Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Ah! Thanksgiving climbing in CA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sunny_climber

Nov 21, 2008, 7:27 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Ah! Thanksgiving climbing in CA  (North_America: United_States: California)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I live in LA, and I need to find a spot to climb and camp over Thanksgiving weekend with my group. We all want somewhere that doesn't get too cold at night (as I'm a huge wuss to cold).
The problem is, we can only sport climb, as I don't have any trad gear any more. So I was thinking J-Tree, but now that's out.
So does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking Santa Babara, but I don't know the climbing area well, and I don't know if it will be all booked up this time of year?
We could go somewhere cooler if we could rent a cabin, but are the cabins all filled up on Thanksgiving weekend? Are all camping places filled up Thanksgiving weekend?
Any help would be so much appreciated....I've lagged, and now I'm down to the wire, and I don't want to let anyone down!
Thanks you!!!!!

jnm1

Nov 21, 2008, 9:49 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sunny_climber] Ah! Thanksgiving climbing in CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How about New Jack? Not quite as high desert as JTree, although I've never camped there but I suspect it's a little crazy with the ATVrs. Or Apple Valley and then you could hit the hot springs near there.

sunny_climber

Nov 24, 2008, 8:18 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jnm1] Ah! Thanksgiving climbing in CA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info! Apple Valley + Hot Springs sounds like a winner, and my friends are excited about the idea.

A couple questions, if anyone knows....it's been hard for me to map it out: How far is the climbing area from the Deep Creek Springs trail head? And it looks like it might rain, is there a reasonable hotel between them?
Any info would be great...
Thanks!

dameat

Nov 24, 2008, 8:34 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your best bet is Bishop.The weather is gonna be great and there is plenty of sport climbing.New jack City is a shit hole/arm pit of the climbing world.Plus there will be a lot of dirt biking atv riding shooting guns kinda people around there over that weekend.So be careful.

jnm1

Nov 25, 2008, 4:36 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't recommend any hotels out there as dameat is right, you pretty much want to hightail it out of there at night. But you have Barstow and Apple Valley to choose from and I'm sure there are some Motel Hells out there.
But then we're in LA so what's a few gunshots and noisy bikes.
Do you have the So Cal Sport Climbing guide book by Mayr?
If not I'd pick it up - lists Apple Valley and New Jack.
Also on this site under Routes in San Bernardino check The Cemetery and The Dead Zone - both in Apple Valley.
Happy Turkey Day

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook