Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sidepull

Nov 10, 2008, 4:14 PM
Post #26 of 36 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hopperhopper] Critique my training plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hopperhopper wrote:
I'm not saying one workout per muscle group per week is max...I'm saying there is a common opinion (with results to back it up) that it is sufficient.

Take, for example, Rob Riches. Natural body builder and fitness model...spends less than 3 hours a week in the gym. As I said, far more people hinder progress by overtraining than by not training enough.Unsure

HopperHopper,

I agree with your general statement - overtraining ruins progress. I'd argue a bit more broadly that poor training leads to injury (and injuries are what hinder progress).

I think the example you provide above is an interesting one. I'd agree that climbers with a long climbing career are very smart about how they train/climb and they likely do less training than many would assume. That said, the example misses two points:

First - Rob Riches can train only 3 hours per week because he's done a lot more training in the past. At this point, Rob's CNS is so dialed to what he's doing that he can get maximum contractions more efficiently than a beginner. There's no way he did this early in his career.

Second - Climbing is a sport about movement first and fitness second. This is not to say that there isn't a slight correlation between the two, but it does mean that a body building example breaks down a bit simply because they don't have to train movement as much (the variety of things they do is severly limited compared to what a climber encounters). Hence, climbers will need to spend more time practicing moving and then fitness which, for a beginner, will mean more than 3 hours of training.

aerili

Nov 11, 2008, 5:46 AM
Post #27 of 36 (1034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Critique my training plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hopperhopper wrote:
I'm not saying one workout per muscle group per week is max...I'm saying there is a common opinion (with results to back it up) that it is sufficient.

There is?

Working one muscle group per week is enough to maintain strength gains, not improve them--that is "common opinion," and only if the exercises are done fairly maximally. By default, then, this would not mean anything to a beginner who has nothing to maintain.

Also, most people's fault for lack of progress is not because they overtrain; most people undertrain by a long shot, or just don't train at all.

Sometimes you might think from posts online by people who went crazy with indoor climbing, campusing, etc. then got injured, or from posts by people who claim they are "planning" to devote 15 hours a week to training must represent the mean, but they don't.

sidepull wrote:
First - Rob Riches can train only 3 hours per week because he's done a lot more training in the past. At this point, Rob's CNS is so dialed to what he's doing that he can get maximum contractions more efficiently than a beginner. There's no way he did this early in his career.

Good point.

I'm not sure I buy that Rob Riches trains only 3 hours a week every week of every month regardless of comps, etc., anyway. I've known and worked with bodybuilders and their programs cycle greatly throughout the year.

sidepull wrote:
Second - Climbing is a sport about movement first and fitness second.

Yes...but....I don't know of many sports (esp. body weight dependent sports) that don't require a large degree of fitness for optimal training, regardless of how the fitness is attained. I know what you mean with your statement and I don't disagree, but I do disagree that fitness comes secondary. I think it factors equally.

Although I did hear from a climber friend once that he saw this 50 year old, out of shape, overweight dude with the hugest pot belly EVER walk The Gift at Red Rocks (12d). I realize he had it dialed for years and all, but zat ees still crazeee!!!

Oh, the other thing is I think the word "skill" is more appropriate than "movement" in your post and it better clarifies what you were saying.

hopperhopper

Nov 11, 2008, 6:04 AM
Post #28 of 36 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Critique my training plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
hopperhopper wrote:

There is?

Working one muscle group per week is enough to maintain strength gains, not improve them--that is "common opinion," and only if the exercises are done fairly maximally. By default, then, this would not mean anything to a beginner who has nothing to maintain.

I work each muscle group only once per week and I have seen substantial gains, both in size and strength. Nevertheless, I should have defined "sufficient" better. I meant what you explained...enough to maintain.

aerili wrote:
Also, most people's fault for lack of progress is not because they overtrain; most people undertrain by a long shot, or just don't train at all.

The way you worded it: true. Out of everybody, by far the majority undertrains (especially in America.)

However, when I made this statement I was talking only about the population that trains regularly, that is, those who are serious about finding the optimum training schedule. In attempts to achieve maximum results, far more people overdo it than underdo it.

aerili wrote:
I'm not sure I buy that Rob Riches trains only 3 hours a week every week of every month regardless of comps, etc., anyway. I've known and worked with bodybuilders and their programs cycle greatly throughout the year.

You're right! Of course bodybuilders vary their training...but look up Rob's training philosophy. You'd be surprised, he sticks to that pretty much all the time.

sidepull wrote:
hopperhopper wrote:

Take, for example, Rob Riches. Natural body builder and fitness model...spends less than 3 hours a week in the gym. As I said, far more people hinder progress by overtraining than by not training enough.Unsure

HopperHopper,

I agree with your general statement - overtraining ruins progress. I'd argue a bit more broadly that poor training leads to injury (and injuries are what hinder progress).

I think the example you provide above is an interesting one. I'd agree that climbers with a long climbing career are very smart about how they train/climb and they likely do less training than many would assume. That said, the example misses two points:

Second - Climbing is a sport about movement first and fitness second. This is not to say that there isn't a slight correlation between the two, but it does mean that a body building example breaks down a bit simply because they don't have to train movement as much (the variety of things they do is severly limited compared to what a climber encounters). Hence, climbers will need to spend more time practicing moving and then fitness which, for a beginner, will mean more than 3 hours of training.

Good additions, thanks for posting.

Your second comment is true, but not so relevant in this context. The OP's training plan that he asked us to critique is not movement training, it's strength. In that regard, when we're just talking about building muscle, much more from the lifting world carries over than when talking about climbing skill in general.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 11, 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #29 of 36 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Rob R. training time brings to mind the old adage that the fitness models selling a product very rarely got to be fitness models by using the products advertised. (Do you think the “Bender Ball” chick really got those buns / abs from just the ball? Did that dude really use get that jacked from the rotating push up tool?) The list of exercises is nice, but I would ask “where is the plan”.

How often are you going to measure / review progress? How are you going to inspire yourself? What are you going to do when (not if) you get sick? How important is this?

Don’t worry about the steps, they are merely a list. Concentrate on building your emotional commitment. Come late Feb when you stare at the same plastic pull, this will be the difference between succeeding in April and giving up.

The sources of the OP, both Horst and RP speak to how they didn’t start out doing the program they did in the end. Success comes through growth.

sidepull

Nov 12, 2008, 4:36 PM
Post #30 of 36 (978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hopperhopper wrote:
Your second comment is true, but not so relevant in this context. The OP's training plan that he asked us to critique is not movement training, it's strength. In that regard, when we're just talking about building muscle, much more from the lifting world carries over than when talking about climbing skill in general.

My pleasure. I guess the reason why I think my comments are perhaps more relevant than you portray is that the OP sounded more like a beginner and when beginners focus too much on strength as opposed to "skill" they try to muscle moves rather than "move" through moves (thanks Aerili - although Fluxus would disagree). I'd rather see a program that integrates skill training with strength training simply because if this isn't done is an integrated way then both will likely suffer. For example, if strength is trained before skill then the individual is likely to be tired for the skill portion and won't learn proper body control.

Just thoughts. Cool

domnas

Nov 12, 2008, 5:13 PM
Post #31 of 36 (972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jto] Critique my training plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jto wrote:

MON
- bouldering short 3-6 move projects, 2 hours
- fingerboard volume crimps, pinches, 1 hour
- running, swimming or biking, ½ hour
- chins, core, ½ hour
TUE
- easier bouldering for volume, 2 hours
- fingerboard volume slopers, pockets, 1 hour
- bench etc, core, ½ hour
WED
- easy route climbing mileage, 3 hours
THU
- bouldering longer 6-15 move projs, 2 hours
- fingerboard volume crimps, slopers, 1 hour
- running, swimming or biking ½ hour
- bench etc, core ½ hour
FRI
- rest
SAT
- route projects, 4 hours
- core, ½ hour
SUN
- easier bouldering for volume, 2 hours
- fingerboard volume pinches, pockets, 1 hour
- chins, core, ½ hour

Usually I did some kind of training for rotator cuffs, stretching etc every day. If I have time for a workout I´ll do it. If I don´t feel like training, I won´t. Easy.

Cheers

god if only I had an extra four hours a day to climb and train....

jamesellis

Nov 12, 2008, 9:46 PM
Post #32 of 36 (953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Critique my training plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
hopperhopper wrote:

My pleasure. I guess the reason why I think my comments are perhaps more relevant than you portray is that the OP sounded more like a beginner and when beginners focus too much on strength as opposed to "skill" they try to muscle moves rather than "move" through moves (thanks Aerili - although Fluxus would disagree). I'd rather see a program that integrates skill training with strength training simply because if this isn't done is an integrated way then both will likely suffer. For example, if strength is trained before skill then the individual is likely to be tired for the skill portion and won't learn proper body control.

Just thoughts. Cool

Wrong. I've been climbing for years, and I climb hard .11 to easy .12, I just have never had a consistent training plan, because I know nothing about it. Obviously, skill and technique are irrelevant in this plan, it is just my climbing fitness that could use work.

borntorocku

Nov 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #33 of 36 (929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesellis] Critique my training plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb at similar level as you. However, I have a structured training plan. The basis of a training plan is addressing weaknesses. What are your biggest weaknesses? I have found SCC's performance guidelines, p 192, helpful in determining my weaknesses.

According to SCC, you should be able to the following (at a minimum):
1) continuously climb 5.10a for 30min
2) 4X4 V0
3) 4-6 interval laps on 5.10d
4) boulder V3
5) 10-15 V2 in a session
6) 10-15 5.10d in a session

Your training plan implies that you need to increase your max bouldering level, #4, and frequently fall at cruxes, even if they are at the beginning of routes. Is that the case?

bustloose

Nov 18, 2008, 7:32 PM
Post #34 of 36 (880 views)
Shortcut

Re: [borntorocku] Critique my training plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

first of all, The Gift is NOT 12d. 12b max...

I am surprised to be the first to mention this, but it really important.
you should NOT be doing what you call 'finger conditioning' AFTER a climbing session. that is one of the surest paths to finger injury that i know of.
I have run various climbing training programs for many years, for people of all skill and fitness levels, and i never never never have people on the campus board after a session.
If you want to campus, you make it your workout. you warm up, you campus, you cool down, you go home.

otherwise i think your program is ridiculously over the top. you'll burn out or get injured long before you see any results.

one other point, you really should train Power, Stamina and Endurance on a cycle, not all three, every week, they are completely different...

habitat

Nov 22, 2008, 3:40 PM
Post #35 of 36 (830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jto] Critique my training plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jto wrote:
I think the program seems quite ok. Not too much training at all even if I´d cut down the non climbing workouts a bit depending of your base fitness level. The thing you have to keep in mind is that you have to keep some easier phases along when jumping on this kind of high volume training. For example two weeks hard and one easy.

Of course you can´t start with a high volume program instantly but build up to it. It pays off as a better overall fitness in climbing too. If you want to stress climbing then keep your supportive training easier on volume.

Usually I did some kind of training for rotator cuffs, stretching etc every day. If I have time for a workout I´ll do it. If I don´t feel like training, I won´t. Easy.

Cheers

Top post. Train as hard Madas you can and listen to your body. U know U best.

taydude

Nov 22, 2008, 4:06 PM
Post #36 of 36 (829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [habitat] Critique my training plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The best way to get better at climbing is to climb. I don't know about other people but i've conditioned myself to be able to sport climb indoors every single day of the week if I have time to make it to the gym. I can boulder about every other day. I used to be able to boulder every day but started getting tendonitis a lot so I stopped that haha. Unless you're pushing v6-7 or 5.11 ish I think you're lacking technique over strength.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook