RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

clee03m

Nov 17, 2008, 4:42 PM
Post #1 of 18 (5274 views)
Shortcut

I took my first gear fall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

And it held.

caughtinside

Nov 17, 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #2 of 18 (5272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] I took my first gear fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

voodoo. You're lucky to be alive!

lena_chita

Nov 17, 2008, 6:25 PM
Post #3 of 18 (5249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How big a fall?

I'm a chicken. I only had one 'take' on gear -- and yeah, it held. Crazy I went back to redpoint the route couple days later and felt really good about it.

Ah, the trad gumbiness-- I am sure my partners have a lot of fun watching me climb... It's funny (no, not really) -- I got completely sketched out on a climb a couple of weeks ago. Something that sholud have been well within my ability level... But I bumped my knee really badly (to the point where tears were streaming out of my eyes and the knee was locked and completely numb), sketched out more, realizing that my last piece was quite a bit farther below me than I wanted it to be, and trying to remember how good a piece it really was, decided that I needed to put a piece right there and then, dropped a cam Blush, managed to put in another piece, and all the while I was thinking-- man, if this were a sport climb, I would have said "take" already... I'm pretty proud of NOT saying 'take' on that climb-- I guess it was within my ability level after all.

clee03m

Nov 17, 2008, 6:59 PM
Post #4 of 18 (5242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] I took my first gear fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the piece was at my foot and I had long slinged it, so what ever that turns out to be.

You should see my gumbie rack. It's so heavy, it's a wonder I can get off the ground. When it's a hard climb, I am placing every 2 feet, which makes the climb harder. My partner and I joke around about how all the hard moves shall be top roped and all the the holds shall be filled. And then I run out of slings and gear and forced to run it out at the top. And apparantly I sound like I am giving birth while doing this.

Oh, well. I am still ecstatic that I am gear leading and finally leading as hard as I can follow. I started in April, so that's pretty good in my book.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 17, 2008, 7:29 PM
Post #5 of 18 (5231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations on getting a good safe fall.

About sewing it up and then running out of thread - that's often been my case....hahah. At least if I am climbing on someone else's rack. Especially when climbing on double ropes, for some reason. I often will bring extra draws with me if I think my partner doesn't have enough.

I sew, sew, sew off the deck. I really like G-level placements for the first 30 or so feet. For some reason, ledges and stuff (which I know can maim and kill on contact) doesn't cause the same anxiety for me as the potential for groundfall.

Partner j_ung

Nov 17, 2008, 7:32 PM
Post #6 of 18 (5231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey congratulations on surviving! It's a pretty unique experience, huh?

tavs

Nov 17, 2008, 9:27 PM
Post #7 of 18 (5212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] I took my first gear fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats!! I have absolutely no idea when, where, or what route my first sport fall was on, but I will always remember my first gear fall!

Something I did that helped my comfort and confidence in gear--I aid climbed. Nothing serious and not very often, but a few single pitch aid routes did wonders for my gear placement and ability to trust pieces. Once you see what kind of crap (tipped out, one lobe engaged cams, for example) can in fact hold your body weight, those fully engaged bomber cam placements start to look like bolts. And placing tons and tons of pieces, often in less obvious spots, while having the time to relax and think about it, really helped my eye for placements.

kostik

Nov 18, 2008, 4:18 PM
Post #8 of 18 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats, Chris! You are my heroine. Leading on gear scares shit out of me. I'll never do it myself, but I respect those who do.

shorty

Nov 18, 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #9 of 18 (5141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
And it held.
Excellent -- which means somewhere along the line you've learned a thing or two about placing gear.

One way to become even more comfortable with your gear placements is to learn how to aid climb (assuming you haven't done so already). My first experience of standing on my own placements is as vivid today as it was so many moons ago. Again, assuming you haven't already aided a pitch or two, I'll through out some suggestions:

Find someone who knows how to aid and is willing to teach you. Then bribe that person with vast injections of No-Doze during the session and a steak dinner afterwards. And have them use a gri-gri (belaying aid makes watching rust form on garden tools seem interesting).

Find a short, overhanging crack route that sucks up gear like a Hoover. Then throw every piece know to mankind into the crack every 18 inches and stand on them. Rock back and forth, bounce, then jump to see if you can pop the pieces. Oh yeah, wear impact resistant eye glasses when you do this -- I logged a little air time and took a few stoppers in the face the first time.

You may find that your preference for certain types of gear changes, and you will likely develop more confidence in running it out over good gear when necessary.

Partner camhead

Nov 19, 2008, 5:39 AM
Post #10 of 18 (5125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] I took my first gear fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kostik wrote:
Congrats, Chris! You are my heroine. Leading on gear scares shit out of me. I'll never do it myself, but I respect those who do.

don't worry kostya, lena will be putting up topropes on the 5.11 cracks for you in no time! hehe.

kostik

Nov 19, 2008, 4:01 PM
Post #11 of 18 (5106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] I took my first gear fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
don't worry kostya, lena will be putting up topropes on the 5.11 cracks for you in no time! hehe.

Cannot wait for that to happen, Paul.Sly Btw, Christmas is coming, and she needs a rack...

lena_chita

Nov 19, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #12 of 18 (5090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] I took my first gear fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
kostik wrote:

I'll make sure you wear a helmet, if you are going to belay me. With my gear placement skills, I don't want you to really become a CAMhead.

lena_chita

Nov 19, 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #13 of 18 (5089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kostik wrote:
camhead wrote:

Cannot wait for that to happen, Paul.Sly Btw, Christmas is coming, and she needs a rack...

BD #2, 1 and 0.5 would be good, please...

kostik

Nov 19, 2008, 7:21 PM
Post #14 of 18 (5076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] I took my first gear fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

Girl's toys? How many of each?

(This post was edited by kostik on Nov 19, 2008, 7:23 PM)

tradrenn

Nov 26, 2008, 9:37 PM
Post #15 of 18 (4992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kostik wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Girl's toys? How many of each?

If we are talking RRG get her 3 of each, but 4 would be perfection. Don't forget .75.

caliclimbergrl

Jan 2, 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #16 of 18 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats!! I think that is quite an accomplishment! I'm so terrified to fall, it's a wonder I climb at all! My main climbing goal right now is to take a lead fall on gear. But I can't do it on purpose. So I'm trying to push myself to climb harder routes in the hope of falling. But I'm in the bad habit of taking and hanging on gear instead of pushing myself to either get it clean or fall. But I'm working on it -- one of these days I'll be celebrating with you!

caliclimbergrl

Jan 2, 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #17 of 18 (4694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shorty] I took my first gear fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shorty wrote:

One way to become even more comfortable with your gear placements is to learn how to aid climb (assuming you haven't done so already). My first experience of standing on my own placements is as vivid today as it was so many moons ago. Again, assuming you haven't already aided a pitch or two, I'll through out some suggestions:

Find someone who knows how to aid and is willing to teach you. Then bribe that person with vast injections of No-Doze during the session and a steak dinner afterwards. And have them use a gri-gri (belaying aid makes watching rust form on garden tools seem interesting).

Find a short, overhanging crack route that sucks up gear like a Hoover. Then throw every piece know to mankind into the crack every 18 inches and stand on them. Rock back and forth, bounce, then jump to see if you can pop the pieces. Oh yeah, wear impact resistant eye glasses when you do this -- I logged a little air time and took a few stoppers in the face the first time.

You may find that your preference for certain types of gear changes, and you will likely develop more confidence in running it out over good gear when necessary.

Chris, I really need to get some more aid practicing in. So we should totally head over to Index together one of these days and do some aid climbing together! I'd be happy to teach you if you provide the gri-gri! With our combined racks (and maybe an extra set of nuts), we should be able to get up a whole climb! What do you say?

(This post was edited by caliclimbergrl on Jan 2, 2009, 11:02 AM)

clee03m

Jan 3, 2009, 4:19 AM
Post #18 of 18 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] I took my first gear fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, long time! I am a total wuss and hang dog more than I would like. Lead falls are never intentional, and after the second one, I was thinking I want to cut back on the grade some...

If we could get a good weather weekend, I would love to get together for Index. Let's pm next time we go out.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook