RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

Gmburns2000

Nov 20, 2008, 11:50 PM
Post #1 of 14 (10862 views)
Shortcut

Eldo Deaths Summer 2008
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can anyone tell me about the two deaths this summer on the Bastille Wall in Eldo? I've searched, but the thread that discusses both of these is in the Recycling Bin and I can't find much news on Google besides the death that occurred on Werks Up.

In particular, I'm looking to know the circumstances of the climber on Bastille Crack, not Werks Up. Was he soloing? Did he actually die? Or did two climbers actually die on Werks Up and no one died on Bastille Crack?

Not looking for analysis. I just want to get my facts straight before mentioning on my blog (I'm not going to analyze or comment on the actual fall / death, just note that there was a death this summer).

Thanks...

Partner angry

Nov 20, 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #2 of 14 (10848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Eldo Deaths Summer 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My understanding is that this spring/summer there were 4 major accidents and one death.

1. Chris and Chris on Doub Griffith. The leader pulls a loose block that lands on the belayer. They are both badly injured but the belayer far worse. Both live.

2. Not sure exactly but someone took a 100' fall and got badly injured.

3. A leader took a fall on Werks Up and hit his head. After about a week in the hospital he passed away.

4. A soloist fell off of Werks Up at approx the same spot as above and was expected to make it. I haven't heard an update.

Gmburns2000

Nov 21, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #3 of 14 (10836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Eldo Deaths Summer 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

But you haven't heard anything specific on Bastille Crack though, I take it?

I knew about Werks Up, and that was the news story I read (where the sister and GF went back to the route to pay homage to the guy who died. Apparently, another climber fell while they were there and landed nearby - maybe that was #4. Kind of a sick twist of fate).

Partner robdotcalm

Nov 21, 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #4 of 14 (10758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Can anyone tell me about the two deaths this summer on the Bastille Wall in Eldo? I've searched, but the thread that discusses both of these is in the Recycling Bin and I can't find much news on Google besides the death that occurred on Werks Up.

Recycling these posts indicates that the new policies here will allow for polite feelings to be expressed but not items that are newsworthy. You can find out about these accidents on Mt. Project.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

Gmburns2000

Nov 21, 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #5 of 14 (10745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Eldo Deaths Summer 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Recycling these posts indicates that the new policies here will allow for polite feelings to be expressed but not items that are newsworthy. You can find out about these accidents on Mt. Project.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

Actually, I looked there, and there doesn't seem to be anything about Bastille Crack specifically. It seems that the falls were on Werk Supp (2 falls - one death) and another on a route on Wind Tower. Other than that, it seems that Bastille Crack itself had "newsworthy"-free summer, which is what I'm going to go with.

Thanks to both of you for your help, though (unless you know of something that I'm missing - otherwise, keep it coming).

Partner j_ung

Nov 21, 2008, 2:30 PM
Post #6 of 14 (10658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

Not necessarily. I'm not aware of the two threads mentioned, and certainly, both were recycled before the new policy took effect. Let me head in to the Recycle bin and see what I can find out.

Partner j_ung

Nov 21, 2008, 2:35 PM
Post #7 of 14 (10651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Eldo Deaths Summer 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not finding the thread mentioned in Recycle or anyplace else, for that matter. Anybody remember a thread title? I searched "bastille, death" and "bastille crack, eldo," and didn't find much.

nthusiastj

Nov 21, 2008, 3:06 PM
Post #8 of 14 (10617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Eldo Deaths Summer 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
My understanding is that this spring/summer there were 4 major accidents and one death.

1. Chris and Chris on Doub Griffith. The leader pulls a loose block that lands on the belayer. They are both badly injured but the belayer far worse. Both live.

2. Not sure exactly but someone took a 100' fall and got badly injured.

3. A leader took a fall on Werks Up and hit his head. After about a week in the hospital he passed away.

4. A soloist fell off of Werks Up at approx the same spot as above and was expected to make it. I haven't heard an update.

Angry's got it down. There were no deaths on the Bastille Crack.

The guy in #2 was hit by a rock from above while running it out on easy ground and took a huge fall, but I don't think he decked. I seem to remember reading he recovered fully.

You could check Mountain Project as it is a more local forum. I'm sure the threads are still there.

(This post was edited by nthusiastj on Nov 21, 2008, 3:07 PM)

Gmburns2000

Nov 21, 2008, 3:59 PM
Post #9 of 14 (10556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I'm not finding the thread mentioned in Recycle or anyplace else, for that matter. Anybody remember a thread title? I searched "bastille, death" and "bastille crack, eldo," and didn't find much.

"Re: [robdotcalm] 50-foot fall at Eldorado Canyon July 22"

This is all that came up when I search for "eldo accident." It was on the last page of the search (page 8).

This brings me to a quick, off-topic suggested about the search function: can we make it sortable by post date?

Partner robdotcalm

Nov 21, 2008, 4:48 PM
Post #10 of 14 (10495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:

Good to note that the threads are still here.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...robdotcalm;#1927170]

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ing=hankins;#1931086

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

Partner j_ung

Nov 22, 2008, 1:50 PM
Post #11 of 14 (10372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I moved both to this forum.

jabtocrag

Nov 24, 2008, 5:40 PM
Post #12 of 14 (10295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
This brings me to a quick, off-topic suggested about the search function: can we make it sortable by post date?

The lack of this feature has been one thing that's always annoyed me about RCs search functionality. I second this recommendation!! :)

Partner j_ung

Nov 25, 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #13 of 14 (10245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jabtocrag] Eldo Deaths Summer 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jabtocrag wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

The lack of this feature has been one thing that's always annoyed me about RCs search functionality. I second this recommendation!! :)

Last off topic post. Sooner or later, the Search function will be attacked with gusto. In meantime, here's a tip. Type in any old group of letters. The less like an actual word the better. The search will return 0 results and take you to an advanced search screen, where you can sort by all kinds of criteria. (Gawd that's stupid. Maybe I'll work on the search sooner, rather than later.)

rkepley_1

Nov 25, 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #14 of 14 (10224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The climber in Eldo who fell about 100 feet was climbing on "Wind Tower". I believe he was on Reggae. It happened in the same time frame as the accidents on Werk Sup.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook