Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
BETA for Patterson Bluffs, Western Sierra??? Anyone?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sgreer

Nov 11, 2008, 9:44 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2125 views)
Shortcut

BETA for Patterson Bluffs, Western Sierra??? Anyone?  (North_America: United_States: California: Western_Sierra: Patterson_Bluff_-_Kings_River)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This place looks like it has much potential. I am going to check it out this Sunday. Can anyone provide any useful beta? Topos would be awesome too.

alter_nate

Nov 19, 2008, 9:23 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgreer] BETA for Patterson Bluffs, Western Sierra??? Anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Southern Sierra Climbers Association (SSCA) included a bunch of topos for this area in a newsletter a few years back. Plenty of stuff established up there, but undoubtedly room for more. Just beware the poison oak. I've never been.

sgreer

Nov 20, 2008, 4:59 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alter_nate] BETA for Patterson Bluffs, Western Sierra??? Anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tip, I need to get my hands on one of those newsletters now.

I did go up there this past sunday and I found a remote crag further up the canyon. There were a handful of harder trad and sport climbs in this rock out cropping. My partner and I climbed an awesome face that I would give a 10a rating to. There was an ancient piece of webbing at the anchors. I replaced it with some blue webbing and a rap ring. It was late in the day and we didn't have time for much, so I would like to go back with some beta.

fresnoflats

Jan 17, 2009, 8:02 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgreer] BETA for Patterson Bluffs, Western Sierra??? Anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there are now a lot of routes up there and tons more potential. I know that many more routes have been established since I was active up there and I would not know much about them. You can access a lot of stuff through the winter along the Black Rock Road such as Patterson Right, Down Under Dome and the Inner Gorge with the Big Schwa.

Patterson Right is accessible via rappel routes from the top near the square reflectors. There is a old road/trail that goes up from the backside. There are a variety of very serious and a few moderate routes in that area. There is a 5.7 ish climb back out which is much easier and faster than the bushwhack out to the side. There is also some interesting climbing over near the waterfall which you can access up the creek then some bushwhacking.

Patterson Left, the big wall is best accessed in the fall from above off the Ross Crossing Road. There are a a number of long sport routes on this face established by Leversee, Leager, Brandt and a few others. Leversee and I did the first routes on this wall in about 1982, Sunset Buttress, but I have done almost nothing up there since.

There are some great campsites, so it is nice to just hang out up there for a few days with a group of friends exploring the various areas.

fng

Mar 28, 2013, 3:52 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresnoflats] BETA for Patterson Bluffs, Western Sierra??? Anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was up at Patterson Bluff area on 3/16 & 17 with Matt Schutz and Danny Gray. We found 3-4 new established routes on a one pitch bluff, behind the power lines, to the west of Black Rock Road just past the reservoir split. Anyone have any info on these? Post it or PM me if know who FA'd them or have beta.

What an amazing area. Been about 5 years since I had been there and I forgot just how amazing it is.

Update:the taco had a good response;
http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2106135/Patterson-Bluff-online-guide

(This post was edited by fng on Apr 20, 2013, 2:35 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook