RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

pushfurther

Oct 22, 2001, 10:10 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Stretching Shoes..
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

alright..a friend of mine is selling me his slightly used climbingshoes.com shoes and i was wondering how to stretch them..they are about a half size to small. any help would be appreciated.

munckee

Oct 22, 2001, 10:46 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Stretching Shoes.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The method I'm familiar with requires that you put the shoes on, soak them completely through in water, and then wear them until they're completely dry. My friend has tried it and says it works, but the downside is that you have to spend a few hours in shoes that are too small.

pollux

Oct 23, 2001, 1:02 AM
Post #3 of 10 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not to mention wet, don't know about you but I don't want wet shoes tracked all over my house.

graceauhk

Oct 23, 2001, 2:38 AM
Post #4 of 10 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wear thin socking when you put on your climbing shoes will ease the discomfort and put newspaper inside your climbing shoes when not using them.

kahuna3602

Oct 23, 2001, 3:41 AM
Post #5 of 10 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go to a good shoe repair place and get shoe stretchers. Get the kind that can be increased by small increments, either by a screw mechanism or moveable pins. If it hinges in the center it's much better for climbing shoes. The down side to wetting soes and wearing them is 1. it breaks down the leather 2. they shrink back when they dry. So you have to do it often until it works right and that goes back to 1.

coach

Oct 23, 2001, 6:21 AM
Post #6 of 10 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are they lined or unlined? Lined shoes do not stretch as easily as unlined ones. If they are lined you may damage them by trying to stretch them. If they are unlined the uppers may stretch but the soles will not so you may still have them tight after stretching.

Climb On

[ This Message was edited by: coach on 2001-10-23 06:22 ]

jds100

Oct 23, 2001, 8:59 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, unlined shoes might stretch into a shoe you can wear, but lined ones will just make a nice keychain.

Depending on whether the shoes are lined or unlined, and how the rubber rand goes around the upper, I wouldn't expect to be able to get a whole lot of stretch out of them. I did get a new pair of 5.10 Mocosyms, and it was a couple of weeks before I could even get one of them on my foot. But, once I did I wore it for as long as I could stand it (in the climbing gym that was about 5-10 minutes; at home I sat wearing them for a couple of hours), and now they are perfect. The warmth and moisture from your feet are going to be a lot healthier for stretching the shoes than getting them soaked. The shoes are probably made of a combination of split cowhide and man-made materials, and those materials will dry at different rates and with different results, and could end up stressing the stitching excessively.

When and if you get these resoled, you'll probably be back at square one, with really tight shoes, again.

tyraidbp

Oct 23, 2001, 9:26 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that you can stretch them with a stretcher, or you can cram as much newsprint in them as possible, or the best bet is, DONT BUY THEM!!!!They may seem like a great deal because they are your only option at this point, but if they dont fit, you are wasting money. Infact, I have done this sort of thing myself, and have a box full of shoes that are only a half or whole size too small. Let me know what size you are, maybe I can help. And when you resole them, they will not, or should not, get too much smaller.

woodse

Oct 23, 2001, 10:04 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't recommend the soaking your shoes idea, if they are unlined I would just jam your feet into them and climb as long as you can. In addition when you're hanging around the house just put them on for a while. I bought a pair of unlined shoes this summer and when I first bought them I could put them on for a couple of minutes but gradually through a few consecutive climbing sessions they were perfect.

trillium

Nov 7, 2001, 6:35 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What type of climbing shoes are they? Leather will stretch quite a bit where cloth shoes won't. I have purchased three different pairs of leather shoes that were so tight for the first few climbs that they brought tears to my eyes . Now they are all too big even with socks. Since then I have purchased non-leather types and have had no trouble . I say be sure to find out how many times they have been worn before you buy if they are leather as they may or may not stretch at all.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.16 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)
$6.26 (10% off)
$13.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook