Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bradmc

Nov 19, 2008, 2:29 AM
Post #1 of 32 (10961 views)
Shortcut

The SCC is at it again....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The SCC is at it again... expanding YOUR climbing opportunities in the deep South.

We’re buying another crag in Alabama! The ink has barely dried on the contract for Crag X & we’re in full tilt fund raising mode!

The clock is ticking & we’ve got under 90 days till closing. Email & call your friends this is HUGE for southeast climbing! Even if you can only spare $10, every little bit helps. Spread the word & let’s get this thing done so we can all go climb at a new crag in early ’09!

so far we have raised over $6,000 in 24 hours - and another $8k was raised off the radar in the past 2 weeks.

Sorry for the secrecy on the name, the official announcement will be on December 5th at the Stone Fort Triple Crown bouldering comp. This project has been three years in the making.

Here’s a link with more info & to pledge donations.

http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11226

A minimum $10 donation also gets you a year’s membership in the SCC. You can donate online on the SCC’s website under ‘Join Now’ & type ‘Crag X’ in the For box. But please post your pledge on the above link so we can track donations.

You can donate online here: http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=membership

just type in "Crag X" into the info box.

It’s an exciting time for SEclimbers. Let’s get this one paid for so we can move on to the next acquisition!

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

The Southeastern Climbers Coalition
www.seclimbers.org

kovacs69

Nov 19, 2008, 3:04 AM
Post #2 of 32 (10941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bradmc] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bradmc wrote:
The SCC is at it again... expanding YOUR climbing opportunities in the deep South.

We’re buying another crag in Alabama! The ink has barely dried on the contract for Crag X & we’re in full tilt fund raising mode!

The clock is ticking & we’ve got under 90 days till closing. Email & call your friends this is HUGE for southeast climbing! Even if you can only spare $10, every little bit helps. Spread the word & let’s get this thing done so we can all go climb at a new crag in early ’09!

so far we have raised over $6,000 in 24 hours - and another $8k was raised off the radar in the past 2 weeks.

Sorry for the secrecy on the name, the official announcement will be on December 5th at the Stone Fort Triple Crown bouldering comp. This project has been three years in the making.

Here’s a link with more info & to pledge donations.

http://www.seclimbers.org/...iewtopic&t=11226

A minimum $10 donation also gets you a year’s membership in the SCC. You can donate online on the SCC’s website under ‘Join Now’ & type ‘Crag X’ in the For box. But please post your pledge on the above link so we can track donations.

You can donate online here: http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=membership

just type in "Crag X" into the info box.

It’s an exciting time for SEclimbers. Let’s get this one paid for so we can move on to the next acquisition!

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

The Southeastern Climbers Coalition
http://www.seclimbers.org

Clicky

(This post was edited by kovacs69 on Nov 19, 2008, 3:04 AM)

Partner j_ung

Nov 19, 2008, 3:05 PM
Post #3 of 32 (10886 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump!

Partner j_ung

Nov 20, 2008, 5:53 PM
Post #4 of 32 (10757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bumparoo.

limeydave

Nov 20, 2008, 7:15 PM
Post #5 of 32 (10730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's another thread in General.

Maybe combine?

I'd like to see this get some attention too though, also love a good cause even if the locals are grabbing the FA's as fast as they can while hoping we'll all chip in...I don't mind, some money for you guys tomorrow. Someone save me a moderate face?? Wink

j_ungtest3

Nov 20, 2008, 8:07 PM
Post #6 of 32 (10671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll look for the other thread and see what I can do. Thanks for the heads up, Dave. Smile

Valarc

Nov 20, 2008, 8:39 PM
Post #7 of 32 (10616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ungtest3] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a direct link to the forum thread at seclimbers discussing the acquisition:

http://www.seclimbers.org/...iewtopic&t=11226

They are keeping the exact location close to the chest for now, and revealing it at the Triple Crown finale the first weekend of December. From the hints that have been dropped, I have the impression that most of the FA's have been claimed already, whether that means it's been climbed illegally, or used to be open some time in the distant past. Either way, I'm looking forward to another crag being opened in an area littered with access issues, and have sent my donation in.

ACJ

Nov 21, 2008, 2:15 PM
Post #8 of 32 (10523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bradmc] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So maybe it's just me but what's up with the secrecy? I haven't really jumped into the SCC since I moved to the southeast and this is another reason why.

Asking for money for a secret crag?
Will this be another site where you have to apply to do FA's?

I don't think I quite understand the climbing community out here but it seems to have strong support from it's climbers. Tons of money has been raised already even though I don't understand why.

The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want. I disagree with keeping things secret from other climbers and definitely don't want to be a part of regulating who can put up new routes.

I understand that they are fighting for access, I just disagree with the way they are going about it as well as how it is managed once they have it.

Can anyone make this clearer for me? Am I missing a big point here?

johnwesely

Nov 21, 2008, 3:33 PM
Post #9 of 32 (10482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ACJ] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

J_ung said that all of the FAs have been put up likely, and once the crag opens everyone will be able to climb there, it will not be a secret.

Partner j_ung

Nov 21, 2008, 3:40 PM
Post #10 of 32 (10478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
So maybe it's just me but what's up with the secrecy? I haven't really jumped into the SCC since I moved to the southeast and this is another reason why.

I don't think I quite understand the climbing community out here but it seems to have strong support from it's climbers. Tons of money has been raised already even though I don't understand why.

The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want. I disagree with keeping things secret from other climbers and definitely don't want to be a part of regulating who can put up new routes.

I understand that they are fighting for access, I just disagree with the way they are going about it as well as how it is managed once they have it.

Well... you might be. First, tell me where you moved from.

Partner j_ung

Nov 21, 2008, 3:43 PM
Post #11 of 32 (10472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
J_ung said that all of the FAs have been put up likely, and once the crag opens everyone will be able to climb there, it will not be a secret.

That's my impression. I also seem to think that this crag used to be open, then was closed.

I'm a little pissed at myself to be honest. Somebody in the know told me what crag it is, but I was a little tipsy and I don't remember. Seriously. I suppose I could just ask again, but I'm okay not knowing until it's announced.

Valarc

Nov 21, 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #12 of 32 (10446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:

I personally have no problem with the secrecy. Even in those areas where the SCC has fought and finally secured access, there are idiots there every day jeopardizing access. You need to look no further than LRC/Stone Fort to see how people are willing to abuse our agreements with land owners. LRC is privately owned, on a golf course no less, and it took a lot of compromises to get the owners to even consider allowing access. That means the admittedly annoying pass system, which is in place to limit both climber impact on the property and also the amount of the golf course parking we use. Lately, however, people have been blatantly disregarding the rules, bringing dogs when they aren't allowed, climbing on closed boulders, and coming to the boulderfield without passes. It's gotten to the point where the owners are upset and access to one of the finest bouldering destinations in the southeast could be threatened again.

My point in all of this? There are always a few rotten eggs who will selfishly put their own interests first, jeopardizing access for all of us. Access to this crag is not secured yet and until it is, I see no problem with keeping it secret. If you're turned off by that fact, then wait until the location is revealed two weeks from now, and then decide whether you want to donate.

I personally like the idea of announcing it with some drama and excitement at an event with as much positive energy as the Triple Crown.

johnwesely

Nov 21, 2008, 4:46 PM
Post #13 of 32 (10419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

That's my impression. I also seem to think that this crag used to be open, then was closed.

I'm a little pissed at myself to be honest. Somebody in the know told me what crag it is, but I was a little tipsy and I don't remember. Seriously. I suppose I could just ask again, but I'm okay not knowing until it's announced.

I am pretty sure that I know, but it will be interesting to find out on the 6th

ACJ

Nov 21, 2008, 5:30 PM
Post #14 of 32 (10382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
ACJ wrote:

I always seem to be moving but have spent most of my time in Utah and Arkansas.

ACJ

Nov 21, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #15 of 32 (10379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

Cool, I was mainly thinking about Laurel Knob and have heard the whole FA application has been a cluster. I am just wondering if they are going to continue to do this on other crags, or if it will just be a select few people who get to develop stuff and then it gets released to the rest of us.

ACJ

Nov 21, 2008, 5:35 PM
Post #16 of 32 (10377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
ACJ wrote:

There are always a few rotten eggs who will selfishly put their own interests first, jeopardizing access for all of us. Access to this crag is not secured yet and until it is, I see no problem with keeping it secret. If you're turned off by that fact, then wait until the location is revealed two weeks from now, and then decide whether you want to donate.

That makes sense.

Valarc

Nov 21, 2008, 5:40 PM
Post #17 of 32 (10374 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FWIW, Laurel Knob is the CCC, not the SCC. The FA management plan is, as far as I can tell, in place to control bolting. You've got to realize that the Carolinas have a unique local outlook on bolting, and while I'm not part of that scene, I can see how it would be very easy for bolt wars and/or chopping to become an issue if people started to do things that buck the traditions of the locals. I can't speak to how well the Laurel Knob management plan is working, but I can say I doubt it was put in place lightly.

(This post was edited by Valarc on Nov 21, 2008, 6:16 PM)

johnwesely

Nov 21, 2008, 6:01 PM
Post #18 of 32 (10356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

Cool, I was mainly thinking about Laurel Knob and have heard the whole FA application has been a cluster. I am just wondering if they are going to continue to do this on other crags, or if it will just be a select few people who get to develop stuff and then it gets released to the rest of us.

You are thinking about the CCC not the SCC. North Carolina has a very strong trad ethic and naturally the CCC just wants to make sure that FAs are put up in a responsible manner that respects the areas history. Is it a little bit of an old boys club? Sure, but if it was not for them then no one could climb a Laurel Knob.

keinangst

Nov 21, 2008, 6:16 PM
Post #19 of 32 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe part of the secrecy is to avoid premature "infighting" or complaining about priorities or preferences.

Clearly, momentum is key--I mainly boulder, but I think it's in all of our best interests to get as many areas into private climber hands as possible. Boat Rock (GA), King's Bluff (TN), Jamestown (AL), and now this one.

(I expect it to be Yellow Creek or Yellow Bluff near Sandrock and Lake Weiss, but that's my own speculation based on the fact that it's in Alabama, and most of the other crags, AFAIK, have hit big barriers with access.)

wzrdgandalf

Nov 21, 2008, 7:11 PM
Post #20 of 32 (10318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got drunk as piss with the president of the SCC at Boulderween and got them to tell me the crag, but like you j_ung I have forgotten it as well. I cant wait to hear where.

Donating even $10 will help out guys. Help out if you can.

Partner j_ung

Nov 21, 2008, 7:42 PM
Post #21 of 32 (10304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
j_ung wrote:
ACJ wrote:

I always seem to be moving but have spent most of my time in Utah and Arkansas.

Gotcha. Well, Arkansas doesn't apply to this so much, but -- and I'm speaking very generally here -- compared to the west, the east has a lot of rock on private property. The approach to access here, especially in the southeast is sort of tip-toe, tread lightly kind of thing, specifically to not upset fragile balances in negotiations. Now, I'm not saying western access negotiations aren't also delicate. I am saying that the east probably has more such negotiations going on.

saxfiend

Nov 22, 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #22 of 32 (10266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
The point you're missing, which is totally understandable, is that this crag is secret due to its history. Like a number of other crags on private property in the southeast, this one was once open to climbing but was closed down by the property owner. Now the SCC is going to be the property owner. It's taken the SCC a LONG time and a lot of hard work to get in a position to purchase this area, and until all the details are finalized, they don't want anything to happen (like climbers sneaking in) to screw up the deal. Once it is finalized, it won't be a secret anymore. So just be patient.

Before you make judgments about how the SCC or CCC manage the crags they own and open up to everyone, spend some time learning about the history of climbing down here. If not for the efforts of these two groups, several amazing climbing destinations -- the greatest examples being Laurel Knob in NC and Jamestown in AL -- would be totally off limits. Sorry you don't like the idea of regulating new route development, but it sure beats the hell out of not being able to climb at these places at all.

ACJ wrote:
The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want.
Then you're not going to like it here. As Jay said, most climbable rock in the south is on private property.

JL

ACJ

Nov 22, 2008, 2:38 AM
Post #23 of 32 (10241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saxfiend] The SCC is at it again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saxfiend wrote:
ACJ wrote:
The point you're missing, which is totally understandable, is that this crag is secret due to its history. Like a number of other crags on private property in the southeast, this one was once open to climbing but was closed down by the property owner. Now the SCC is going to be the property owner. It's taken the SCC a LONG time and a lot of hard work to get in a position to purchase this area, and until all the details are finalized, they don't want anything to happen (like climbers sneaking in) to screw up the deal. Once it is finalized, it won't be a secret anymore. So just be patient.

Before you make judgments about how the SCC or CCC manage the crags they own and open up to everyone, spend some time learning about the history of climbing down here. If not for the efforts of these two groups, several amazing climbing destinations -- the greatest examples being Laurel Knob in NC and Jamestown in AL -- would be totally off limits. Sorry you don't like the idea of regulating new route development, but it sure beats the hell out of not being able to climb at these places at all.

ACJ wrote:
The thing I like about climbing is being able to explore and put up new routes when and where I want.
Then you're not going to like it here. As Jay said, most climbable rock in the south is on private property.

JL

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm not trying to pass judgement on them, but the truth is it's hard for an outsider to show up and understand the way things are done. Again thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm sure I'll find plenty of new stuff to do both at locations that are already well known and at other lesser known but not illegal crags.

Partner j_ung

Nov 22, 2008, 2:15 PM
Post #24 of 32 (10219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
saxfiend wrote:
ACJ wrote:

ACJ wrote:

JL

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm not trying to pass judgement on them, but the truth is it's hard for an outsider to show up and understand the way things are done. Again thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm sure I'll find plenty of new stuff to do both at locations that are already well known and at other lesser known but not illegal crags.

No worries. And for what it's worth, I also don't think the new route process for LK is really optimal.

montgomerywick

Nov 23, 2008, 9:15 PM
Post #25 of 32 (10156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I drafted the purchase contract, I can tell you there is no ulterior motive for the secrecy.

We have a signed purchase contract but have not closed on the contract and will not for a few more months and the landowners do not want anyone on the property until we close...but since we need to raise money, we have to publicize the purchase to raise the cash...obvious dilemma, but we are counting on the climbing community to do the right thing and stay off the property until we close. The issue about dangling the purchase for awhile and then disclosing the area was not some snap judgment, but a decision based on considerable debate of the above issues with a mix of some marketing to raise money. Nothing wrong with that...

What are your other reasons for your apparent disdain of the SCC? We have secured access to 3 areas in TAG region, permanently mind you (Boat Rock, Jamestown, Kings Bluff), and have leased another (Castle Rock), are in the process of securing this area and constantly working on other areas...We don't expect everyone to get our "big point" (open & secure more climbing opportunities) but we will soldier on none the less...

to those that see the "big point," please help with this purchase, as no matter how small the contribution, as it all adds up.

ciao
gus fontenot
SCC Bd Member & Chief Legal Gimp

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook