Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

itstoearly

Nov 14, 2008, 4:12 PM
Post #1 of 37 (11440 views)
Shortcut

Weight Training
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, before we even begin, just be assured I know that the best way to train for climbing is to climb. And that is my first choice. However, I mostly climb at a student run wall at my local college (the nearest climbing gym is almost an hour from me). However, because it is student run, it is not open very often... usually I can climb there a few nights a week. But even on days when I can climb, the wall sometimes is closed before I feel I have gotten a good work out. Now on the plus side, right across the hall from the climbing wall is a weight room with probably 2 dozen muscle specific machines, free weights, and bikes/treadmills. What muscle groups should I really focus on to complement and comlpete my climbing workout?

kyleshea

Nov 14, 2008, 4:14 PM
Post #2 of 37 (11437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [itstoearly] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

google workout from hell. look for the article by john long.

roy_hinkley_jr

Nov 14, 2008, 4:39 PM
Post #3 of 37 (11424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyleshea] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kyleshea wrote:
google workout from hell. look for the article by john long.

Only if you want an out-dated routine that isn't very efficient. It works but there are a lot better training options. WFH should be retired from the climbers lexicon.

climb4free

Nov 14, 2008, 5:08 PM
Post #4 of 37 (11399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll type/speak slowly so everyone gets it once and for all.

soooo ... many ... threads ... about ... this ... topic

USE THE SEARCH BAR in the upper right corner.

Thank you, and have a wonderful day.

borntorocku

Nov 14, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #5 of 37 (11393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have done WFH. It takes too long for too little results.

While not a program, there are some interesting training ideas at http://www.mtnathlete.com/.

rockforlife

Nov 14, 2008, 6:06 PM
Post #6 of 37 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you should skip the weights, and the bulk and find an RKC (kettlebells) trainer. They will be able to help your climbing way way more that weights.

good luck

http://www.dragondoor.com/...structor.pl?state=VT

(This post was edited by rockforlife on Nov 14, 2008, 6:12 PM)

roy_hinkley_jr

Nov 14, 2008, 6:20 PM
Post #7 of 37 (11356 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockforlife wrote:
you should skip the weights, and the bulk and find an RKC (kettlebells) trainer. They will be able to help your climbing way way more that weights.

Bwaahahaha! Funniest thing i've read on RC in a while. It's a frickin piece of iron. Pick it up, move it, put it down. Nothing magic or special. No soviet secret weapon, didn't even originate there. You can get the same results from iron in lots of other shapes too.

Partner angry

Nov 14, 2008, 6:22 PM
Post #8 of 37 (11355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been doing cock pushups

itstoearly

Nov 14, 2008, 6:38 PM
Post #9 of 37 (11338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I've been doing cock pushups
Unfortunately I am a long ways from being able to do that.

Bats

Nov 14, 2008, 6:49 PM
Post #10 of 37 (11329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate weights...but if I do two days within a week, I do noticed my strength on pinches and slopers. But I hate weights...but I force myself to do it like vegetables. Now I have tried the Yoga route which is great for the flexibility, but I have too many pre-existing injuries to do it on a regular schedule. Water aerobics has good resistance training, but the class at my gym is for like old people so there is no pushing the limits.

aerili

Nov 14, 2008, 7:21 PM
Post #11 of 37 (11314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
rockforlife wrote:

Bwaahahaha! Funniest thing i've read on RC in a while. It's a frickin piece of iron. Pick it up, move it, put it down. Nothing magic or special. No soviet secret weapon, didn't even originate there. You can get the same results from iron in lots of other shapes too.

I bet if I sell it hard enough to the right people, I can make money off indoctrinating them to only use this for their training:

Of course, you'd have to employ my special technique for which I will make you a special offer.
Attachments: EmoticonToilet.gif (2.40 KB)

rockforlife

Nov 14, 2008, 7:23 PM
Post #12 of 37 (11310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
rockforlife wrote:

What? have you ever done a REAL kettlebell work out. I would guess not, actually i would guarantee that you have not. You don't just pick it up, move it put, it it down. You swing, press, gettups, and lots more. If you do it right you should have a forearm pump, you should feel it in your core your legs. Best part you also get a really good cardio work out with NO RUNNING> YEAAAAAAAAA

EricVT

Nov 14, 2008, 7:32 PM
Post #13 of 37 (11302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kettlebells.htm

FTW

rockforlife

Nov 14, 2008, 7:33 PM
Post #14 of 37 (11299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EricVT] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockforlife

Nov 14, 2008, 7:39 PM
Post #15 of 37 (11293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EricVT] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is the worst Kettlebell website/training/people i have ever seen. That is not what kettlebells are about, and they have really really bad form, and they tell you how to do things wrong.

(This post was edited by rockforlife on Nov 14, 2008, 7:46 PM)

roy_hinkley_jr

Nov 14, 2008, 8:01 PM
Post #16 of 37 (11269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockforlife wrote:
roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
rockforlife wrote:

What? have you ever done a REAL kettlebell work out. I would guess not, actually i would guarantee that you have not. You don't just pick it up, move it put, it it down. You swing, press, gettups, and lots more. If you do it right you should have a forearm pump, you should feel it in your core your legs. Best part you also get a really good cardio work out with NO RUNNING> YEAAAAAAAAA

As a matter of fact, yes. I have a set a of KBs and am very familiar with swings, turkish get-ups, blah, blah, blah. Hate to burst your bubble but dumbbells work just fine too. RKC is just another marketing scheme like Crossfit, sure they have okay workouts but the reality doesn't live up to the hype. There are more effective and efficient ways to train for climbing fitness.

rockforlife

Nov 14, 2008, 9:10 PM
Post #17 of 37 (11246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could you give me something more effective and efficient, that is not just climbing?

roy_hinkley_jr

Nov 14, 2008, 9:58 PM
Post #18 of 37 (11233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockforlife wrote:
Could you give me something more effective and efficient, that is not just climbing?

Not without knowing where you are at now, where you want to be, specific goals, current diet, etc. One-size-fits-all programs are really one-size-fits-none. Do some homework and train accordingly.

bothomsen

Nov 15, 2008, 2:07 AM
Post #19 of 37 (11197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you should do a lot of pull-ups( with and without ekstra weight), push-ups, Dips, sit-ups, hanging leg-raises, bent-over barbel row, shoulder exersizes.
just dont do legs!
finger rolls! are goood to!

addicted2alpine

Nov 15, 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #20 of 37 (11162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bothomsen] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

any program that is based around a single piece of equipment (ie kettlebells) is a poorly balanced routine and/or a gimick (think about all the "trainers" that base a training program around bosu balls - its the same idea). Kettlebells are a great training tool but thats it - a tool - they are not the end all be all. a good strength program utilizes many different tools and techniques

oh, and dont base your routine on training muscles and movements that you already do in climbing or your boud to get an overuse injury. other than that, use the search function and you should find some stuff. lots of threads like this one

jollymon

Nov 16, 2008, 7:49 AM
Post #21 of 37 (11104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [addicted2alpine] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Going back to the OP's Q here.....Get a fingerboard and use that, you will feel the impact over time getting more and more contact strength....what its all about! Also do some freakin pushups to get at least a little pec action goin' on for when ya bust off the shirt in front of some girls. Laugh Okay it has other benifits from that also... 60-100 a day will do ya great, spread um out if ya need to at first but cut that out after a few weeks.

Don't over train on the fingerboard, pull ups are about the only safe exercise u should be doing every time you walk past it. I add extra time lowering down off the peak. Today it was 6 every time I passed it, tomorrow will be 7. Monday it will be one with a really long lock off. Get it? Im not going for reps Im going for duration and perfect form. If ya want to pound out sets of 10 then you plateau with pull ups pretty quick. No leg tossin or other cheating. Keep yourself in check.

As for the finger pockets, sloprs and edges...just hang out as long as you can open grip...not closed. Its hard and at first really sucks! but take it slow dont weight the hold with everything ya got right off the bat if you cant, and build up your hang times. Do that every other day or every third day. Never if ya feel pain. In fact you ever feel tendon pain take a week off at the very first ping. Those injuries don't heal well or fast. never "climb through it"

Run my friend. do a 5K in intervals 1K hard run 1K light jogging, back and forth. Try hitting that up in the morning, You will burn more all day long.

Do core training. Static holds on pushups, leg lifts off the finderboards jugs, sit ups, yoga, cardio intensity classes, whatever, Core is so critical and yet very hard to work out good (for me at least)

....Not that the kettlebells debate was not fascinating and all Tongue

-Jolly

rockforlife

Nov 17, 2008, 6:23 AM
Post #22 of 37 (11021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jollymon] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jollymon wrote:
Going back to the OP's Q here.....Get a fingerboard and use that, you will feel the impact over time getting more and more contact strength....what its all about! Also do some freakin pushups to get at least a little pec action goin' on for when ya bust off the shirt in front of some girls. Laugh Okay it has other benifits from that also... 60-100 a day will do ya great, spread um out if ya need to at first but cut that out after a few weeks.

Don't over train on the fingerboard, pull ups are about the only safe exercise u should be doing every time you walk past it. I add extra time lowering down off the peak. Today it was 6 every time I passed it, tomorrow will be 7. Monday it will be one with a really long lock off. Get it? Im not going for reps Im going for duration and perfect form. If ya want to pound out sets of 10 then you plateau with pull ups pretty quick. No leg tossin or other cheating. Keep yourself in check.

As for the finger pockets, sloprs and edges...just hang out as long as you can open grip...not closed. Its hard and at first really sucks! but take it slow dont weight the hold with everything ya got right off the bat if you cant, and build up your hang times. Do that every other day or every third day. Never if ya feel pain. In fact you ever feel tendon pain take a week off at the very first ping. Those injuries don't heal well or fast. never "climb through it"

Run my friend. do a 5K in intervals 1K hard run 1K light jogging, back and forth. Try hitting that up in the morning, You will burn more all day long.

Do core training. Static holds on pushups, leg lifts off the finderboards jugs, sit ups, yoga, cardio intensity classes, whatever, Core is so critical and yet very hard to work out good (for me at least)

....Not that the kettlebells debate was not fascinating and all Tongue

-Jolly

headchop

Nov 17, 2008, 4:09 PM
Post #23 of 37 (10974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Terrible thread.

OP - Use search tool. Read. Educate yourself.

itstoearly

Nov 17, 2008, 4:25 PM
Post #24 of 37 (10963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [headchop] Weight Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seeing as how my question was "(In a weight gym setting) what muscle groups should I really focus on to complement and comlpete my climbing workout? ", and I have received responses regarding kettlebells, using things not available in most weight gyms, and people typing stuff that does nothing to answer my question, how are other threads going to be any different? It's hard enough to get a straight, serious answer from anyone on these boards. Most people answer a question you didn't ask, or bitch about your question, or just pop in to say something unrelated, unimportant, and unhelpful.

borntorocku

Nov 17, 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #25 of 37 (10906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could answer some of these questions if you want constructive feedback:
In reply to:
Not without knowing where you are at now, where you want to be, specific goals, current diet, etc.

I don't know a cookie-cutter weight-lifting program for climbing. One possible exercise could be weighted pull-ups. A program for weighted pull-ups was outlined today on Mountain Athlete:
http://mtnathlete.com/id285.html

(This post was edited by borntorocku on Nov 17, 2008, 10:04 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook