workout 3 times/week (slow!, but steady)
>
>Recently did one of those courses where you run around a path, and stop at stations to do various exercises. One of the stations was a pull up bar. I couldn\'t do one. This is what got me thinking that I\'m not ready for a rock climbing class. I basically do enough to not become a couch potato, but not enough to be \"athletic.\"
>
>Any thoughts or comments much appreciated.
>
>
>

arlen

May 10, 2001, 12:56 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Minimum Fitness for Starting [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Debt Miser wrote:
>What\'s the minimum one should have before starting to climb? >
>I\'ve become interested in learning to climb, or at least take a few beginning classes to see what it\'s like. However, an honest appraisal of my current fitness level leaves me wondering if I\'m really ready. While I could likely make it through a lesson without dying, would I be so handicapped that I wouldn\'t get a feel for the climbing?

If anything you\'d get a better feel for climbing. I was 5\'11\", 180lbs when I took my first climbing class, and I had little choice but to concentrate on footwork and balance. It was harder to hang on in some moves, and I definitely got tired faster than I do now, but if you take a class, you spend a lot of time belaying and watching between your turns on the rock.

I took the ADK courses, and the real import was safety and belaying technique: good communication, keeping your hands on the right part of the rope, good rapelling style. There are only a handful of actual climbing techniques that are taught--you learn most of that naturally, on the rock (or plastic).

>Current Fitness level:
>
>
>
>
I did essentially this regimen for the past 9 months, concentrating on building lean muscle, and wound up weighing 145 lbs.

>Recently did one of those courses where you run around a path, and stop at stations to do various exercises. One of the stations was a pull up bar. I couldn\'t do one. This is what got me thinking that I\'m not ready for a rock climbing class. I basically do enough to not become a couch potato, but not enough to be \"athletic.\"

You may be surprised in the long run. At any rate, pulling up your body weight is an advanced move that mostly shows off bulky, fast-twitch back muscles. If you\'re just trying to hang on to a cliff, you need more duration than burst strength, so doing more (and varied) reps with less weight is better. I did a little too much, and now have a serious rotator cuff tear--a sometimes consequence of being \"athletic.\"

Even better: try some yoga moves. They develop good balance and duration, and it\'s not necessary to do the whole lifestyle thing to get benefit from it.

Good luck!

gottahavenuts

May 12, 2001, 6:11 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo man. You sound pretty dang healthy to me if your exercising as much as you say. The only exercise i got before i started climbing about 2 months ago was a few bike rides in the spring, some hiking, skatebording around the neighborhood and then snowboarding tons in the winter. It may sound like a lot but its just a lot of playing. You are working your body. Oh, and with your arms, dont worry, climbing is mainly a foot and leg activity. I am a fat 225lbs and I am only 17 going on 18, and I cant do a pull up for the life of me. But, I can leg press in excess of 650lbs. Most of my friends have great upper bodies and mediocre lower strength. So my leg strength and stamina kills them on some climbs. But, like yesterday when I was trying my first lead, a 5.10, I fell constantly on the first 10 feet cause my arms are so and it was all crimper (finger pinch) holds to start. And part of the problem with having weak arms, for me atleast, is that I cant take as much weight off of my shoes as some of my lighter weight and stronger armed friends can, so smearing is extremely difficult. I end up srambling to a bomber ledge rather that smearing up the wall. Well this is getting way too long and my fingers are sore from a 5 hour session yesterday, so, the bottom line is, if you wanna climb, I promise you that you will find a difficulty level that is challenging yet insanely fun at the same time. And the only way to get that body \"in shape for climbing\" is to do just that; Climb.

Enjoy life and live for the day,
Logan \"gottahavenuts\" Tanner

(nuts as in climbing nuts. get it? ha ha. . . uh... ya.)

Debt Miser wrote:
>What\'s the minimum one should have before starting to climb?
>
>
>Current Fitness level:
>
>
>
>
>
>Any thoughts or comments much appreciated.
>
>
>

coach

May 17, 2001, 12:53 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn\'t worry about your current state of fitness if you are truly interested in climbing. I am a 51 year old male that started climbing a little over a year ago. At that time I had difficulty with an easy 5.6 and am now doing 5.10. The finger, hand and arm strength came with time on the wall, working pinchers and micros and staying away from the big jugs as much as possible.

I have a small climbing wall in my backyard that I built after about 6-8 months and found that my technique improved almost immediately. Go for it and enjoy. People thought I was crazy to take it up at 50 but I didn\'t want to be sitting in a rocking chair sometime down the road and regretting that I didn\'t give it a shot. I love it!

climb On

ratstar

Nov 28, 2001, 9:40 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys are starting to sound like PTPP. Too long of posts. I think I am going to have to say, I wasnt fit at all until I started climbing hard. Now all the women want me cause all my muscles.

talons05

Nov 28, 2001, 9:48 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, and that's what it's all about....

AW

coach

Nov 28, 2001, 10:10 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ratstar,
If you would check you would notice that the long posts above were dated May 2001 and PTPP became a member of rc.com in Oct 2001. Maybe he posts more like them rather than the reverse.

Climb On

Partner missedyno

Nov 28, 2001, 1:05 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i still can't do a pull up

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 28, 2001, 3:09 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 5.1% body fat, and I find for gym climbing I have alot easier time with moves, especially crimpy moves then other people, especially larger people.

Strength will deffinently come with climbing though, as some people have said. So don't get discouraged!

About a year ago, I broke my ankel and coudln't climb. Got totally out of shape and could palm my bicep with no problem.

Just from climbing, I can do 5 pull ups with just 2 fingers on each hand, and a ton with all fingers.

Balance is very important as well. It is really a mixture. Some people say you can climb hard without strength.

I really don't care what they say, to climb inside, or outside, you gotta be able to push and pull you weight up, regardless of if you can balance on it or not.

rlkelley

Nov 28, 2001, 4:51 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

abcd

spacecowboy

Nov 28, 2001, 5:42 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started climbing about 9 months ago on a 5.6 and got hooked fast. When I first started I couldn't do 5 pushups and now i can do 50 straight in one set. Pulls ups i still suck at, only like 13 a set before i get dead tired and can't do anymore. But it's only been 9 months and I'm already on 5.11b's and I'm an instructor at a local gym...as for ladies...let's just say i'm a sexcellent climber, ha ha ha ha.

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 28, 2001, 11:53 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being able to do a 11B in 9 months is a great accomplishment, good job!

What are you doing on real rock?

[ This Message was edited by: dustinap on 2001-11-28 23:54 ]

Partner missedyno

Nov 29, 2001, 1:38 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sexcellent? baaaaaaaaad....

i got on an 11B ... once ....

i`ll let you know when i hit that elusive "one chin up" level.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook