RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

bmapple

Nov 9, 2008, 2:28 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2135 views)
Shortcut

PMI Max-Wear Static Rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's time for a new static rope, but I can't decide between a couple options. I'll probably get the PMI ez bend in 10mm. I've used the 1/2"/12.5mm version at work and really like it. I've also heard about the PMI Max-Wear rope and am interested in it, but I don't know of anyone who has used it. Have any of you used the PMI max-wear rope? In the sizes I would take climbing I only have experience with the EZ bend and BW II ropes, and I like the hand of the PMI better. My interest in the PMI ropes is also the really good price I can get them at. Any suggestions on other brands/models I should look at? What about the PMI Max-Wear? If you have an opinion based on first hand experience with this rope I'd really like to hear it.

Thanks for your input.

moof

Nov 10, 2008, 5:09 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bmapple] PMI Max-Wear Static Rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Avoid it. I have 200' of 7/16" max-wear, and it sucks. It is absolute cable and a pain to tie knots in. Unless you are into caving, get something less stiff.

I also have 200' of 9.5mm New England KM-III static that I really like. It wears pretty well, thick enough for confidence, yet easy to tie knots in, crams into a bag nicely, etc.

majid_sabet

Nov 10, 2008, 5:19 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 280 feet of new 1/2" polyester static rope which i sure its made by PMI. I am looking to exchange it with the same length 7/16 static in case any one is interested.

jro

Nov 10, 2008, 5:25 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used the max-wear 1/2". Its really stiff- who said you can't push with a rope!!Tough, reliable, and yes, popular with cavers. BlueWater is my current choice for static rope. Cheers, John.

bmapple

Nov 12, 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jro] PMI Max-Wear Static Rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback. Knotability is what I'm worried about, I've used lots of 1/2 and 5/8 rope at work and the rare times I needed to tie a knot in it really sucked. Think I'll just stick with the PMI EZ-bend.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook