Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing near Lancaster/Lititz
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

chesca

Nov 6, 2008, 8:13 AM
Post #1 of 9 (4454 views)
Shortcut

Climbing near Lancaster/Lititz  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can anyone tell me where there is some good climbing near Lititz or Lancaster? I heard Mt Gretna was good for bouldering, but I'd like to know some more particulars, and a good top rope and sport climbing area. I just moved up here about 6 weeks ago and I don't know the area. Any info is greatly appreciated. and if anyone would like to meet up that's cool too.

jdefazio

Nov 6, 2008, 8:16 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chesca] Climbing near Lancaster/Lititz [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Southeastern_Region/

duncanlennon

Nov 6, 2008, 8:39 AM
Post #3 of 9 (4444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mt. Gretna is very close to you. It offers a very high quantity of pretty decent diabase bouldering. Lots of slopers and such. There is a guide available at the Climbnasium near Mechanicsburg that includes a lot of south central PA bouldering. About an hour from Lancaster is Birdsboro Quarry, a smallish sport area. Do a search and you will come up with a lot of info for it. Chickies Rock is a decent trad and toproping area on the Susquehanna about 30 min west of Lancaster.

In short, you're fairly close to decent climbing. Check it out, there's a pretty good scene. Do remember, though: always better to go to the Gunks or the New!

chesca

Nov 6, 2008, 8:56 AM
Post #4 of 9 (4431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [duncanlennon] Climbing near Lancaster/Lititz [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I rode my bike up at Mt Gretna last weekend, but didn't know where the climbing was, I think it's near the educational building? and I've checked out the Southeast region, but I don't know where those places are. I'll give Birdsboro a look, Thanks!!

duncanlennon

Nov 6, 2008, 9:19 AM
Post #5 of 9 (4426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chesca wrote:
Thanks. I rode my bike up at Mt Gretna last weekend, but didn't know where the climbing was, I think it's near the educational building?

Yeah. Enter the woods on the wood chip path next to that building. There is a majorly confusing network of trails back there as you probably found. The closest climbing is found about 250 yards from the building. Keep bearing right on trails until you see some not-too-promising boulders on the left. Go towards them and you will find a little ravine full of fun moderates. That should get you started. The other main areas are within 500 yards of the building, but the woods are so damn thick that it might take a while to find them. Good luck!

roclimb

Nov 6, 2008, 6:24 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [duncanlennon] Climbing near Lancaster/Lititz [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This area is close to Lancaster

http://www.paclimbing.com/pevine_island_page.htm

I'll be adding more areas out that way soon. Only climb here when the water level is low. Most of the climbs are bolted well but in the 5.10 and up range.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want more areas near you.

Hope it helps
~RobSmile

duncanlennon

Nov 7, 2008, 3:16 AM
Post #7 of 9 (4371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roclimb] Climbing near Lancaster/Lititz [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That looks awesome! Your site is cool; I think I'll check out some of those areas when I get back to PA.

full1346

Nov 7, 2008, 4:16 AM
Post #8 of 9 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am a student in lancaster, and there is some great climbing in the area. gretna is a great place for bouldering, and great friction this time of the year. there is some awesome sport climbing 45 min away at the Bird. and if you like chossy trad then chickies is the place to be. also, rock state park, md is only an hour and 15 away. message me if you want to partner up and do some climbing

chesca

Nov 7, 2008, 8:02 AM
Post #9 of 9 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [full1346] Climbing near Lancaster/Lititz [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you everybody!!! I'll be checking out the rock scene asap! I gotta get my bouldering pad from home soon, so I can try out Mt Gretna. it's only about 35 mins away, so I should be able to get up there on a weekly basis. Thanks everyone for all the help. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys out there! Cool

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook